September 19, 2014, 06:24:01 PM

Author Topic: Ken Rockwell Updated 5D MK3 Review  (Read 26939 times)

EvilTed

Re: Ken Rockwell Updated 5D MK3 Review
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »
He is a Nikon, Canon and Leica shooter.

I don't see him as biased against Canon at all, in fact he has a lot of praise for the 5D MK2 and MK3?

ET

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 01:08:20 PM »

No, he's a self-described Nikon fan, who also happens to shoot with Canon and Leica cameras on occasion, the better to increase the number of hits on his website, the better to make money.  Nothing wrong with that, but it's important to recognize the motivation.

I don't see him as biased against Canon at all, in fact he has a lot of praise for the 5D MK2 and MK3?

You've heard the phrase, "Damning with faint praise," haven't you?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 01:12:41 PM »

ET

You must have missed his original pre-release version he had with the camera before he deleted it and made the full review in it's place... he originally slammed the 5d2, saying it smeared details, the NR was cooking the details away from the scene, the D700 was far and away superior yada yada yada... after reading that, and having a good glimpse of my budget at that time, I decided against buying the 5d2 upon first release... it was only afterwards I got a good glimpse of his reputation, and once he changed his review, and upon recommendations from neuro and many others, I decided to get the 5d2 temporarily until I could get the 5d3.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has a revised review in a year or two once the camera goes mainstream and starts getting accolades. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »
Kens reputation is well known by most photographers.  Quoting him is going to bring on warning comments and should.  It is similar to those saying oh, look at tscamcamera store, they have a 1D x in stock for $500. 

At least, he does post a warning that it is all for fun, and you should not take his posts seriously.

From his site

"Apparently the world finds my opinions very useful, but remember, they are the opinions of one man. I have a big sense of humor, and do this site to entertain you (and myself), as well as to inform and to educate. I occasionally weave fiction and satire into my stories to keep them interesting. I love a good hoax. "

Canon-F1

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »
he watermarks productshots clearly taken by the manufacturer with his tag.
something i would never do.

and he is to blame that many beginners crank up the saturation to redicilous amounts.

http://sfcitizen.com/blog/2008/04/20/why-photographer-ken-rockwell-is-wrong-wrong-wrong-about-using-vivid-color-settings/

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
I have to set the camera on my lap and use both hands on the right hand side.
Am I missing something?

Thumbs perhaps?

roumin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
It’s a fact that you attract more attention by pointing out the negative, whether they really exist or not. But I still don't understand people's obsession with gear over technique.  I am certain most of the world's prized photographers could have been achieved with lower grade camera than 5d2, 5d3, d700 or d800, etc...

I bought one of the first's Nikon 1DX (equivalent to D3) when it was the hottest new digital DSLR on earth thinking that's what I needed because I loved photography so much, but it wasn't until I began to focus on technique and less on gear that my stuff started to improve.  I switched to Canon since then, not because of quality, by because they have and continue to have (in my opinion) a more user friendly menu system and camera controls.

FYI, I just received my 5D3 and like most of you, love my gear, but 80% of my focus is still on technique, plus my choice is easy since my glass is Canon.

I have yet to hear one world renowned photographer tout one brand over another, BECAUSE THEY GET IT!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »

BillyBean

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 01:36:43 PM »
...do his concerns hold any water? What's the answer to the following for example:

"I'm still trying to learn the extremely complex AF system of the 5D Mark III. I still can't figure out a fast (one-click maximum) way to get from the auto-AF area select mode to a single selected area. I always shoot letting the camera select the AF point, and need instant override to select the point if the camera can't do it itself. Right now, I have to press the Mark III's [-|-] button and then press the M-Fn button a few times, an then move the thumb button, which is completely unacceptable unless I can find a faster way."

His concerns seem, to me, to be incapable of holding even hot air.   :P

But for this particular brass tack... 

Thanks ! This is exactly the type of informed response I wanted to see. Love him or loath him, Ken does get read, especially by newbies, and I'm afraid I don't have enough knowledge (yet) to tell whether he is mistaken or not, so your input is very helpful indeed...

Canon-F1

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 01:36:58 PM »
FYI, I just received my 5D3 and like most of you, love my gear, but 80% of my focus is still on technique, plus my choice is easy since my glass is Canon.

I have yet to hear one world renowned photographer tout one brand over another, BECAUSE THEY GET IT!

well this is a forum about the technical, gear related, side of photography... what do you expect?

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 01:39:04 PM »
I tried to read his "review" but I just can't do it. I'm sorry, I just can't stand this guy. His gripes are so... I try not to use the word dumb... perhaps petty? It's not even that he's pro Nikon. There are other pro bloggers that are obviously pro Nikon that I still find entertaining. But when he says that the most advanced AF system out right now is "too complicated"... I just can't listen to him.

Especially with the set up of the AF system is generally the same as the 7D's (but with more points) and I've been using that AF system with all it's modes (mostly single point) all the time with no real problems...

I'm not even smart and have learned it, studied it, practiced with it and made good use of it.  ::)
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
Am I missing something?

Thumbs perhaps?

Someday, I'll find a way to get even with you for a near miss on a liquid-damaged MacBook Air.  Fortunately, I'd just swallowed my sip of coffee before reading your response and bursting out laughing.

A metaphysical +1 to you, Sir...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 01:46:41 PM »
i am only going to say one thing ken rockwell shoots jpeg can you really take anything he says seriously lol

roumin

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
I know what kind of forum this is, but I was hoping to turn on some lights.  Plus, technique is a technical term, duh!  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »

EvilTed

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
Yeah, but having two thumbs on the same hand ?  ;D

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Am I missing something?

Thumbs perhaps?

Inspired !!  ;D ;D ;D
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »