September 30, 2014, 08:03:18 AM

Author Topic: 5DM3 auto lighting optimizer and high ISO NR  (Read 1211 times)

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
5DM3 auto lighting optimizer and high ISO NR
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
Does anybody know this:

Auto Lighting Optimizer
Does the auto lighting optimizer get applied to raw images? The book says (p 142) that  "with jpeg images, the correction is applied when the image is captured." To me that implies that the raw correction is applied at a different time. Thoughts? Or is it not applied at all to a raw image? Would it be applied to a DPP raw but not a DNG conversion?

Next up.
High ISO NR
This is a very misleading menu title in my opinion. The menu title says "high" but the book (p 143) says the NR is applied to all ISO speeds. Raw images that are viewed in camera have NR that "looks minimal." Does DPP add to the minimal NR automatically? Is there minimal NR applied to a DNG converted raw?

Thanks for any info.
Canon's instruction manual is as awesome as their DPP software. :)

-MS
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 01:29:50 PM by msdarkroom »

canon rumors FORUM

5DM3 auto lighting optimizer and high ISO NR
« on: March 27, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5DM3 auto lighting optimizer and high ISO NR
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »
Auto Lighting Optimizer
Does the auto lighting optimizer get applied to raw images? The book says (p 142) that  "with jpeg images, the correction is applied when the image is captured." To me that implies that the raw correction is applied at a different time. Thoughts? Or is it not applied at all to a raw image? Would it be applied to a DPP raw but not a DNG conversion?

ALO only applies to JPG images.  However, there's a flag for it in the RAW metadata that DPP will recognize and apply.  Other RAW converters will ignore it.

High ISO NR
This is a very misleading menu title in my opinion. The menu title says "high" but the book (p 143) says the NR is applied to all ISO speeds. Raw images that are viewed in camera have NR that "looks minimal." Does DPP add to the minimal NR automatically? Is there minimal NR applied to a DNG converted raw?

It's applied to all ISO settings, but more NR is applied as ISO increases.  DPP applies similar NR, although you can change the defaults.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 5DM3 auto lighting optimizer and high ISO NR
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »