June 23, 2018, 04:41:53 AM

Author Topic: Bring Back Karma – NOW!  (Read 8795 times)

solarpos

Re: Bring Back Karma – NOW!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
The system was seriously flawed and brought out the worst in people with their anonymous online strong arm/bully attitudes.

Examples:
I love my 7D so I'm automatically an asshat/idiot to 50% of the populace and I'm not going FF so I'm an idiot/asshat to another large portion of CR forumites. I don't give the 'correct' responses to why I like/love my gear to even those who like/love the same gear so I am a noob etc etc.

I am a photographer, not a photographer like you or like you but my own style with my own experiences and knowledge base. Hate me for it? Well the smite system supports that hate.

Thank you for removing it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »

JR

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »
Honestly, look at how many smites Neuro got . . . how is that possible for a real content contributor?

Where is Neuro!  Did not see him post in several days...I hope all the smites did not get to him!  Come back!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »
Karma is really a sketchy thing, and difficult to nail down whether it was valuable or not. I was pretty even with karma for a while, and when I started bringing science, math and a little factual reference to the table, my smites grew to double my applauds. I don't think people like having their shiny, etherial wonder-worlds where everything they believe in their heads is also exactly true in reality (be it about something they hate or love), and when someone bursts that bubble with a little honesty or truth, they smite smite smite! I'd figure thats how a guy like Neuro has 80% as many smites as he has applauds...people don't like having their fanciful bubbles burst, even if they are burst with factually valid information.

I personally ignored karma most of the time. In some cases you might see someone with 5 applauds and 50 smites and their posts were pretty reasonable, just not what people wanted to hear. In other cases you might see someone with 50 applauds and 5 smites, and they were a raging troll. Then there were the even keelers like Neuro, or briansquibb (who seemed to have a null rating at all times, equal applauds as smites), when most of the time he was just trying to keep the mood light, and half the rest of the time he was keeping people honest.

I think a better system might be a LIKE system, with a "reported violations" rating off in some other place (i.e. the Like and Report Violation links far away from each other.) Likes can only be positive, and would generally only be given when someone posts something useful. Reports, if done right, would be harder to issue and hopefully would only be used in cases where someone was blatantly a troll out for lulz, or other offenses. Both rankings would be shown, kind of like applaud and smite, but hopefully "reports" would be far less frequent in most cases.

kdsand

• EOS 80D
  • Newt II a human stampede
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 09:23:04 PM »
Perhaps if everyone could see how often you smite others in addition to your actual karma points and posts. If its apparent someone is just here to bash others then....
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
 :)
7DII, 60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and etcetera etcetera

pwp

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
Honestly, look at how many smites Neuro got . . . how is that possible for a real content contributor?

Where is Neuro!  Did not see him post in several days...I hope all the smites did not get to him!  Come back!

Where is Dr Neuro? He's probably got a life. And a professional life.
The experience behind the quality of his endlessly generous posts has to come from somewhere.
He's probably working!

Paul Wright

D_Rochat

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
It's better to have more moderators than the so-called karma system. The karma system is open to abuse by irresponsible and immature members and can be unfair to many. Just my 2 cents

Agreed. I haven't noticed a higher amount of nasty posts since karma was removed. In fact, I've noticed the opposite. To be fair though, it may be partially due to the 5D craziness settling. Just don't feed or encourage the trolls and they'll move on. Unfortunately the Internet is full of <insert choice word> and they'll never go away completely.

D_Rochat

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »
Perhaps if everyone could see how often you smite others in addition to your actual karma points and posts. If its apparent someone is just here to bash others then....
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
 :)

I like it! Take away the gutless anonymity and we would have seen fewer smites.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 09:55:23 PM »

kdsand

• EOS 80D
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 10:07:16 PM »

The experience behind the quality of his endlessly generous posts has to come from somewhere.
He's probably working!

Paul Wright

So naive -- the entity you call Neuro is actually just a brain in a box that slowly gains control of people for its own nefarious purpose.  :'(
7DII, 60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and etcetera etcetera

D_Rochat

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »

He's probably working!

Paul Wright

So naive -- the entity you call Neuro is actually just a brain in a box that slowly gains control of people for its own nefarious purpose.  :'(

JR

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 10:25:39 PM »
you guys are funny!

1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

kdsand

• EOS 80D
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »

He's probably working!

Paul Wright

Lol

Please someone Photoshop a camera and flash into its hands!

kdsand

• EOS 80D
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »
It would be a hoot and a half if administration set the picture as his profile and wait to see his reaction.
 :o

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »

LOL.  On vacation, visiting family in CA.

...one I'd probably enjoy having lunch and discussing photography with....

If you're ever in Boston, let me know!
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 11:37:17 AM »

well_dunno

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
i think trolls wre responsible for most smiting, maybe the cutoff for being able to give karma should need like a minimum of 100 post count, something high, as trolls would likely get bored or banned before they get that many posts

I totally agree, but can we make the minimum 1500 posts? That would leave you, Neuro, Mt Spokane and Brian as the only ones potentially guilty on smites.  ;D  Just being silly! ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:37:30 PM by well_dunno »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »
I like it! Take away the gutless anonymity and we would have seen fewer smites.

The problem does not seem to be that there wouldn't exist ideas for a working implementations of a Karma-like system, but that the current system doesn't allow for them due do "black box" design and nobody seems to be around to expand it.

Actually it would be quite an honor to program a system that credits good posts, keeping trolls away but still prevents newbies to get stomped for being clueless and at the same time reflects the credibility of acknowledged experts. Since nobody ever came up with a working system, I guess it's safe to say that this is something to get a phd for.

Because even quick fixes for more accountability didn't seem to be doable, after this time w/o karma I think the site does better than before, but I said that before a lot of times. Trolls cannot take over if there is enough healthy substance, and this is clearly the case in this forum.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »