April 21, 2014, 04:36:45 AM

Author Topic: How much longer will the EOS and EF system endure?  (Read 8602 times)

paul.themis

How much longer will the EOS and EF system endure?
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »
Greetings everyone! I'm a longtime lurker, with a question I haven't been able to answer through the search feature.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to when the EF  mount will be retired?

Best,

Paul

canon rumors FORUM

How much longer will the EOS and EF system endure?
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: How much longer will the EOS and EF system endure?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
Probably at least another 23 years.

At a minimum, any new 35mm format mount would be backwards compatible with EF.  For example, with the direction DSLRs have been going, I could envision the eventual need for fancy video targeted lenses that may need additional contacts for continuous AF/iris/aperture or who knows what else.  But as long as the same image circle is cast, and the film plane is at the same distance, why come up with a whole new mount?

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:41 PM »
Nikon is still using the same mount they have always had, but at the time, Canon needed to alter the FD mount to make way for auto focusing.  It is doubtful that the mount would change again.  The EOS/EF system is flexible and should be able to handle a lot more future changes.

lol

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My dA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:19:22 AM »
Let's consider what would "kill" EF mount. The only thing I can think of is EVIL, and even then that's a bit of a stretch. I'm not talking short term here, but suppose in the distant future we have an EVIL camera with AF system that is as good as DSLR phase AF in every way. That would be enough to obsolete crop sensor DSLRs, and only leave FF serving a niche position (unless Canon goes FF EVIL!), and who knows by then "affordable" medium format might be squeezing that space too.

The post above on video is interesting but I'm not familiar enough with it to guess any possible impact there. Videographers seem to be doing well enough with current kit. What lens functionality additions would increase value for video use? Consider what might be done in body as opposed to lens too.
Canon 1D, 300D IR, 450D full spectrum, 600D, 5D2, 7D, EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 70-300L, 100-400L
EF-S 15-85, TS-E 24, MP-E 65, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye

Gothmoth

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:56:17 AM »
Does anyone have any thoughts as to when the EF  mount will be retired?

of course.

the EF and EOS system will end on 22 april 2019.

::)

paul.themis

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »
I could envision the eventual need for fancy video targeted lenses that may need additional contacts for continuous AF/iris/aperture or who knows what else.

This is exactly the type of speculation I was looking for... The developments in high definition video recording make one wonder how much longer Canon will be able to utilize the same mount!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:30:29 AM by paul.themis »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:46:40 AM »
I could envision the eventual need for fancy video targeted lenses that may need additional contacts for continuous AF/iris/aperture or who knows what else.

This is exactly the type of speculation I was looking for... The developments in high definition video recording make one wonder how much longer Canon will be able to utilize the same mount!

Couldn't they simply add a couple of contacts to new lenses and new bodies, while maintaining backward compatibility with current lenses.   There's plenty of room around the mount ring.  For example, the lenses compatible with the 1.4x and 2x extenders have 3 extra contacts for the TC (there are no contacts for them on the bodies).   
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:46:40 AM »

unruled

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 10:43:06 AM »
I dont think EF will be replaced in the next 5-10 years. I think it more likely to see a change in EF-S.

paul.themis

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 12:01:07 PM »

Couldn't they simply add a couple of contacts to new lenses and new bodies, while maintaining backward compatibility with current lenses.   There's plenty of room around the mount ring.  For example, the lenses compatible with the 1.4x and 2x extenders have 3 extra contacts for the TC (there are no contacts for them on the bodies).

What concerns me the most with adding anything to the current technology, is the marginal increase in size and weight (which I believe is one of the key limitations of current photographic equipment).

Alas, what I would like to see (a full-frame system the size of today's "point and shoot" toys - and I use that terminology loosely), is probably many decades from fruition.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »
I'm going to be a party pooper and agree with bvukich's realist approach ... the EF mount isn't going anywhere in at least the next decade or two.

and, as neuro points out, if they came out with a new series of video-optimized hybrid DSLRs, there's no reason old lenses won't still work, the newer lenses would just have even more functionality.

it would be pretty cool to see some cine-lenses that are native to EF mount.

Lawliet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 05:54:13 PM »
I could envision the eventual need for fancy video targeted lenses that may need additional contacts for continuous AF/iris/aperture or who knows what else.  But as long as the same image circle is cast, and the film plane is at the same distance, why come up with a whole new mount?

You could use a kind of auto negotiation, if both camera and body support it you switch to a new protocol. Or simply increase the rate of updates to the framerate. Its an SPI connection after all. Canon could get respond times in the single digit ms range, if they want. I'd reckon the motors are the weaker links. :)

The main reason for a new mount would be a shorter flange focal distance. Nothing a simple adapter without image quality degrading optics couldn't handle.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 08:38:47 PM »
I couldn't imagine Canon retiring the EF mount any time soon, but I could imagine them adding a new line of lenses for potential mid-size bodies (a la Pentax 645 D) or EVIL bodies.

Of course, in that case there's probably gonna be adapters for EF lens anyways... ::)
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

paul.themis

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »
I really had my heart set on some arcane imaginary brand new + earth-shattering technology.

Something, ANYTHING, to prevent me from spending more money on EF lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 11:39:17 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
I really had my heart set on some arcane imaginary brand new + earth-shattering technology.

Something, ANYTHING, to prevent me from spending more money on EF lenses.

As in you're trying to distract yourself from shopping?  Or hoping there's something bigger and better out there to be spending money on?  I think you're in trouble either way

Gothmoth

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:42 AM »
As in you're trying to distract yourself from shopping?  Or hoping there's something bigger and better out there to be spending money on?  I think you're in trouble either way

or maybe he had a boring day and wanted to ask something....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 07:35:42 AM »