September 23, 2014, 06:39:17 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark iii focusing issues  (Read 16435 times)

PhotoMoose

Re: 5D Mark iii focusing issues
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
The focus issue is ruining my day, so I spent the day seeing if I could convince myself I made a mistake buying. THe only thing I can conclude so far is that with my 300 f2.8 (we can all agree is a very sharp lens) it may be slightly front focused which is easy to fix on the new 5D3. You can see from the images attached that this test is non conclusive with the 24-105 f4. Real world images with the 24-105 are sharp.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »
photomoose this is EXACTLY what is happening with mine too!
APS-H Fanboy

dabocx

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
I hope i get lucky with mine, if not im just going to trade it for another or just send it in to canon.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 08:18:07 PM »
Is it possible the tolerance of the new AF system is much tighter in what it accept from the lenses, with the result that maybe more then in the past we will need MA to "bring" our lenses within the new 61 pts range?

From many different threads, a lot seem to experience some sort of erratic behavior from the AF, but all will say at the same time the new AF is great!?!?
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

PhotoMoose

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 08:39:04 PM »
I'm trying to convince myself that I agree. I sold my mkiv on the hopes that the AF would be faster and better in low light conditions and that seems to be so( I thought the mark iv was very slow in AF and awful in low light). The high ISO of 25,600 is also much better, but really for my applications I'm happy with the improvements with most real life applications like 3k to 6k ISO and they are much improved. So if adjusting the AF for each lens makes the difference I give the camera 'two thumbs up'. Logic tells me that Canon would not release a camera that was producing soft images, but am surprised that their software got out with major issues. That does give me pause.

PhotoMoose

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 09:16:54 PM »
One more example of my test. The dog was shot at ISO 800 70-200 f2.8, 1/8000, center focus point and Al Servo. I think it is more than except-able. The moose was shot at ISO 250, 300mm aperture f3.2 center focal point. Tight crop and no sharpening or color enhancement. Again, I think were off to a good start. These are from converted raw files using the Photoshop techniques available with DNG files. So these are my thoughts and results of my tests today. Would like to see other results and thoughts. Thanks everyone, I think I can sleep tonight.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »
This whole situation worries me a little. Anyway I was not going to get a 5DmkIII soon because of the price and the fact that my 5DmkII pleases me (for static subjects) and is not used too much at the same time. However being a Canon fan with a lot of lenses I would like to know that everything is OK with 5DmkIII so as to continue relying on Canon. I do not want to switch. I have started using Canon since 1988 with an EOS620 and built upon it.  Let's hope that what was mentioned here was an exception.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
One more example of my test. The dog was shot at ISO 800 70-200 f2.8, 1/8000, center focus point and Al Servo. I think it is more than except-able. The moose was shot at ISO 250, 300mm aperture f3.2 center focal point. Tight crop and no sharpening or color enhancement. Again, I think were off to a good start. These are from converted raw files using the Photoshop techniques available with DNG files. So these are my thoughts and results of my tests today. Would like to see other results and thoughts. Thanks everyone, I think I can sleep tonight.

While these are really nice Photomoose, they look a bit soft to my eye at 100% crop.  I remember seing similar shots taken with a 1DIV which were much sharper (I think from The Digital Picture with Brian or maybe it was Brian S, from this forum)...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

PhotoMoose

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »
Yes, that is my point. I made the switch from my mrkIV on the promise of improved focus. The 5Dmrk3 is much faster to focus, but not seeing better results. The improvements in high ISO is noticeable, but for my application (wildlife and scenic) shooting in the dark is not really applicable. Sharpness and speed of focus is key for me. Could the 61 point focus system be so technically advanced that many users will have difficulty using it and achieving focus? Could it be that advanced? I have established that I'm a fool for selling my mrkIV, now what is a fool to do? Return the 5Dmrk3 and than purchase what? I'm asking myself if it is time to jump ship? Considering the issues with this focus system not sure that the 1DX will be any different, after all the 1DX has the same focus system. The only other advantage of the 1DX is the weather proof body and 14 fps. I don't shoot in the rain and unless your shooting hummingbirds I don't need 14fps either. I have one more test and calibration test to do today, then its decision time. It still bothers me that canon released a camera with focus issues and DPP software that is not up to the task. Canon has been quoted saying that the software fix will take 'some time'. REALLY? What where they using when they tested this camera?

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
Is the sharpness problem due to the DPP software problem, or is it due to lenses needing microadjustment? With my 5D2, all my L zoom and prime lenses did not need any microadjustment and it seems that the focus is factory calibrated to zero MA for most lenses. I use this MA method with great results so far http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html I am just so surprised that the 5D3 has so much sharpness issue and I hope that it is more of the DPP software issue rather than a hardware issue. I am holding back my purchase of the 5D3 until the dust settles on this and a couple other issues with the 5D3.

PhotoMoose

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 10:15:42 AM »
That is part of my disappointment. I have not used the DPP software because of the known issues. I'm using the Adobe DNG converter and photoshop and than maybe importing into lightroom, but going from the converter to photoshop is the best option at this time (actually its the only option). At the risk of repeating myself, I'm uncomfortable with the fact that the camera is released without any software that can process the images. Its a big leap of faith to assume that all is well with the raw images when cannon has not released software that can process them and the raw images where not available to the pre-testers either. Since I'm not using the DPP software it seems to be a hardware issue, but It could be operator error. Maybe the focus system is so advanced that it requires schooling to achieve acceptable results. I just don't know. Learned a big lesson, never buy a pre-released product. My father taught me to never throw away your old shoes until you have a good new pair. I forgot that lesson this time.

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »
That is part of my disappointment. I have not used the DPP software because of the known issues. I'm using the Adobe DNG converter and photoshop and than maybe importing into lightroom, but going from the converter to photoshop is the best option at this time (actually its the only option). At the risk of repeating myself, I'm uncomfortable with the fact that the camera is released without any software that can process the images. Its a big leap of faith to assume that all is well with the raw images when cannon has not released software that can process them and the raw images where not available to the pre-testers either. Since I'm not using the DPP software it seems to be a hardware issue, but It could be operator error. Maybe the focus system is so advanced that it requires schooling to achieve acceptable results. I just don't know. Learned a big lesson, never buy a pre-released product. My father taught me to never throw away your old shoes until you have a good new pair. I forgot that lesson this time.

Have you tried ACR 6.7 beta?

PhotoMoose

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »
Yes that is in fact what I have been using. Also your MA calibration method is one of three that I have done. There are great deals on 1Ds mark III on ebay. This maybe my option.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »

odie

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
That happened to me when I was testing for any focussing issues with the 24L.
Opened to 1.4 and tripod mirror up focus using the middle point. The focus point and the actual focus spot was off by a little and a -5 adjustment did it perfectly.

Lent the camera and lens to a friend and he said it's soft at f/8 doing some landscape shots. Calibrated it back to +0 and everything was fine but not when it's at 1.4 >.<

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
Yes, that is my point. I made the switch from my mrkIV on the promise of improved focus. The 5Dmrk3 is much faster to focus, but not seeing better results. The improvements in high ISO is noticeable, but for my application (wildlife and scenic) shooting in the dark is not really applicable. Sharpness and speed of focus is key for me. Could the 61 point focus system be so technically advanced that many users will have difficulty using it and achieving focus? Could it be that advanced? I have established that I'm a fool for selling my mrkIV, now what is a fool to do? Return the 5Dmrk3 and than purchase what? I'm asking myself if it is time to jump ship? Considering the issues with this focus system not sure that the 1DX will be any different, after all the 1DX has the same focus system. The only other advantage of the 1DX is the weather proof body and 14 fps. I don't shoot in the rain and unless your shooting hummingbirds I don't need 14fps either. I have one more test and calibration test to do today, then its decision time. It still bothers me that canon released a camera with focus issues and DPP software that is not up to the task. Canon has been quoted saying that the software fix will take 'some time'. REALLY? What where they using when they tested this camera?

I hear you buddy.  I ask myself some of the same questions.  I really hope the 1DX will prove better.  There are too many of us experiencing softness in the image for it to be purely user error.  Something is weird here.  I am also starting to doubt that DPP issue and the fact we dont have a full release verison of LR4 that support the 5D mkIII will solve this.  I picked up my 5D mkII last night again and man I found all my pictures to be sharper!

:-\ :-\ :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »