April 19, 2014, 10:46:38 AM

Author Topic: Noob first Canon camera: 5DMk3, You can't use the RAW stills yet?  (Read 8873 times)

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Noob first Canon camera: 5DMk3, You can't use the RAW stills yet?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »
wait.. your first camera ever, DSLR wise, and just to start learning will be the 5Dmrk3 ?!?! if i am not mistaken, and that is the truth, isnt that a bit overkill?
Cheaper in the long run than buying a lesser camera and having to upgrade to get what you really wanted later.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 05:35:48 AM »
LR 4 will be supporting the 5d3 as of an update next week.

msdarkroom

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 07:23:26 AM »
This week actually. Wait a day or two and you should be good to go.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
wait.. your first camera ever, DSLR wise, and just to start learning will be the 5Dmrk3 ?!?! if i am not mistaken, and that is the truth, isnt that a bit overkill?

Well, I was going for the 5D mk2, but saw the new mk3 was coming out, so, I've been waiting and researching for months....but yes, that's what I want.
I've usually been the type in most things in my life, to find something I want to learn or do or buy....and I save and get the very best I can get, rather than spend little bits here and there....and often in the end, spend more money doing the lower end things, rather than saving and being patient a bit...and just getting the best I can for my money, and for longevity.

Also, I was introduced to the whole FF thing with the 5D mk2 about a year ago...on a video shoot I was in down here in New Orleans, and I saw them filming with this DSLR and I was facinated. I've been working with these guys, and others...there is a HUGE booming industry down here with movies, and all sorts of things shooting here, due to the tax breaks. They're calling this Hollywood south.
Anyway, right off to bat...I will likely be able to start earning some money back to pay on the camera with people I know that need to have multiple cameras for shoots down here...and I can provide that with my new equipment.  I think this will be a blast to learn and meet people in this industry. I'm trying to teach myself audio and video editing too.

Also, I'm learning now from people that are pro still shooters...and while at first, stills will be for my pleasure...I'm hoping I can work with them and maybe eventually shoot some things for $$....heck, I'll even try my hand at the stock photo and video sites I find out there.

Do I plan to make tons of $$ or a living out of this? No.
Anythiing at all paying back to the camera purchase is good for me...but I want this to use as a tool for me to learn with...enjoy as a hobby. I live in a city where there is TONS of stuff to shoot stills....and I'm going to also start shooting a 'show' idea I have at home with myself and friends....

So, there's lots of reasons to buy said camera, I have lots of plans for use, 99% of it personal and for fun.

But I've always been the type to where if I found something I wanted...I'd research it to death, and find the best I could possibly afford (not always the most expensive by the way)...and I'd save and go for that and get a lot of use out of it.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 10:55:43 AM »
<snip>
What software do you use to edit images?  There are several good ones.

Well, I'm trying to figure out what software to use.

I have a new mac pro...was hoping to start with iPhoto and iMovie to begin with.

I'm more of a linux person (I don't do windows very often), and was hoping to maybe work with open source tools like the GIMP http://www.gimp.org/ for stills, and Cinelerra http://cinelerra.org/ for video.

I've also seen interesting things you can do in bulk with tools like ImageMagick http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php.

I'd like to try Adobe...but after spending so much on first camera and a prime lens...was hoping not to have to break the bank on software to use it with too.
:(

I'd not heard of Lightroom..will have to look into it.

Out of the Adobe stuff...what is the best to get...if I went that route...is it a whole suite? I saw some neat videos of people showing After Effects for video....I want to do both stills and video...what's the route most people go if using commercial software?

Anyone else out here a linux person and trying any of the tools I mentioned above?

Thank you,

cayenne

johankh

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
Hello !

This picture is edit in DPP and RAW converted to JPGs editing in High Quality mode.

Canon EF 1.4x III Extender, Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM, Canon Eos 5D Mark III,

1/1600, f9,0, ISO 1600

nvsravank

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
Adobe LR 4 will receive an update this week that includes RAW support for the 5D MkIII

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_update_from_the_team_update_scheduled_for_this_week

Thanks for the link and the confirmation on 5D III is in the comments. Finally hopefully we can get our pixel peeing out of the way and get back to taking pictures with the new toy.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

aZhu

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »
Hello !

This picture is edit in DPP and RAW converted to JPGs editing in High Quality mode.

Canon EF 1.4x III Extender, Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM, Canon Eos 5D Mark III,

1/1600, f9,0, ISO 1600

That's a beautiful shot. Love the details on the feathers

stipotle

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 12:50:11 PM »

Thats a bit of a suprise, but then, they lowered the cost enough so that the new version is not a big expense, and the DNG converter is free and will work with all versions of photoshop and lightroom.

I do have LR4. 

I now have a 2nd copy as well.  I took advantage of the $69 B&H deal for LR3 on Feb 15, and got a free upgrade to LR4.

I also took advantage of the B&H deal, but might I ask how you got a free upgrade to LR4? Is it an Adobe deal for those who got LR3 a week before LR4?

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »
This week actually. Wait a day or two and you should be good to go.

Yeah, I cant wait to re-processed all my pictures with the revised LR4 coming out later this week to see the impact on the RAW image...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
Hello !

1/1600, f9,0, ISO 1600

Nice shot, so you converted that in DPP with the factory settings, not changing them as per many threads?  I'm having great success with DPP and my 5D3 too, after a little learning curve.

| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

johankh

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
Thanks, yes, factory settings and High Quality mode, it looks fine to me 
(Sorry for my poor English )

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
Thanks, yes, factory settings and High Quality mode, it looks fine to me 
(Sorry for my poor English )

Ironic thing is, your english is better than many native English speakers online, for example —Youtube.

| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 03:22:03 PM »

Thats a bit of a suprise, but then, they lowered the cost enough so that the new version is not a big expense, and the DNG converter is free and will work with all versions of photoshop and lightroom.

I do have LR4. 

I now have a 2nd copy as well.  I took advantage of the $69 B&H deal for LR3 on Feb 15, and got a free upgrade to LR4.

I've been looking at the Adobe site...I must say, I'm a bit confused as to what all of their products I'd need...?@?!<P>
There's photoshop, photoshop extra stuff....premier...lightroom...after effects....etc.<P>
There seems to be a lot of overlap in them...not sure what all I'd need (I want to do stills and video).<P>
And geez....they're expensive....where's the best place to get these at the best price?
Getting the new 5D and a prime lens is going to tap me for a bit....<P>
I"d posted earlier in this thread about open source software....does anyone here use these? (GIMP, Cinelerra, etc)

TIA,

cayenne 

I also took advantage of the B&H deal, but might I ask how you got a free upgrade to LR4? Is it an Adobe deal for those who got LR3 a week before LR4?

rporterfield

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
For the free upgrade see this link: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-policy-product-announcement.html

I bought Lightroom 3 when it was on sale 2/15/2012.  We will see if I qualify for the free upgrade.
5D Mark III, 24-105

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »