November 23, 2014, 08:06:15 AM

Author Topic: Ken Rockwell Updated 5D MK3 Review  (Read 27612 times)

EvilTed

Ken Rockwell Updated 5D MK3 Review
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »
Seems like he doesn't like the AF either....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/5d-mk-iii.htm

canon rumors FORUM

Ken Rockwell Updated 5D MK3 Review
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »

Astro

Re: Ken Rockwell Updated 5D MK3 Review
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
Seems like he doesn't like the AF either....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/5d-mk-iii.htm

well it´s not as if he has a clue.
except maybe taking oversaturated images or snapshot of his kids.

ps: imho it´s not a clever idea to quote ken rockwell on a photography forum.

EvilTed

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:05:59 PM »
I agree he is a bit of a tool at times, but he does seem to capture some of the problem areas others are finding with the 5D MK3.
I found it an interesting read...

ET

BillyBean

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
ps: imho it´s not a clever idea to quote ken rockwell on a photography forum.

Please, let's stop bad-mouthing Ken and for sure stop bad-mouthing people who mention him - that's just plain ridiculous. If you don't like his opinions, then either say why, or don't comment. It's as simple as that. Everyone has a right to an opinion, even Mr Rockwell.

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
It comes from a 5DmII perspective, and of course he's got a bunch of other toys he has played with.  I am surprised by his AF comments given how legendary the crappy AF is on the 5DmII - sounds like learning curve on his part,

But if you are coming from a 7D because you could not see buying a four-year old last generation FF, I am delighted about the new generation 5DmIII.  And the camera feels very familiar control wise.  And my pix are far less noisy - I find it funny that the 7D quality was snorted at for the past few years (and it was deserved) and now D800 folks are using it as a fine example.

Must be the price.  That $499+ has somehow turned the 5DmIII into a Kodak Instamatic for some critics.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:19:32 PM by Arkarch »
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

Astro

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »
Please, let's stop bad-mouthing Ken and for sure stop bad-mouthing people who mention him - that's just plain ridiculous. If you don't like his opinions, then either say why, or don't comment. It's as simple as that. Everyone has a right to an opinion, even Mr Rockwell.

and i have an opinion about ken rockwell.. easy as that :)

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
It's become to cool thing to do- bash kit lenses, bash Nikon/Canon, bash Rockwell.  I cannot for the life of me really understand why he bothers people.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »

BillyBean

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 12:20:06 PM »
OK, enough of the Ken stuff already. But getting to brass tacks, and given that I will almost certainly be getting a 5D3 in the coming months, do his concerns hold any water? What's the answer to the following for example:

"I'm still trying to learn the extremely complex AF system of the 5D Mark III. I still can't figure out a fast (one-click maximum) way to get from the auto-AF area select mode to a single selected area. I always shoot letting the camera select the AF point, and need instant override to select the point if the camera can't do it itself. Right now, I have to press the Mark III's [-|-] button and then press the M-Fn button a few times, an then move the thumb button, which is completely unacceptable unless I can find a faster way."

Canon-F1

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »
ken "support my growing family" rockwell has some nice opinions.
and every day they change.  :D

it depends on what article you read if image stabilization, tripods, film, more megapixel etc. is either useless or the best thing since sliced bread.

i bet in 2 month he will write how great the 5D MK3 AF is.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 12:30:44 PM »
He lost me when he was griping about the AF speed in full auto af mode, which is proving to be one of the worst AF setting the camera (or the 7d) has... and then he glosses over the speed when you choose spot or any other mode.  Then he says he has to take his eyes off just to change AF mode settings... once you got the multicontroller activated, 1 click (or multiple clicks depending how you look at it) on the Multifunction button cycles through your AF modes, just like the 7d... it's not that hard.  Oh well he's good for entertainment i suppose. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »
It would make sense if the autofocus is slow, that would difference this camera a bit more from the 1D X (which has two processors)
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

EvilTed

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »
He does praise the 5D MK2 as being better than any Nikon camera until the D800 :)
I wouldn't go that far but I agree, bad-mouthing someone on a forum is cheap.
If you don't like him, don't read his stuff.

I'll add one extra point he missed (coming from Nikons), how the hell is one supposed to change settings easily on the 5D MK2/3?

On a Nikon the function buttons are mostly engaged with the left hand and adjusted with one of two right thumb wheels.
Cannon seems to have a bank of function buttons on the right and the wheel mounted on the right in front?
I cannot for the life of me understand the ergonomics of this.
I have to set the camera on my lap and use both hands on the right hand side.
Am I missing something?

ET

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »
It would make sense if the autofocus is slow, that would difference this camera a bit more from the 1D X (which has two processors)

The AF mode he's mentioning, the full auto, is a bad setting meant for beginners....  Basically your asking a camera to read the scene, and read your mind as to which of the 61 AF points you wish for the camera to make in focus... The 7d, which has the same mode style AF system was just as bad, and had 2 processors, just like the 1dx, but digic 4 processors...  Once you tell the AF hey, evaluate only this sensor or this zone area of 12 sensors, it computes it that much quicker... The AF isn't slow... it's the same AF module as the 1dx, it's just got that much more to process and gets the blame when it doesn't read your mind correctly. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »
i like my MK III, Ken who?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
...do his concerns hold any water? What's the answer to the following for example:

"I'm still trying to learn the extremely complex AF system of the 5D Mark III. I still can't figure out a fast (one-click maximum) way to get from the auto-AF area select mode to a single selected area. I always shoot letting the camera select the AF point, and need instant override to select the point if the camera can't do it itself. Right now, I have to press the Mark III's [-|-] button and then press the M-Fn button a few times, an then move the thumb button, which is completely unacceptable unless I can find a faster way."

His concerns seem, to me, to be incapable of holding even hot air.   :P

But for this particular brass tack, I don't have a 5DIII, but on my 7D and 5DII if the camera happens to be in automatic AF point selection mode (which it never is, because the 'mind-reading AF selection mode' hasn't been invented yet), pressing the multi-controller straight in changes to manual selection of the center AF point, and then it can be moved from there.  KR implies that can't be done with the 5DIII, but the manual seems to indicate he's mistaken (about a great many things, cue Emporer's voice from Star Wars).  Alternatively, you can register an AF point, and assign a button to that function.

A couple of my favorite points from KR's...ummm...review (and I use the term very loosely):

"If it was significantly different, Canon would have given it a new model number, instead of a "mark" appellation."  Right, because KR didn't say the 5DII was far better than the original 5D (oh, wait, he did).

"AF is much more complicated, not necessary better than the original 5D and 5D Mark II."  Ummmm, ok, sure...it's no better than the 5D's AF.  By extension, neither is the AF of the 1D X.  Ok, Ken, fine.

...and my personal favorite:

"Foolish RATE Button Clutter"  A Nikon shooter, complaining about 'button clutter' on a Canon camera.  I actually LOL'd when I read that heading line...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »