September 20, 2014, 07:59:07 AM

Author Topic: Canon smarter than we think  (Read 14174 times)

Raddy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon smarter than we think
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »
Their best move was to make the 5D3 available to the hungry crowd before a possible entry-level FF announcement.

I still can't get it how many people did complain about the hight price of the 5D3 and how many people pre-ordered the 5D3 at the same without having seen any decent review.  ;)
Well, hooray... That's the way we show Canon what we think of their prices!
I also got the feeling that there is also a huge number of people who picked the 5D3 as their first DSLR.
This forum is about to collapse in case Canon really announces a nice FF DSLR (possibly even a MP beast) in the range of 2000-2500 bucks.  ;D
5D Mark III (gripped) | 60D (gripped)
EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Speedlite 430EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2012, 05:49:51 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
Their best move was to make the 5D3 available to the hungry crowd before a possible entry-level FF announcement.

I still can't get it how many people did complain about the hight price of the 5D3 and how many people pre-ordered the 5D3 at the same without having seen any decent review.  ;)
Well, hooray... That's the way we show Canon what we think of their prices!
I also got the feeling that there is also a huge number of people who picked the 5D3 as their first DSLR.
This forum is about to collapse in case Canon really announces a nice FF DSLR (possibly even a MP beast) in the range of 2000-2500 bucks.  ;D

Well hooray indeed +100 haha
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2012, 09:09:24 PM »
I own a 7D, several primes, 2 L lenses, 2x583EX2's, Elinchrom 500W strobes, and now am buying the 5D3.  But you know what?  Still my coffee set up costs more than my photo gear put together.
That must be one expensive coffee machine!

Actually, for coffee what is considered most important (aside from fresh beans) is the quality of the grinder.  This isn't the same grinder I have but I have a similar:  http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/grinders/mazzer_super_jolly_electronic

Some of the better home espresso machines will also easily cost more than the MD3.

Those are my two hobbies.  I'm a coffeegeek and I like photography.  Some day I hope to be good at both (I'm good at neither at the time).

Good lord you have some expensive hobbies.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
I own a 7D, several primes, 2 L lenses, 2x583EX2's, Elinchrom 500W strobes, and now am buying the 5D3.  But you know what?  Still my coffee set up costs more than my photo gear put together.
That must be one expensive coffee machine!

Actually, for coffee what is considered most important (aside from fresh beans) is the quality of the grinder.  This isn't the same grinder I have but I have a similar:  http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/grinders/mazzer_super_jolly_electronic

Some of the better home espresso machines will also easily cost more than the MD3.

Those are my two hobbies.  I'm a coffeegeek and I like photography.  Some day I hope to be good at both (I'm good at neither at the time).
Perhaps if you drank less coffee you'd have steadier hands for your photography :)
Can't say I've ever heard someone refer to themselves as a coffeegeek before... Start the brand! Combine your two loves and start shooting shots for CoffeeGeek you could get them made into T-Shirts and iPhone cases on RedBubble!
Ah... just burst my own bubble and googled it... http://coffeegeek.com/ brand is already taken I'm afraid... Ah well... the good ones usually are taken... :)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2012, 09:41:52 PM »
Sure id like to spend $500 or more less than i did for the 5dm3, who wouldn't. Thing is this camera is the do all camera and doing it at a pro level. The shortcomings don't exist. I could have paid $500 more just to have that focus system of the flagship 1Dx but i got way way more. My brides will love me. :) Isn't that what its about?

Those complaining about price want the camera like an itch they can't scratch but if they needed the features they would find a way and sacrifice to get it. The cost too much argument is invalid with what this camera is capable of. The 5dII was not an upgrade path for me since while excellent in many ways it basically just had a diff sensor and screen and not much more. This camera however does not leave you wanting.

I do believe Canon may have done the Apple thing and piled up supplies before launch so they could have a profit unleashing when people are hot for the product, if that is the case they made a good move because a couple years ago it was hard to get a lot of things from canon without a wait, if they are smart they will have a larger pile than the vacuum of interested buyers can purchase until sales taper and are more measurable.

As far as marketing. This product reveals that they did take the input and apply it, thank you Canon, keep it up! As far as i am concerned this is the D700 alternative not the 5dm2. The D800 is totally diff so i dont believe it should be compared. Kudos to Nikon though, they blew Canon us on Isos and no one saw it coming 5 or so years ago with the d3 now they take canon on the sensors. Nikon had canon with flash and metering but maybe Canon will take that from them now with wireless transmitting flashes and new advanced metering. I wonder what the next leap will be that forces the other to rethink...

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:47:37 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »
So much complaining about the 5D MKlll price. Well, it's not a MK ll so why should it be priced the same.
And what about value and features ? I have a 300 F4 lens and a 300 f2.8 lens. I spent over $3,000 more for the faster lens to gain on thing, one f stop in speed and that's all. In fact the f4 has IS and the 2.8 doesn't.
For those who think the price of the new camera is too high for what they get, the MK ll is still available and at reduced prices.  Everyone gets a choice and both of them are good.

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »
@unfocused.  Interesting observation sir!  It also seem to align with the fact Canon seem to have decised to segment the market in several buckets and come out with a specific camera for each bucket.  This is why I beleive we are seeing more model coming soon like a video specific model to sit between the C300 and the 5DmkIII for example (The famous 4k model) or the fact they will likely have a high MP model at one point.

Nikon seem to have taken a different approach with two major pro camera for all the segment (D800 and D4) where Canon might have 4-5 models in total when we are all said and done.

Will be interesting to see this one pan out!

The only people who appear to have been left out in the cold so far are wildlife shooters, through the loss of f/8 AF.  That makes me wonder if Canon has a plan in that segment. - Could the 4K DSLR be coming with an APS-H sensor (cropped to Super-35 for video) and f/8 AF to satisfy the market of (wildlife) documentary makers, working in the field under adverse conditions? - That would allow them to work with a single camera for video and stills.  Of course, that is total speculation!
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 11:04:38 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:13 PM »
@unfocused.  Interesting observation sir!  It also seem to align with the fact Canon seem to have decised to segment the market in several buckets and come out with a specific camera for each bucket.  This is why I beleive we are seeing more model coming soon like a video specific model to sit between the C300 and the 5DmkIII for example (The famous 4k model) or the fact they will likely have a high MP model at one point.

Nikon seem to have taken a different approach with two major pro camera for all the segment (D800 and D4) where Canon might have 4-5 models in total when we are all said and done.

Will be interesting to see this one pan out!

The only people who appear to have been left out in the cold so far are wildlife shooters, through the loss of f/8 AF.  That makes me wonder if Canon has a plan in that segment. - Could the 4K DSLR be coming with an APS-H sensor (cropped to Super-35 for video) and f/8 AF to satisfy the market of (wildlife) documentary makers, working in the field under adverse conditions? - That would allow them to work with a single camera for video and stills.  Of course, that is total speculation!

I think the key difference here is volume. Even small towns of less than 5,000 or so have at least one or two wedding photographers (not necessarily just weddings of course). In a city of 100,000 there might be 20-30 (maybe more). But, how many wildlife photographers are there in a similar size city? (meaning people who earn their living shooting wildlife) Probably less than one.

My original point was that Canon knew the market and developed a product that would satisfy that market. Read some of the comments on these posts from wedding photographers. They seem to be very pleased with the Mark III.

As for further differentiation...I don't know enough about either the market or the relative cost of development to venture a guess what further differentiation would be worth the investment for Canon.

My original point was just a simple observation.  There has been a lot of self-obsessed complaining on the internets from people who didn't get exactly the camera they wanted. But, from a business perspective, it sure looks like Canon figured out a need and focused in on it with laser-like precision. I admire that kind of corporate skill.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2012, 12:07:38 AM »
I had a morning using the 5DIII and it didn't seem any better or faster than my 1D4

Hmmm, is the 5D3 AF as good as the 1D4 Brian? Is AF any better in very low light? The 1D4 isn't that hot in the dark. It's about the only disappointing thing about the Mk4.
I shoot 1D4 and am currently considering a 5D3. High performance AF is essential for my style of shooting.

Paul Wright

briansquibb

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »
I had a morning using the 5DIII and it didn't seem any better or faster than my 1D4

Hmmm, is the 5D3 AF as good as the 1D4 Brian? Is AF any better in very low light? The 1D4 isn't that hot in the dark. It's about the only disappointing thing about the Mk4.
I shoot 1D4 and am currently considering a 5D3. High performance AF is essential for my style of shooting.

Paul Wright

I think the 5DII is better than the 1D4 in low light - and in my limited experience the 5DIII is even better. However in good light and flash there is nothing in it - although I feel the 1D4 is better at tracking moving objects.

I am shooting MotoX at the weekend, it will be interesting to compare the output from the 7D (24-105), 1Ds3 (17-40) and 1D4 (70-200). Rule 1 - dont change lens at a MotoX because of the dust.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2012, 07:51:01 AM »
I am shooting MotoX at the weekend, it will be interesting to compare the output from the 7D (24-105), 1Ds3 (17-40) and 1D4 (70-200). Rule 1 - dont change lens at a MotoX because of the dust.

Not taking the 5D3 to the MotoX? If you change your mind, I'd be extremely interested in a real world report using the 5D3 for shooting action.
I'll look out for your post on Monday!

Paul Wright

briansquibb

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2012, 07:58:30 AM »

Not taking the 5D3 to the MotoX? If you change your mind, I'd be extremely interested in a real world report using the 5D3 for shooting action.
I'll look out for your post on Monday!

Paul Wright

I borrowed a 5DIII from a friend - gave it back :D

I do so much in protrait that I need the grip/series 1. I made a decision in October to get the 1Ds3 instead of the 5DIII to sit alongside the 1D4. Looks like a good decision in hindsight - I have no loss of function and my PW all work perfectly.

I have decided to have my 135 f/2 on the 1d4 rather than the 70-200 as it makes me less conspicuous. So the line up will be

1Ds3 + 17-40 f/4
7D +24-105 f/4
1D4 + 135 f/2

Will be at Canada Heights from 10 till 5

broseph

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »
I think they priced it higher to get the past generation of folks who have been using the mkii to upgrade.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 11:39:44 AM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 05:26:50 PM »

Paul Wright

This may help you decide since this is a thread of 1D4 users talking up the 5d3 as better in focus.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-1163659.html
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
This may help you decide since this is a thread of 1D4 users talking up the 5d3 as better in focus.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-1163659.html

Wow, those are some very impressive images in that link. I have much to learn about the 5DIII's new AF system :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »