October 20, 2014, 10:14:03 PM

Author Topic: This web site is making me question why I lurk here  (Read 10766 times)

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
This web site is making me question why I lurk here
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »
As a long time lurker and recent active poster I continue to be shocked by the thrashing, whining and crying here regarding the real and imagined limitations of the 5D Mark III. If you read Nikon Rumors ( you should it is very informative and professional) nothing like that happened there with their two recent introductions and there were almost no catty attacks at Canon as you find regularly against Nikon and any firm that doesn't worship Canon properly or at the same time knock it down appropriately.

What I find most interesting is the crappy quality of 90% of the photos that  these anxious  obsessives have posted here to get feedback. I'm talking about crappy composition, worthless lighting, impossible focusing situations, horrible white balance and basically most norms of decent photography violated in the service of complaining, worrying or hand wringing.  Much of this was just impulsive childish behavior - pure and simple. When you can't tell the trolls from the faithful things have gotten out of hand.

That all said, of course there are issues and the camera, as amazing as it is, did not meet all the expectations and there have been some surprises. How could it?  There were compromises made along the way - ie. 22 vs 36 Megapixels  - there would have been complaints either way. You can just make a list but from where I sit it is was mainly cup half empty or half full. I have played with two copies and I would love to have one!

I wonder what the reception would have been if it was priced $1,000 cheaper? Would it have been received with less anger and skepticism. Don't get me wrong. It is all not emotional but, I'm afraid, much of what is written here sounds like what a grammar school child that is waiting and waiting and waiting for a beanie baby would write. It could never meet all the needs once it was shipped from Amazon. Was the packing enough for my beanie baby? Should I have waited for another color? What is coming out next?

There is a lot of very worth while information also available here from very knowledgeable shooters but the nut cases and the unstable one are winning out. I have learned a great deal about Canon products and photography in general reading here. That is why I lurked and will lurk.

In closing....if your blood pressure has risen since the introduction and you are hitting refresh every few minutes, take a chill pill, learn basic photography first, read the friggin' manual, do the necessary adjustments to the camera and its settings ( don't be a d0uche!) and finally take some decent shots that you can share for feedback and assistance. Most importantly buy from a retailer that will calmly accept your return. That is a sane option if this camera is ruining your life and, of course, there will always be Nikon. :)

I find early adopters without the proper risk taking temperament are the root cause of most the problems here. Canon's product has become secondary. Thank god the introduction of the flagship model will cost almost what a car costs. The angst will mainly be virtual.

canon rumors FORUM

This web site is making me question why I lurk here
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: This web site is making me question why I lurk here
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
IBTL

Interesting post, but get the flame-proof suit on.  I'll agree I've learned lots from many on this forum; you just have to pick and choose what you want to read. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:26:25 AM by Daniel Flather »
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

eskoeunmo

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:54 AM »
so true, so many gear nerds.  It's also crazy how people are getting 5d2/3's as a first dslr.  I just got a 5d3 after many years shooting on a crop, and going full frame is amazing.  I love my 5d :)

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
so true, so many gear nerds.  It's also crazy how people are getting 5d2/3's as a first dslr.  I just got a 5d3 after many years shooting on a crop, and going full frame is amazing.  I love my 5d :)

+1
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

photophreek

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »
AnselA great post and I couldn't agree more!  I will continue to read the posts here for information and entertainment value.  However, it seems that the valued information is a dismal second place to the entertainment value.  :-[

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »
This is well written and I have to say I heartily agree. I'm glad someone took the time to state some of the issues I was feeling.

I also read Nikon Rumors and am sorry this site is not more like that one. I find this site as informative but only after I chop through the all the underbrush. I am a regular reader here every week.

I have owned kits from both companies and feel Canon balances what my needs best. I hope there is a 7D Mark II in my future...

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »
Feel that?  I just gave you an e-hug.  Totally agree.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 10:48:21 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
As a long time lurker and recent active poster I continue to be shocked by the thrashing, whining and crying here regarding the real and imagined limitations of the 5D Mark III. If you read Nikon Rumors ( you should it is very informative and professional) nothing like that happened there with their two recent introductions and there were almost no catty attacks at Canon as you find regularly against Nikon and any firm that doesn't worship Canon properly or at the same time knock it down appropriately.

What I find most interesting is the crappy quality of 90% of the photos that  these anxious  obsessives have posted here to get feedback. I'm talking about crappy composition, worthless lighting, impossible focusing situations, horrible white balance and basically most norms of decent photography violated in the service of complaining, worrying or hand wringing.  Much of this was just impulsive childish behavior - pure and simple. When you can't tell the trolls from the faithful things have gotten out of hand.

That all said, of course there are issues and the camera, as amazing as it is, did not meet all the expectations and there have been some surprises. How could it?  There were compromises made along the way - ie. 22 vs 36 Megapixels  - there would have been complaints either way. You can just make a list but from where I sit it is was mainly cup half empty or half full. I have played with two copies and I would love to have one!

I wonder what the reception would have been if it was priced $1,000 cheaper? Would it have been received with less anger and skepticism. Don't get me wrong. It is all not emotional but, I'm afraid, much of what is written here sounds like what a grammar school child that is waiting and waiting and waiting for a beanie baby would write. It could never meet all the needs once it was shipped from Amazon. Was the packing enough for my beanie baby? Should I have waited for another color? What is coming out next?

There is a lot of very worth while information also available here from very knowledgeable shooters but the nut cases and the unstable one are winning out. I have learned a great deal about Canon products and photography in general reading here. That is why I lurked and will lurk.

In closing....if your blood pressure has risen since the introduction and you are hitting refresh every few minutes, take a chill pill, learn basic photography first, read the friggin' manual, do the necessary adjustments to the camera and its settings ( don't be a d0uche!) and finally take some decent shots that you can share for feedback and assistance. Most importantly buy from a retailer that will calmly accept your return. That is a sane option if this camera is ruining your life and, of course, there will always be Nikon. :)

I find early adopters without the proper risk taking temperament are the root cause of most the problems here. Canon's product has become secondary. Thank god the introduction of the flagship model will cost almost what a car costs. The angst will mainly be virtual.

AnselA, you make a number of valid points. I read it a number of times.

Like Daniel, I agree, you need to absorb the useful stuff and loose what you do not need. I strongly suggest you chill. The "rest" will get by. Do what you do best.

I recommend 2 to 4 shots of single malt whiskey (of your choice) followed by a walk on the beach - without reaching the waterline...

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
Great read, thanks for sharing.

I am conscience of the issues you're speaking of, and were trying to figure out a solution to change the dynamics of some of the conversations.

I always appreciate people that "report" posts, we do read those and usually agree and take the appropriate action. Anyone can do it.

Thanks
Craig
canonrumors.com

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »
Nice post and I'd mostly agree with the comments by yourself an others.  However, I personally think of this site not as a photography (how to) site, but a camera hardware site.  As such, people who know more about hardware than photography should almost be more welcome here than great photographers with no hardware understanding.  Now, I did say almost because both sides have things to offer.

But that difference still dones't explain the complaining that your complaining about (ironic isn't it...and I love it).

And I'll leave this post with the infamous last words of my uncle Bob who said "A truck!"
(joke credit to Emmo Phillips)

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »
RE: Posted by: rpt Today at 10:51:32 PM

I strongly suggest you chill.

If you read the article carefully you would realize your comment is rather silly and totally misses the point. What was presented was a reasoned and calm description of one person's point of view on what has been going on here. I think it needed to be said and it will resonate with many here.

EvilTed

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
+10

Most of them didn't make the switch to another system either like  I did (Nikon to Canon) and if they did we'd never hear the end of it :)

Is the 5D MK3 perfect?
No, but I'll wager it is better than I am ;)

I'm here to learn primarily.
There's nothing to be learned from bashing people or equipment.
Study yoga, take a chill pill, relax, who knows, you may take better photos...

ET

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »
However, I personally think of this site not as a photography (how to) site, but a camera hardware site.  As such, people who know more about hardware than photography should almost be more welcome here than great photographers with no hardware understanding.  (joke credit to Emmo Phillips)

Agree.  But to know your hardware, you have to know how to use it.  And that's the OP's point.  A lot of people, for example, are saying 'the 5D3's focusing sucks.'  However, they are coming from an XTi and don't understand absolute basics of how to set focus. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:19:54 AM by eeek »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 11:21:18 AM »

Agreed, And I love how peeps like to post their gear lists but dont like to link to there portfolios to backup their work. :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:24:16 AM by RLPhoto »

Enthusiast

• Power Shot G7X
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
Thanks AnselA this is so true. I always be suprised how many people are talking about cameras they had never in their hands. Everybody shall buy what fits best to his needs and D800 and 5D mark III are fitting to different needs in some detail. I do have a M3 in my hands for 3 days now and I can only say, it´s a phantastic camera fitting my needs perfectly. But does everybody, blaming Canon for that camera, realy knows his needs and what he´s talking about? I have my doubts here!
S95, 40D, 5D MIII, EOS 3, Rolleiflex 3.5F - Tamron 17-50 2.8, Sigma: 15 2.8 Fisheye, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 105 2.8 macro, 70-200 2.8, Lensbaby Composer

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »