September 17, 2014, 07:57:49 AM

Author Topic: Lens AF Calibration Question  (Read 1329 times)

iMagic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Lens AF Calibration Question
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
Normally when I buy a lens I test for AF focus myself and not surprizingly, I find that in all cases the AF is off at least a bit and sometimes quite a bit more (as in the case of a recent purchase of a 100 L macro). Normally I dont use MF adjustment and send it in to Canon for free calibration - thinking that the lens is at fault not the body. In all cases it comes back with near perfect focus on my 5d Mark II body - so I know at least my current body is not the problem. I know some of you may suggest sending lens and body in for calibration, but I would have thought that might not be the best idea in case Canon just uses the MF adjustment instead of adjusting the lens itself. In that case a second body purchase could introduce AF problems again.

Comments?

canon rumors FORUM

Lens AF Calibration Question
« on: March 26, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Lens AF Calibration Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
Canon uses a reference body to adjust the lens.  If you tell them you have a 5D MK II, thats what they use.  If you send in both they will check both against their standards.

dturano

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »
Can you take it to a local canon dealer or service center to have this done with your own setup? instead of mailing it in, I would leave it for a day or so but hate to mail it in for service.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »