July 29, 2014, 10:11:50 AM

Author Topic: How much longer will the EOS and EF system endure?  (Read 8775 times)

Canonix

Re: How much longer will the EOS and EF system endure?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »
or maybe he had a boring day and wanted to ask something....

On that note, maybe I could ask this: in England, we pronounce Nikon 'Nick-on' and Nissan 'Niss-an' and Canon 'Can-on', with short vowels - especially the second - and a light stress on the first syllable. In America, I have heard Nikon pronounced 'Ny-kahn' and Nissan 'Nee-ssahn' with long vowels, and stressed second syllables: so how do you pronounce Canon? 'Ca-nahn'? 'Cay-nahn'?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 08:17:51 AM »
On our side of the pond we pronounce Canon the same way as "cannon".  Neither the american nor english pronunciations of nikon are correct, in japanese the "I" is prounced as an "ee" sound.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 02:33:01 PM »
or maybe he had a boring day and wanted to ask something....

On that note, maybe I could ask this: in England, we pronounce Nikon 'Nick-on' and Nissan 'Niss-an' and Canon 'Can-on', with short vowels - especially the second - and a light stress on the first syllable. In America, I have heard Nikon pronounced 'Ny-kahn' and Nissan 'Nee-ssahn' with long vowels, and stressed second syllables: so how do you pronounce Canon? 'Ca-nahn'? 'Cay-nahn'?

That's interesting. I knew that Nikon was pronouced Nick-on in England and Australia/New Zealand too but I didn't know that about Nissan. I think it's cool the way that works. I dont' think anyone told me how to say Nikon. I looked at it and thought "Ny-kon"
But yeah, Canon is the same. Can-on
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 09:08:55 PM »
On our side of the pond we pronounce Canon the same way as "cannon".  Neither the american nor english pronunciations of nikon are correct, in japanese the "I" is prounced as an "ee" sound.

Alright, here we go with linguistics again  ;)

The Japanese pronounciation of the term Canon (yeah, it's pretty funny to watch Canon-sponsored programs/commercials and hear the different pronounciations for the same name) is more like "Kyah-non" where the "non" sounds like the french "non".

However, the catch phrase/slogan used in the commercials seems to be unified under the English pronounciation.

All these from a company named after the Bodhisattva of Mercy (Kannon)....
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 09:08:55 PM »