November 23, 2014, 11:30:07 PM

Author Topic: Women will hate D800 *full size image*  (Read 18786 times)

briansquibb

Re: Women will hate D800 *full size image*
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2012, 12:16:32 AM »
P.S. some of you are being VERy mean to this poor girl that may have the heart of a dove. . . .

+100!

I think she was very brave to have her photo published. Let us be caring about what we write.

It is the snapper that has the problem  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:03:10 AM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2012, 12:16:32 AM »

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2012, 12:54:48 AM »
This was one of the downfalls that I saw in regards to the D800.

With that high of a megapixel count, you WILL get astonishing details.

HOWEVER, women will most likely end up not liking/hating the photo. The level of detail is so high that when inspected closely, you can see every single hair, every single wrinkle, every single blemish, any tiny makeup blemishes--all will be visible. Every single "flaw" will be apparent.

So each photo you take of them will have to be heavily processed. The processing is going to take up a LOT of your time. Plus, if you're not careful or an expert, the photos will look over-processed. By this, I mean when people touch up the skin it ends up looking too blemish-free and thus fake.
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2012, 01:59:55 AM »

HOWEVER, women will most likely end up not liking/hating the photo. The level of detail is so high that when inspected closely, you can see every single hair, every single wrinkle, every single blemish, any tiny makeup blemishes--all will be visible. Every single "flaw" will be apparent.

So each photo you take of them will have to be heavily processed. The processing is going to take up a LOT of your time. Plus, if you're not careful or an expert, the photos will look over-processed. By this, I mean when people touch up the skin it ends up looking too blemish-free and thus fake.

I think you are missing the point. With D800, if you don't want details given its processing requirements, you can always use cheap lens or even defocus lens to get the soft look. But its real power is when you DO want details. The detail is there IF you need it. If not, there are many non-pp ways to soften the images, like crappy lenses, cheap uv filters, and even mayonnaise like the olden days of dreamy portraits!

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2012, 02:00:03 AM »
P.S. some of you are being VERY mean to this poor girl that may have the heart of a dove. . . .
I think she was very brave to have her photo published. Let us be caring about what we write.

True, there is no way she would have known this innocent image would cause such a response. Nobody is having a go at HER, there is critical assessment of the technique and post production (much too heavy on the USM) of a simple innocent portrait.

We will all be better off having this discussion based on properly controlled test images shot with a shipping D800 body. I doubt we'll need to wait long for the inevitable  very technical D800 vs 5D3 comparos.

Paul Wright

briansquibb

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2012, 02:10:08 AM »

I think you will find that picture will have to be very large of heavily cropped before the extra detail comes out - the current 21/22 mp cameras show that level of detail too - just print it on 6x4 and you will be safe  ;D ;)

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2012, 06:40:54 AM »
I already get complaints like this when i take pics with my 12MP camera :P I think its not so bad. So many women got hair on their faces like that. Afterall fashion photos get edited much anyway. I think its the photographer choosing the photo and working on it. I dont think they let themselves get influenced by the models that much.

*edit*

http://h9.abload.de/img/img_0410fely7.jpg

aperture f/2.x with 50mm 1.8 II (eos 1100D). I think with f/5.6 it would offer way more detail too :)

dont remember well :P but yeah thats what women hate already when i show them... :D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:47:33 AM by sandymandy »

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »
Could the D800 be a conspiracy between Nikon and Adobe to sell more copies of Photoshop?  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 12:18:03 AM »