August 01, 2014, 08:09:22 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III vs. D800... what comparisons do you want to see?  (Read 11834 times)

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
5D Mark III vs. D800... what comparisons do you want to see?
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
I told my buddy I wouldn't post this yet, since we'll be working on a thorough review and comparison of both bodies... but I couldn't wait.    ;D

We're going to be spending at least the rest of the week with both cameras, testing them in a variety of conditions.  However, we would like some input if there are any specific comparisons you would like to see.  How should we test for those comparisons?  We appreciate your suggestions.

We played with them for a couple hours today, but I'm not going to tell you my initial thoughts just yet, since we're working on a more formal writeup.  You may be surprised (both Canon and Nikon folks).  Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III vs. D800... what comparisons do you want to see?
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III vs. D800... what comparisons do you want to see?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:52:01 PM »
We have already jumped ship to Nikon (still awaiting shipment), but would be interesting to see RAW DR-ISO-Detail comparison of a colorful and contrasty scene. Basically, process the best you can with the RAWs and compare how they fare against each other in multiple settings combinations.

My initial hunch is that 5d3 will be killed in DR and detail, but will triumph D800 in noise performance by a long shot.

@!ex

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:28 PM »
Check the focus accuracy on both bodies when close and far from subject under daylight and tungsten, to see if any micro adjustment is necessary.  There have been a few reports that the 5dmk3 needs a bit of adjusting with most lenses to get really sharp shots.

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »
When you're done pixel peeping take the cameras out in the real world and see which one is more fun to use.... Seriously.

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:40 PM »
When you're done pixel peeping take the cameras out in the real world and see which one is more fun to use.... Seriously.

Both camera should be "fun" for amateurs, as they are both excellent for any, especially amateur, use. However, pros will require their TOOLS to deliver and the value to be there, beside the usual fun of taking pictures.

So, DR, detail, ISO, AF, ergonomics, fps, etc are very important.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »
I won't lie, seeing them side by side, the 5d3 looks sexier, the d800 looks rugged. Focus accuracy, ISO tests both scaled up to the d800 resolution using the best methods possible, and tests of them down to the 5d3 resolution for arguments sake. No one is questioning dr and those who are have an agenda one way or another. Color accuracy compared to a digitalized Macbeth color checker chart so there is a base to go off of instead of assumption. Other than that handling quirks and general usability. You got a split second shoot, which is easiest and more natural to pick up and start shooting.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:59 AM »
I'd like to see how the D800 files look when shot at ISO 25400 and underexposed by one stop and two stops, then pushed in post to the equivalent of ISO 50k and ISO 100k. Compare them to the Mk III at H1 and H2.

Make sure to shoot the examples in real world low low light conditions.

Test to see how little light the AF will work in. I've found the Mk III will focus in just about any light that will produce a hand-holdable shutter speed, at least at ISO 25400.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 12:19:59 AM »

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 01:34:13 AM »
You know we want the usual, resolution, DR, but yes, also the ergonomics and the user interface.

I've been using Canon for ages, they just feel natural and work intuitively IMO.  I just got a little D5100 cuz it was easier to figure out than a D7000 for my first foray into their gear and still can provide excellent IQ.

I'd like to know how quickly you can reconfigure the D800 to optimize it for a rapidly changing scene.
E.g.  Can you quickly adjust the ISO, focus mode and AF point selection, shooting mode, aperture or shutter speed and then fire off a shot in a second or 2?

I can do that with the Canons I'm used to using, despite them trying to confuse me by rearranging the button layout on nearly every new body!  And I was able to do so quickly with my first Canon DLSR.

With the D5100 or worse yet, the D7000, I struggle to locate things I want to adjust quickly.  Icons and names of functions are sometimes not intuitive or downright different.  I know more practice with it will help but user interface has often befuddled me on Nikons.  Has the D800 improved in this regard?

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 02:29:44 AM »
You know we want the usual, resolution, DR, but yes, also the ergonomics and the user interface.

I've been using Canon for ages, they just feel natural and work intuitively IMO.  I just got a little D5100 cuz it was easier to figure out than a D7000 for my first foray into their gear and still can provide excellent IQ.

I'd like to know how quickly you can reconfigure the D800 to optimize it for a rapidly changing scene.
E.g.  Can you quickly adjust the ISO, focus mode and AF point selection, shooting mode, aperture or shutter speed and then fire off a shot in a second or 2?

I can do that with the Canons I'm used to using, despite them trying to confuse me by rearranging the button layout on nearly every new body!  And I was able to do so quickly with my first Canon DLSR.

With the D5100 or worse yet, the D7000, I struggle to locate things I want to adjust quickly.  Icons and names of functions are sometimes not intuitive or downright different.  I know more practice with it will help but user interface has often befuddled me on Nikons.  Has the D800 improved in this regard?

That is our biggest concern as well... but photographers learn new interfaces and a little practice before major applications certainly help, hopefully. It is similar to OSx vs Windows... different interfaces, but people get used to switching after a while, especially if photography is what they spend their time on.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
Low light studio samples from both cameras at 1600 ISO and up.  Side by side shots to determine noise.

WilliamG

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 02:50:29 AM »
I think the photo at the top of the page tells us everything we need to know already: the D800 is clearly better at all ISOs. The dynamic range of the grip is astonishing! Look, it's clearly red whereas the MK III has no red whatsoever  :o.

TAR

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 03:08:35 AM »
and HDR , multiple exposure comparison from both cameras

NotABunny

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 03:29:16 AM »
1. Shoot some side-by-side, low light, indoor portrait (or some complex subject). For both cameras, use the same exposure time (1/200...1/50), F-number (F2...F4) and amount of light. Only vary the ISO if the sensitivity is different, in order to get photos of the same relative brightness on the display.

DO NOT vary the amount of light that reaches the sensor, or the comparison is useless! The ISO doesn't vary the amount of light that reaches the sensor.

By low light I mean that in the context of these settings, the ISO should be 6400...25600 (okay, 3200 is acceptable at around 1/50 and F2...F2.8 ). If possible, use RAWs, do not use noise reduction of any kind and convert to JPEG without post-processing.

2. Check the ability of the cameras to (consistently and *properly*) expose back-lit (preferably indoors), half-body portraits, where you use the center AF point, focus on the face and then recompose (to check that it does exposure lock; it should, but...). You might also want to test with the auto-lighting-optimizer activated (for Canon).

3. Some low light shot(s) and then apply a bunch of fill light (/ shadows) to see what dark details can be recovered.

Hey, you've asked, so... thank you anyway :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:41:29 AM by NotABunny »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 03:29:16 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:37:24 AM »
Some  'standard' images in the iso range 50-200 and f/4 to f/5.6 as this is where the majority of my images are taken

Many thanks

TAR

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:39:05 AM »
just to compare the bodys only , i would use some manual lens with Nikon adapter on both cameras , focusing manually..like samyang 14mm or some zeiss lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:39:05 AM »