November 28, 2014, 04:50:04 PM

Author Topic: MkIII for Manual Focus Primes?  (Read 1806 times)

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
MkIII for Manual Focus Primes?
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:39:49 AM »
Would you buy a 5D3 if you are using MF alt primes, handheld?
Just for the colors, noise?, features and built?
I shoot non pro, just for fun, no weddings, no sport, no cars, just life.
I am coming from a 40D, now almost on the trigger for a 5D2 and wonder if someone thinks this is nonsense.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:23:07 PM by te4o »
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

MkIII for Manual Focus Primes?
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:39:49 AM »

D.Sim

Re: MkIII for Manual Focus Primes?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:47:54 AM »
You'd *usually* go FF if you want the high ISO capabilities.. if you're staying on a tripod with a low ISO, why would you need to go for the 5D3? If you really wanted the build, the 5D2 would be fine if you go FF, but with your requirements, why wouldn't you stay on your 40D? What is it on that camera do you feel you're lacking, and that a FF camera would be able to fix?

Also: your typical amateur does not have the money for a MkIII, just saying

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 05:42:59 AM »
So, back to the topic:
Do you think a 5D3 is suitable for MF primes? WickidW seems to like the VF better than the EgS. Is f1.4 DOF viewing possible, Does the SuperAf help during MFassist on chipped lenses.
Are the colors, metering, WB really better than the 5D2?
What I am after is an improvement for mostly "simple" stationery or near stationery subjects, macro or landscape, some portraiture etc.
I presume that the children's diseases like lack of sharpness, RAW processing and black stripes will be resolved soon. They are common for many complex devices, I feel really sorry for the early adopters who have to endure lower quality pictures than expected or than in the previous model.
I wonder a bit because the DPreview samples are all quite sharp... Err, well, not all of them. Actually none, but let's say it is the lens...or the micro adjustment... Or some pre-prod issues.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:02:34 AM by te4o »
SONY RX100

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:21:33 AM »
Would you buy a 5D3 if you are using MF alt primes, predominantly on low ISO with tripod if dark, with off camera 580 II, and (I am sorry) if you don't have one single AF lens?
I am coming from a 40D, now almost on the trigger for a 5D2 and wonder if someone thinks this is nonsense.
Ah, BTW I am a typical amateur and have the money for a MkIII ;)

Well, if it was me, I'd make sure that I could focus the lenses before buying one, or buy the camera from a vendor that allows returns.

Initial reports indicate that the focus screen is not "user replaceable".

Many postings also indicate that there is little, if any, difference between the 5DIII and 5DII at low ISO.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:27:45 AM »
I was going to say no option for a focus screen but someone beet me too it. But if you only use MF lenses, you are probably pretty good at it.

Side note, I just started using some old Takuar M42 mount lenses on my 50D, these are great fun, and produce some stunning results (in some cases better then my L glass).

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:38:11 AM »
Would you buy a 5D3 if you are using MF alt primes, predominantly on low ISO with tripod if dark, with off camera 580 II, and (I am sorry) if you don't have one single AF lens?
Ah, BTW I am a typical amateur and have the money for a MkIII ;)
Yes, I'm just not sure about the IQ yet
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
For manual focus on a tripod, liveview is the easiest way to focus.  You can blow up the image to 5 or 10X and focus right where you want it.  There are shades designed to let you see the lcd in bright light as well.

I'm not sure colors would be wonderful using a flash, I prefer the color from natural light, but it depends on what that light is.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »

Joellll

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »
I'm in a similar situation with you, where I use MF pancake lenses as walkaround lens.

My experience with a 7D is that these extra focus points can tell me when I am at a certain focus, which part of the frame is on focus, which is helpful and is "eye control focus" to me. I look at the object I want on focus and start focusing until AF assist beep is heard.

In fact the AF is the sole reason why I have been waiting for the 5D3. xD

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »
Has anyone had experience with handheld MF on fast primes, alt primes like Zeiss on this camera. Ease of use with MF as compared to the old model? Focusing over VF is important, I know how to use LView.
SONY RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:39 PM »