November 23, 2014, 03:32:02 AM

Author Topic: 5D3 Mirror Lock up use and reccomendations  (Read 5982 times)

RedEye

5D3 Mirror Lock up use and reccomendations
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:21 AM »
Hi,
Just wondering why and when people use the mirror lock up functions of the 5d3 and all DSLR cameras for that matter.  Are there any cautions once should be advised of before taking on this practice frequently?

Thanks,
Red

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 Mirror Lock up use and reccomendations
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:21 AM »

rwmson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Spirit Studios
Re: 5D3 Mirror Lock up use and reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:48:49 AM »
I use it when performing macro shots from a tripod to get the absolute sharpest photo possible.
Rebel T1i | G12 | 5D Mk III | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM AF | Canon Telephoto EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Zoom Lens

akiskev

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
I find the fact that every topic has "5D3" in its title very funny (and confusing).
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

YellowJersey

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
I think just about every DSLR has mirror lock up. You'd only use it if you were shooting with a tripod. Generally, I've found its usefulness limited to landscape, macro, and still life. Basically, mirror lock up just allows the mirror to flip up way before you fire the shutter so the camera doesn't shake at all when the shutter goes.

I find the fact that every topic has "5D3" in its title very funny (and confusing).

True.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »

Yeah, it's just crazy.  I think all but 3 threads on the fist page have 5D3 in its title.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
Just a quick tip, use one of your custom functions to enable and disable MLU and possibly along with a 2sec timer if you're not triggering remotely.

It's a shame MLU is buried within so many menus, forcing those that use it frequently to assign a C# setting to it
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
With the 70-300L on my 5DC, I can get away with exposures that are several seconds long on a tripod without mirror lock in the 70-200mm range. At 200mm-plus focal lengths, even with shutter speeds as "quick" as 1/15, mirror lock is a must to achieve maximum sharpness. It also depends on how quickly you rattle off frame after frame. At 200mm-plus focal lengths without mirror lock, you can still sometimes, but now always, get sharp images if you wait a couple of seconds between each exposure. Results also depend on wind conditions.

That said, IMHO using mirror lock is the last part of the equation. Locking up the mirror is far more effective if you don't have a sturdy tripod, or aren't using a cable release.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:49:40 PM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

RedEye

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »

Probably true, I guess with a new camera, and for me moving from a T2i to the 5D3, there are quite a few new features and it covers the responses by being more specific. 

Thanks.

RedEye

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »
Just a quick tip, use one of your custom functions to enable and disable MLU and possibly along with a 2sec timer if you're not triggering remotely.

It's a shame MLU is buried within so many menus, forcing those that use it frequently to assign a C# setting to it

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
5D3 Mirror Lock up use and why it's easier on a D800
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »

Nikon has a button for everything, and every button in its place...

See what I did?  I made this a 5DIII vs. D800 thread.     :P

Seriously, I don't mind it being 'buried'.  First off, one tip for that is to add it to My Menu then set My Menu to display first, that provides easy access.

But personally, I think a C# dedicated to tripod shots makes a lot of sense.  If you're going to enable MLU, you are probably shooting landscape, macro, still life, etc., as YellowJersey suggests.  Thus, you probably also want to use the self timer, ISO 100, etc.  So, I just assign all of those to C1.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wcksmith

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • BTO Photos
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
Here's another tip on mirror lockup - if you are shooting landscapes & macro on a tripod, then I've found it best to use Live view to frame.  Because it has to move the mirror out of the way to show you live view, it is the same as mirror lockup.  On the 5DII you could not autofocus in live view without pressing another focus button.  With the 5D3, you can zoom 10X to the spot you want to focus on, press the shutter release half way down, and it will focus on that specific spot, giving you a green box overlay when it has achieved focus. 

With the new view screen, it's really sweet because of the resolution, even at 10x.  You can verify with your eye whether or not it's in true focus.  I've found it to be very accurate.

The major point - when you use live view, it's the same as mirror lockup.  It's how I shoot all landscapes & macros.  With the 5DII it was manual focus at 10x.  with my new 5DIII, it will be auto focus at 10x.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
The major point - when you use live view, it's the same as mirror lockup.

Not exactly - it's better.  Live View uses an electronic first curtain, so not only do you get the reduction in vibration from MLU, you also get a small additional reduction in vibration from the first shutter curtain.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ZoeEnPhos

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • ©­­®¹
    • View Profile
    • ZoeEnPhos
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
The major point - when you use live view, it's the same as mirror lockup.

Not exactly - it's better.  Live View uses an electronic first curtain, so not only do you get the reduction in vibration from MLU, you also get a small additional reduction in vibration from the first shutter curtain.
Hello Neuroanatomist! Thanks for this information about Live-view vs MLU! Thank you too wcksmith for this initial advice! I was just trying to get this fact confirmed about using live-view when the focusing is critical and when
need to reduce the vibrations from the mirror slap to minimum!
Very good to have this cleared out! Thanks a lots!

Zoe
Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »