December 22, 2014, 02:57:58 PM

Author Topic: white balance issues  (Read 12651 times)

87vr6

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: white balance issues
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »
I'm by no means good at the whole post process thing, but I do use DxO, after being kind of tired of DPP's (percieved to me) limitations...

Here's straight off the camera raw turned into a jpeg with no editing:

And the PP'd one using DxO:

For a quick job, I think it looks good enough to me. FWIW, the unedited picture was taken with AWB. Pictures are from my 5D MK2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 08:42:50 PM »

Jarveye

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 05:20:45 AM »
thats impressive correction, thats borderline what i would consider too far gone to correct, ill have to try that DxO optics, untill now ive always just used photoshop.

i am guessing you somehow ha to mask off the actual yellow items so they remained yellow?

JRSJ

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »

87vr6

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »
thats impressive correction, thats borderline what i would consider too far gone to correct, ill have to try that DxO optics, untill now ive always just used photoshop.

i am guessing you somehow ha to mask off the actual yellow items so they remained yellow?

Nope. DxO takes care of it all. It's an EXTREMELY smart program, it burns up some processing power. No masking layers or anything. Just simple adjustments. Download their trial, it's good for 30 days. That's what I did, then I sprung for the 200 dollar elite version I liked it so much.

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 11:16:36 PM »
Good post of examples - I need to explore that DxO program again.  I've been using a WhiBal card and don't touch the WB in post at all - it's usually dead on with florescent or tungsten light much like what you've show in your sample images
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

nocojoe

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 12:01:42 AM »
How is DxO Optics Pro Elite any different than photoshop when it comes to white balancing? The sample picture in this thread look like a 30 second job in Adobe Camera Raw. 

87vr6

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »
How is DxO Optics Pro Elite any different than photoshop when it comes to white balancing? The sample picture in this thread look like a 30 second job in Adobe Camera Raw.

I never said it was... The OP was talking about DPP and it's limitations. I use DxO, hence any examples I have to show are from DxO.. They're priced similarily, so use what you want.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 11:25:30 AM »
How is DxO Optics Pro Elite any different than photoshop when it comes to white balancing?

If you mean adjusting WB directly in Photoshop, there is a significant difference.  DxO is performing the adjustment on the RAW file, meaning there's no loss of image quality when you alter the WB.  Photoshop is adjusting a converted file, meaning changing the WB degrades IQ.  But, if by 'photoshop' you actually mean Adobe Camera RAW, then it's probably no different - you have the same two adjustments, temperature and tint, and ACR is working on the RAW file.

Generically speaking, DxO is analogous to Adobe Camera RAW, not Photoshop.  ACR converts RAW files into a format that either Photoshop or Lightroom can use for subsequent editing.  DxO is not an image editor, it's a RAW converter.  But IMO, it does a better job than ACR at RAW conversions, in part because the DxO corrections are generated from laboratory testing of specific camera+lens combinations.  ACR now offers lens-based corrections as well, but they are not as accurate (they are estimates and apparently some are derived from user-submitted profiles).  Also, ACR does a fair bit of 'black box' processing based on what Adobe engineers think make images look good, and those changes are automatic, invisible, and can't be turned off.  DxO can has presets with the same goal, but you can choose to use them or not.

Personally, I really like DxO.  I found that it certainly does a better job than DPP at RAW conversions (comparison HERE).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »
neuro, in looking at that comparison, I couldn't help but notice that the DxO images all look like they have had significant noise reduction, sharpening, and contrast boost applied to them against the DPP images.  is that something that can be turned off?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
neuro, in looking at that comparison, I couldn't help but notice that the DxO images all look like they have had significant noise reduction, sharpening, and contrast boost applied to them against the DPP images.  is that something that can be turned off?

Certainly.  For those, I just used the Default v2 preset and those are the pre-defined adjustments.  But there are settings for each of the adjustments, and you can turn them off or adjust them as you like.  You can also easily define your own preset, or different ones for different shooting situations, and process images through those.  Or go through each image one by one and tweak as you want. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 08:55:28 AM »
but what i mean is:

the camera set ti 2500K was still yellow (warm) under those horrible lights

i know that under those lights i will likely never get a perfect white balance,

what i am asking is, how did the camera set an even colder than 2500K white balance using the custom white balance? and why is this ability not available manually? because if i could i would have set the white balance half way between the coldest i could (2500K) and whatever setting it did using the custom WB, as one was too blue and the other too yellow

In answer to your original question. It is quite possible that the "Auto WB" settings have a wider range than the manual WB options, just like flashes in manual mode can only go down to 1/128 (or 1/64) but in ETTL they can go lower, but I doubt it, just look at the EXIF to see what the camera actually set and I am sure you will see the true difference is probably the tint value.

If you are just using the ºK value in manual WB you are missing the key Tint element to the WB equation. The camera, in auto WB, will assign a temp and tint value, in manual ºK the WB will not have a tint value applied.

As Neuro points out the capabilities of WB adjustments in DxO and PS ACR are the same, but the key to the van shot is RAW, WB corrections do not work on jpegs. If you are shooting in such difficult scenes regularly i would suggest relooking at an efficient RAW workflow, it takes no more time because you have batch and action recording capabilities in ACR/PS, they are much more powerful than in camera jpeg processing.

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
I concur with what everyone is saying regarding shooting in RAW then using something like DxO or LR.  But every once in a a while, the color balance/temperature just does not seem to be acceptable no matter how hard I try (I am my own worst critic).  Just last night I was doing post on a night shot and the streetlight glow gave me unacceptable color.  I struggled with that even trying to patch and clone in PS but that lost some of the details that I was trying to capture.  Finally, I did what one must sometimes do............gave up on the color altogether.

If I am not happy with the outcome, there are occasions where I just might convert to B&W.  Is that sacrilege? 
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »
I concur with what everyone is saying regarding shooting in RAW then using something like DxO or LR.  But every once in a a while, the color balance/temperature just does not seem to be acceptable no matter how hard I try (I am my own worst critic).  Just last night I was doing post on a night shot and the streetlight glow gave me unacceptable color.  I struggled with that even trying to patch and clone in PS but that lost some of the details that I was trying to capture.  Finally, I did what one must sometimes do............gave up on the color altogether.

If I am not happy with the outcome, there are occasions where I just might convert to B&W.  Is that sacrilege?

I've been there too, usually due to mixed lighting in a theater or street shot. Nothing wrong with going B&W - it's only your photographic vision that matters.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »