December 12, 2017, 02:03:32 AM

Author Topic: Ken Rockwell Updated 5D MK3 Review  (Read 42426 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
Re: Ken Rockwell Updated 5D MK3 Review
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »
All This talk of features is pointless and redundant.

Cameras have only had 4 important settings. Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO and Focus. Once that wisdom shines through, everything else is just Fluff and you become the highest order of photographer. The one that makes a great photo with a brownie box camera or a uber pro 1DX with a F1.0 1-500MM lens.

Let the Flames Begin. 8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2012, 12:24:17 PM »
Ah Beavis... When did Kutcher EVER sling Canons?  Jackie Chan was the celeb for Canon... Kutcher has and is for Nikon.

Beavis?

I stand corrected. I swear I saw Kutcher in old Rebel ads.... Guess not.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
Look at the camera and strap in the movie "A lot like love"...

Canon guy.

XanuFoto

« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
Its Ken being Ken.

D.Sim

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
I AM Ken Rockwell and you've all been had!

[sarcasm]

WOW GUIZE, WE'VE GOTS A SELLABREETEE AMONG US

[/sarcasm]

Cameras have only had 4 important settings. Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO and Focus. Once that wisdom shines through, everything else is just Fluff and you become the highest order of photographer. The one that makes a great photo with a brownie box camera or a uber pro 1DX with a F1.0 1-500MM lens.

Let the Flames Begin. 8)

Aperture is on the lens, not camera =P and shutter speed..... how? =P

BillyBean

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2012, 01:27:04 PM »

Cameras have only had 4 important settings. Aperture, Shutter speed, ISO and Focus. Once that wisdom shines through, everything else is just Fluff and you become the highest order of photographer.

Ok, I see your point. So I have a beautiful Agfa Record II dating from 1952, which has manual aperture, shutter speed, ISO from 6 to 6400 (via film selection) and of course, manual focus. It has no meter, no autofocus, no through the lens anything (guess if it's in focus!)

It fits in my pocket (it's a folder) and delivers a 6x9 negative from 120 film, which I reckon works out to around 100MP or higher once scanned.

You can pick one up in mint condition for about £20.

What's not to like?

Does rather beg the question of why you are on this forum though!

markko

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »
Having used the 5Dmk3 for about a week now I have to agree with KR that the AF system is the area that I have to get used to most.

I've owned the 300D, 20D and the 1Dmk3 (used it for the last 4.5 years). I'm used to toggle between AF 'modes' (spot AF and 'auto-AF' (where the camera will pick the focus points, choosing from all available points)) just by using the little joystick on the back. Press once: go to the center point. Press twice: switch to the 'auto-AF' mode.

With the 5Dmk3 this is not longer possible to do (as far as I could figure out). First you have to press the AF button, then use the M-Fn button to toggle between the AF modes. You can disable modes that you don't want, but you still have to use another button than the joystick to switch between the AF modes. Hopefully they will fix this with a firmware update, because it's just silly to add extra steps in the selection of the AF modes.

Another thing that quite annoys me is that the focus point is black in the viewfinder. If you're shooting in a dark place it's impossible to see what AF-point you're using. Hopefully they can fix this as well with a firmware update, because now at times you're wondering why the damn thing isn't getting focus, finding out that the focus point is at another place as you're thinking. I prefer the red AF-point in the viewfinder of my 1Dmk3.

Other than that: I love the camera :D And I will even be more in love when the battery grip will finally arrive!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2012, 02:22:50 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • AW Photography
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2012, 04:48:21 PM »
With the 5Dmk3 this is not longer possible to do (as far as I could figure out). First you have to press the AF button, then use the M-Fn button to toggle between the AF modes. You can disable modes that you don't want, but you still have to use another button than the joystick to switch between the AF modes. Hopefully they will fix this with a firmware update, because it's just silly to add extra steps in the selection of the AF modes.

Another thing that quite annoys me is that the focus point is black in the viewfinder. If you're shooting in a dark place it's impossible to see what AF-point you're using. Hopefully they can fix this as well with a firmware update, because now at times you're wondering why the damn thing isn't getting focus, finding out that the focus point is at another place as you're thinking. I prefer the red AF-point in the viewfinder of my 1Dmk3.

Other than that: I love the camera :D And I will even be more in love when the battery grip will finally arrive!

If I'm not mistaken, this is the same AF proceedue with the 7D and people got along with it great for 2 going on 3 years so far.  Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature although quirky at first... also with the VF, it's black points but if i'm not mistaken, doesn't it blink red when it confirms focus?  That should help with the AF selection being in the wrong spot or so you thought.  I'll give it to you it can be hard to see at times and would be nice if they gave an illumination option like the top LCD so you can at least see your AF configuration.  I guess if your in doubt, live view will give you a better idea of your AF system in the dark. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L IS, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 2 430EX 2's and a partridge in a pear tree.

Larry

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »
I have to set the camera on my lap and use both hands on the right hand side.
Am I missing something?

Thumbs perhaps?

Someday, I'll find a way to get even with you for a near miss on a liquid-damaged MacBook Air.  Fortunately, I'd just swallowed my sip of coffee before reading your response and bursting out laughing.

A metaphysical +1 to you, Sir...

Another +1 ... concise and incisive! ;-)

EvilTed

« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2012, 08:09:37 PM »
All humor aside, this was a serious question  ;D
How does one use the combination of the buttons next to the LCD display and the control wheel (top or back).
Given that they are all located on the right hand side of the camera?
You must be activating the buttons with your thumb and rotating the wheel with your fingers.

Can you draw a diagram please?

ET

Diego

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »
Wow, This is comforting, I think it was the only one who thought that Ken Rockwell was an idiot  8)

DavidRiesenberg

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2012, 03:50:12 PM »
All humor aside, this was a serious question  ;D
How does one use the combination of the buttons next to the LCD display and the control wheel (top or back).
Given that they are all located on the right hand side of the camera?
You must be activating the buttons with your thumb and rotating the wheel with your fingers.

Can you draw a diagram please?

ET

The buttons near the LCD are not hold buttons. You don't have to keep pressing them to adjust their settings. So you simply press one of them and then move your finger to the top dial and rotate it. voila !!!

riogrande100

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
To be fair to Ken have you seen his latest update? He prefers the 5D Mark iii over the Nikon d800!!!
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Reviews aside when it comes to day to day use he prefers the 5D Mark III!!!!

Whilst Canon did not deliver an amazing megapixel camera, what they did produce is a photographers camera!By the sounds of it an extension of the eye!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
To be fair to Ken have you seen his latest update? He prefers the 5D Mark iii over the Nikon d800!!!

Reviews aside when it comes to day to day use he prefers the 5D Mark III!!!!

Whilst Canon did not deliver an amazing megapixel camera, what they did produce is a photographers camera!By the sounds of it an extension of the eye!

;D ;D ;D You must not praise Canon kit as it attracts the anti Canon trolls  ;D ;D ;D

peederj

• EOS 80D
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
Wow he tossed a logic bomb into this forum...  ;D

22 June 2012, Friday

Canon beats Nikon - this year

I know most of you are Nikon shooters and the world thinks I'm some sort of Nikon Icon, but like any other good horserace, the two contestants sometimes swap positions.

The 5D Mark III is significantly better than anything Canon's ever done. Its many little advances all add up to a huge improvement over anything ever from Canon, while the D800 takes a few steps backwards with its clumsy ergonomics and sloppy color balances. Therefore, this year, Canon beats Nikon. It's not every year, but this year, it's Canon.
This year, the Canon 5D Mark III really is much, much better than the Nikon D800 when you actually own both and shoot them every day and produce results for a living — and no camera company is paying you for endorsements so you can speak freely. The little things that bugged me at first about my D800 and D800E still bug me, while the smooth élan with which my 5D Mark III dispatches its tasks continues to make my 5D Mark III the camera I always grab first.
With experience, I now have my 5D Mk III running like a seamless extension of my imagination, while my D800E still gets in my way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »