April 23, 2014, 07:07:01 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & Possible 1D X Issue With PocketWizards  (Read 19087 times)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
Re: 5D Mark III & Possible 1D X Issue With PocketWizards
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »
I'm sorry, but I'm going to a bastard.

I am sooo happy right now... Stupid crappy PW's  ;D

I took my Phottix Odin out of the box, put in the supplied AA batteries, attached the INCLUDED cable to attach them to my Elinchrom's, switched my 1d4 to 1/8000s of a second; always trigger, always sync, no matter what. I've shot almost 3000 images with them total, with both Elinchrom's and 580 ex II's in ALL conditions and situations. Not ONE SINGLE misfire or no-trigger whatsoever.

And yes, I have tried the Odin with a pre-production 1d X and it syncs at all speeds. If one of the 5d3's pre-ordered from the store I work at doesn't get picked up tomorrow, I will try the Odin with the 5d3 at all speeds also. And if it works, I'll be back to gloat and be a douch badmouthing the useless Flex-system once again! ;D

Thank you and good night!
I have not heard of this brand but i hate my flex tt system so i'd be happy to jump ship for consistency. I even bought 2 430 ex II's because they dont have rf interference so they would play nicer with the Pocketwizard flex system. I don't want to always be figuring out what is wrong so i can use them i just want to use them!
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 05:42:10 PM »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »

I took my Phottix Odin out of the box, put in the supplied AA batteries, attached the INCLUDED cable to attach them to my Elinchrom's, switched my 1d4 to 1/8000s of a second; always trigger, always sync, no matter what. I've shot almost 3000 images with them total, with both Elinchrom's and 580 ex II's in ALL conditions and situations. Not ONE SINGLE misfire or no-trigger whatsoever.

And yes, I have tried the Odin with a pre-production 1d X and it syncs at all speeds. If one of the 5d3's pre-ordered from the store I work at doesn't get picked up tomorrow, I will try the Odin with the 5d3 at all speeds also. And if it works, I'll be back to gloat and be a douch badmouthing the useless Flex-system once again! ;D

I have not heard of this brand but i hate my flex tt system so i'd be happy to jump ship for consistency. I even bought 2 430 ex II's because they dont have rf interference so they would play nicer with the Pocketwizard flex system. I don't want to always be figuring out what is wrong so i can use them i just want to use them!

Exactly what I did, I owned two 580's but they didn't work with the Flex, so I swapped to 430's, but nothing worked regardless of what I did. I replaced triggers and bought a second set of 580's, but nothing worked AT ALL for three years. PW were fantastic and gave me my money back after all that time, bought the Odin and every single time I'm out shooting they're with me and I only worry about framing and light angles, I KNOW it fires correctly. And the range is tested thouroughly to 200 meters (approx. 400 ft) with both ettl and M.

Get them and stop worrying about tweaking them in software to try to get them to use at least one speed to work :P
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

Orion

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »
I can only achieve 1/200, with no banding issues, and if I manually compensate the power via the 580EXII, I am prevented from using the +/- button from the camera, until I manually reset the power setting directly from the flash itself. . .

. . . also get same power output no matter what I dial in. . .

I hope they fix this problem before April 26-28, when I have my wedding shoot. . .  especailly for the ocean portraits, etc.

Got to see what happens if I use the AC3, later. .. .

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »

you're getting 1/8000 second out of elinchrom studio strobes?! I have got to try this
APS-H Fanboy

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 07:19:10 PM »

you're getting 1/8000 second out of elinchrom studio strobes?! I have got to try this

Yes I did! Elinchrom D-lite 4's, no fiddeling, just set the speed in M-mode and fired away.

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 07:40:03 PM »
This proves that all the reviews out there about the 5D III are really crap or done by amateurs or people that only shoot birds and weddings but it was not tested in a studio...

Come on, this is a pro-sumer camera but definitely NOT professional or for real studio work.
I've been using it for 2 days and although I am REALLY impressed with the quality of the images, the high ISO smoothness and the amazingly huge viewfinder and LCD screen, it is just a limited camera.

First of all, it is useless without a grip. Try attaching a heavy 70-200 or a 100-400 to it and your index finger will be sore for hours.
Even with a 24-70, the lens is too heavy for such a small body. Forget it if you want to shoot vertical, you will get carpal tunnel in 5 minutes.

Syncing at only 1/200 is just not enough to freeze motion... The single top display is too crowded with too much information and the weak amber light is not even or strong enough, not to mention the viewing angle is limited to a 45-degree angle... Try looking at it from the very top and everything fades out.

A camera with a full AUTO mode is consumer, however you want to see it. There are more AUTO settings in the camera than in a Rebel... AUTO ISO, AUTO shutter speed, AUTO WB... Is this for photographers or kids?

at $3800 plus $380 for a BG-E11 grip, the 5D III sets u back approx $4200... If you can afford it, for another $2600 u can have the best camera in the world... Why go Half-Ass with a limited camera?

I can't wait for the 1DX to replace my 1D4. Quoting that funny movie, Telladega Nights, you can only count to Number 1. Anything else is just not good enough and Canon 1-Series is what I've been using since 2003...

Cheers

Pat
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »

Yes I did! Elinchrom D-lite 4's, no fiddeling, just set the speed in M-mode and fired away.

sweet thats what I have too :D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »

clicstudio

• Rebel T5i
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »
Have you updated your PW Mini TT1 for the 5D MKIII???

Do they have this available for the Mini yet?

You have to configure both the Flex and the Mini via the USB to set the camera up.

I got the exact same results when I first got my 5D MKII...

Why?

Because my mini was still set to my T2i.

Yup.... Went through the same thing... I thought I had a bad 5DMKII... or that my 5DMKII had to shoot at 1/160 or 1/100...

Ah...  Configuration.

Right now I don't think PocketWizard has an update firmware yet:

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/36/TT1-C/compatibility/

I did have mine set to 7D first and all I got was black frames. I changed the config. and it works better now.

There is no update for the Mini TT1. Pocket Wizard DOESN'T HAVE a 5D III yet, therefore there is no firmware update. They told me they are hoping to get one soon and they will start to work on it asap. What a bunch of crap. Like they can't afford to get a camera to improve their products... :o
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Got a question. For studio work, if I want to set up a high speed sync system, is it possible to do so with only one receiver and setting the other heads for optical triggering? Will this work or will I need a receiver for each head to get the high speed sync?

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »
Got a question. For studio work, if I want to set up a high speed sync system, is it possible to do so with only one receiver and setting the other heads for optical triggering? Will this work or will I need a receiver for each head to get the high speed sync?

no because HSS changes the way in which the flash fires
normal flash punches out a single burst of light in about 1/20000th of a second at either the begining or end of the frame based on if you are using first or second curtain sync

with HSS it lowers the strobe power and pulses it for the duration of the open shutter very fast so that the strobe is emitting light for the whole exposure. this is why when using HSS you may need to use techniques such as ganglighting to provide enough oomph
APS-H Fanboy

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 02:35:21 AM »
I am sorry, I now realize I wasn't clear at all with my question. I was referring to Viggo's post regarding studio strobes and not Canon's HSS  :-[. Calling it "high speed sync" was my mistake. He was talking about syncing at all shutter speeds with Phottix Odin and I was curious about how this works and wether it's possible to trigger only one strobe with it and let the others be optically triggered by that one.

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 02:46:09 AM »
I am sorry, I now realize I wasn't clear at all with my question. I was referring to Viggo's post regarding studio strobes and not Canon's HSS  :-[. Calling it "high speed sync" was my mistake. He was talking about syncing at all shutter speeds with Phottix Odin and I was curious about how this works and wether it's possible to trigger only one strobe with it and let the others be optically triggered by that one.
ah ok I dunno i am guessing the odin delay the firing of the flash till the back end of the exposure so maybe it just has a count before it actually signals the flash to fire
but i'm gonna give it a go tonight anyway :)
APS-H Fanboy

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:29 AM »
ah ok I dunno i am guessing the odin delay the firing of the flash till the back end of the exposure so maybe it just has a count before it actually signals the flash to fire

I haven't tried as I had two recievers, but It did work at sync speed 1/200s with some cheap triggers I had before. Radio on camera, to one radio on one flash and the other triggered by the built-in slave function.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:29 AM »

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 03:54:28 AM »
With normal sync speeds I did use from time to time a combination of radio and optical triggering but I don't know if it'll work in a high speed sync setup.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »

I imagine it has something to do with timing the actual flash firing. Which makes me think that what I'm asking will not work since an optical triggering implies a certain delay. But I'll appreciate if you can confirm this. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »