May 23, 2018, 05:34:15 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III vs. D800... what comparisons do you want to see?  (Read 21097 times)

Aglet

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: 5D Mark III vs. D800... what comparisons do you want to see?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 03:35:30 AM »
same outside photo (same shot, same lighting conditions etc.) , then underexposed by 1, 2 and 3 stops and finally overexposed by 1,2 and 3 stops. Later in post processing recovered to initial parameters. This would help to test dynamic range and both shadow and highlights recovery of Canon and Nikon bodies.

That's a pretty cool idea.  I'll try that out. Unfortunately, my buddy Mike is hogging the D800, so I've only really been able to test the Mark II vs. Mark III recently.
[/quote]

+3 !  :D  Take a really contrasty, HI DR shot, hold the sky (w clouds) back from clipping and then raise the ground scene to look natural in post and let's see how clean it looks, especially if you can find and include some truly dark areas in the foreground that'll still be dark even when raised in post.  I'm looking for any pattern noise since I don't have any proper lens-cap on, shot-in-the-dark (SITD ?) photos to properly compare yet.  At all full ISO stops too, if you can.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 03:35:30 AM »

JR

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2012, 07:59:09 AM »
Wow. There went $3,500!

Yup!  funny but stupid on their part!  I guess these kids have money to waste!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

smirkypants

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »
I would like to know how they handle an action shot on a cloudy day and what kind of colors they deliver under gray or drizzly skies. There are lots of people with 300mm f5.6 lenses who shoot the occasional sports scene under bad light. Generally speaking, the photos look like utter crap and I'd like to know how these two would handle them.

Settings should be around f5.6 with a shutter speed of around 1/1000 to 1/1250 and an ISO of between 1600 and 6400.

On a 7D with a 70-300 L this is a BIG fail.

dafrank

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • davidfranklinphoto.com
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »
Here's what I want to know. I am deeply interested in nthe cameras dynamic range, especially the shadow detail after bringing up the shadows in post.

Here's the test I propose. First, take repeated shots with both cameras with their fastest lenses that you have available. Put the lenscaps firmly on both cameras. Now, go into a pitch black closet. Take a series of exposures, from, -6 to +6 f/stops from the indicated metered exposures to yield both Jpeg and raw shots, go down to your mothers' computers in the basement to load them on hard disk, and don't forget to take off your pajamas and dress in street clothes for the test - very important! On the raw files, please first lift the shadows 6 f/stops, then use the same software to raise the overall brightness of the files another 6 f/stops. Finally, convert the raw files to Tiff, but make them 400% larger than their native sizes while you do it. Now, take the resulting files, both Tiff and Jpeg, and burn separate DVD disks for both the Nikon and Canon files. Go upstairs, open the front or back door of your mom's house. Bring the disks outside. Repeatedly lay them in both the brightest lit areas in the yard and then the darkest shadowed area in the yard. Tell us, please, which disk look better, Nikon or Canon? I bet they'll both look about the same. Don't forget to wear sunglasses in the bright lit areas, as the glare off those disks will be nearly blinding!

Good luck. Looking forward to your results. ;)
Outcomes are more important than intentions.
See my work at: http://www.davidfranklinphoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2012, 10:52:24 AM »