October 24, 2014, 12:37:45 PM

Author Topic: Question about the 5dm3 IQ processing issues...  (Read 2106 times)

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Question about the 5dm3 IQ processing issues...
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:55 AM »
There are lots threads (here and elsewhere) regarding image quality (mostly softness related) when using Canon's DPP. At this time, there really doesn't seem to be a way to properly generate a sharp image from a CR2 captured with the 5DM3.

I find it hard to believe that Canon would put out a product that isn't as sharp as the one it replaces. They must have done substantial testing with the Camera. I believe the issue is with the software, not the sensor or camera.
So....
How did Canon process the images?

canon rumors FORUM

Question about the 5dm3 IQ processing issues...
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:55 AM »

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
Re: Question about the 5dm3 IQ processing issues...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:29:41 AM »
Canon's promo images weren't too sharp either  ;)
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 02:01:17 AM »
ACR does a good job.

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:41:00 AM »
I find it hard to believe that Canon would put out a product that isn't as sharp as the one it replaces. They must have done substantial testing with the Camera. I believe the issue is with the software, not the sensor or camera.
So....
How did Canon process the images?
For hardware testing I wouldn't be suprised if they use their own internal software that does minimal processing on the RAW data. That way the hardware team could compare results against other sensors and run statistical type tests without having to worry about 'tweaks' that were getting done by the image processing team along the way.

As long as the initial results aren't too ebarrasing I think most people are accustomed to a few firmware / software updates after a release. I guess for them it's a compromise between risking some bad initial reviews versus delaying the release because of software that can be patched later.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:01:40 AM »
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/
Bryan from TDP also noticed the problem, and is not being very quiet about his frustrations (this coming from probably the biggest canon info site on the net). But he does have a current workaround, keep watching that space for fixes...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

shizam1

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:27:17 AM »
Bryan from TDP also noticed the problem, and is not being very quiet about his frustrations (this coming from probably the biggest canon info site on the net). But he does have a current workaround, keep watching that space for fixes...

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't run his RAW files through ACR for some sort of comparison though.  I still have NO idea how much improvement the 5DII sensor is over the 5DIII with RAW images...  As well, there are some people saying the ACR conversion isn't so great either.  I have a 5DIII coming this week ( damn am I impatient! ) and I'm starting to wonder if it was a mistake to get one... I've got a wedding coming up in 6 days, and I don't think I'll be bringing it.  Sure I can take the pictures, but then I can't get a decent JPEG out of the RAW files???  Yeah, try explaining that to a bride :)

I'm just ASSUMING that Canon has at least the same IQ with the 5DIII as 5DII, and HOPING that it's at least 1 stop better after ISO 800, or else this purchse will have been a bad decision!

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »

Yeah even with ACR is makes weird result.  When you apply sharpness to image it does something weird to the file...it must be software as opposed to quality our of the sensor.  I hope we have yet to see the potential of the new sensor and will not do so until software issues are solved.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:49 AM »