April 19, 2014, 06:35:24 AM

Author Topic: Bring Back Karma – NOW!  (Read 3732 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Bring Back Karma – NOW!
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
I just spotted this on another thread:

Gee I miss the karma system... some of the comments are just getting out of hand -_-

I too have noticed the amazingly rapid degeneration on this site since Karma was dropped. People suddenly feel the urge to insult one another, use negative stereotypes and call each other names. I'll bet if you did a word search on "fanboy" in the last week you'd find the frequency about 10 times what it used to be.

In less than two weeks this site has gone from one of the most civil and helpful forums on the web to sinking down there with so many other sites on the web, where drive-by comments, name-calling and denigrating other users is the order of the day.

Time to admit the experiment was a failure and bring back the Karma. Whatever its flaws. It worked.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

Bring Back Karma – NOW!
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Back Karma – NOW!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »
I think that the influx of new posters and trollers is bringing it on.  New members are good to have, but trollers make me disgudsted.  rather than Karma, just ban them.

thepancakeman

• 7D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:17:06 PM »
Actually I just started a different thread on the same topic (the rapid degeneration of this forum) but was blaming it on new traffic due to the 5D3.  However I threw a mention of the karma system in there as well.

Not sure what the cause is, but we definitely seem to be in a downward spiral around here.

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »
I think the karma system also was affected by the trolls. smite rate had increased lately for posts that were basically stating opinions...

I hope it goes over when the hype cools down!..

Perhaps bringing back the karma but increase the number of posts after which one can smite or applaud could improve the situation?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:52:45 PM by well_dunno »

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 07:26:08 PM »
Only bring back the Karma if it can be reconfigured which I understand at this point it is very limited.

If you could see what posts you got dinged or applauded for plus you were prevented from dinging the same post (and maybe poster) over and over then I might be interested

What I learned in the last several weeks was, if you post your opinion (or preference) and in a non-threating way, you will get smitten by someone.

mrmarks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:17 PM »
It's better to have more moderators than the so-called karma system. The karma system is open to abuse by irresponsible and immature members and can be unfair to many. Just my 2 cents

CrimsonBlue

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »
Maybe it's just the threads you're reading.  I think people have been pretty civil now that the 5D is finally shipping.  Fewer people will be frothing at the mouth about the 1DX lag time so hopefully it's smooth sailing. 

Karma never seemed to be a deterrent for idiotic behavior anyway.  I for one am glad it is gone. 
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
Yes, now that the dust has settled on the 5D3 launch, you'll see a big drop in flaming posts, drive-by shootings and hype fueled antagonism. But it's as easy to ignore as inbox spam. You just don't give it an atom of your attention.

It's a simple matter just to skim straight past the negativity and focus on the quality contributions. It's interesting, if you look for sh.. chances are you'll find plenty of it. But if you put your attention on the gold, chances are that's what you'll see. So like life...

Since the welcome demise of the karma system I've seen an increased willingness from posters to express an opinion, and offer a sometimes unique & personal viewpoint.  How good is that?

Karma or no karma...you're always going to get a percentage of trolls and flamers. If you don't give them any fuel, the fire soon goes out.

Thanks here to the mods.

Paul Wright

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:56:33 PM by pwp »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
I think that the influx of new posters and trollers is bringing it on.  New members are good to have, but trollers make me disgudsted.  rather than Karma, just ban them.

+1.  I for one am glad Karma is gone.  I think it was used for the wrong purpose.  If people become insulting, maybe instead we could report them to the site master and have a system to ban them instead, but I would keep Karma out if it was up to me...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
I think it helped keep things civil.  i think it should be brought back.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »
I think it helped keep things civil.  i think it should be brought back.

I disagree.  It definitely had a chilling effect on my posts. It was abused by cowards that couldn't civilly disagree with you or support why.

Honestly, look at how many smites Neuro got . . . how is that possible for a real content contributor?
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:12 PM »
i think trolls wre responsible for most smiting, maybe the cutoff for being able to give karma should need like a minimum of 100 post count, something high, as trolls would likely get bored or banned before they get that many posts

I liked karma
APS-H Fanboy

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
Honestly, look at how many smites Neuro got . . . how is that possible for a real content contributor?

I believe Neuro's Karma was still to the positive, and reasonably balanced, so I look at is it as his being a respected, if sometimes contentious, member of this forum... one I'd probably enjoy having lunch and discussing photography with. I'd be much less inclined to do so with someone who had all positive Karma, or all smites. The first because they only play the safe, consensus, view... the latter, because they are likely just as unpleasant, ignorant and obstinate in real life.

I would like to see Karma/Smite reinstated, as I believe it helped identify trolls. I used it as a reference often, I figure if the community consensus had a persons Karma/Smite reasonably balanced then that person was worth having a dialog with. On the other hand if the person had 50 smites and only 4 Karma, then I know that person is likely a troll and I can save my breath trying  to engage in a reasonable dialog with them. 

As it stands now, there seems to be a number of trolls still operating, and now I have no way to identify them at a glance, so we all risk getting sucked into the pot they are stirring... out of ignorance or amusement.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:38:50 PM by Wrathwilde »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 08:31:20 PM »
I too would like to see Karma/Smite reinstated, as I believe it helped identify trolls. I used it as a reference often, I figure if the community consensus had a persons Karma/Smite reasonably balanced (or Karma rich) then that person was worth having a dialog with. On the other hand if the person had 50 smites and only 4 Karma, then I know that person is likely a troll and I can save my breath trying  to engage in a reasonable dialog with them. 

As it stands now, there seems to be a number of trolls still operating, and now I have no way to identify them at a glance, so we all risk getting sucked into the pot they are stirring... out of ignorance or amusement.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

I was not a troll, but had a lot more smites than cheers. This was because of the position I chose concerning the 7D, 7D mk II, APS-C vs APS-H, MP vs ISO, MP vs DR...

The smiting being gone is perhaps a good thing. Perhaps not, but, it seemed to me that I got randomly smitten even when I had not posted...
What is truth?

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
I too would like to see Karma/Smite reinstated, as I believe it helped identify trolls. I used it as a reference often, I figure if the community consensus had a persons Karma/Smite reasonably balanced (or Karma rich) then that person was worth having a dialog with. On the other hand if the person had 50 smites and only 4 Karma, then I know that person is likely a troll and I can save my breath trying  to engage in a reasonable dialog with them. 

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

what he said

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »