April 23, 2014, 07:29:09 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & Possible 1D X Issue With PocketWizards  (Read 19088 times)

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III & Possible 1D X Issue With PocketWizards
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 04:17:46 AM »
ah ok I dunno i am guessing the odin delay the firing of the flash till the back end of the exposure so maybe it just has a count before it actually signals the flash to fire
but i'm gonna give it a go tonight anyway :)

I imagine it has something to do with timing the actual flash firing. Which makes me think that what I'm asking will not work since an optical triggering implies a certain delay. But I'll appreciate if you can confirm this. :)
just tested it, its fantastic
i set up an odin on a speedlight and an elinchrom strobe set to optical slave, turned off HSS on the odin and set it to 1/8000 sec made sure the speedlight was on first curtain in manual and it fired the studio strobe just fine
so sounds like what you want will work :D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 04:17:46 AM »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 05:00:53 AM »
ah ok I dunno i am guessing the odin delay the firing of the flash till the back end of the exposure so maybe it just has a count before it actually signals the flash to fire
but i'm gonna give it a go tonight anyway :)

I imagine it has something to do with timing the actual flash firing. Which makes me think that what I'm asking will not work since an optical triggering implies a certain delay. But I'll appreciate if you can confirm this. :)
just tested it, its fantastic
i set up an odin on a speedlight and an elinchrom strobe set to optical slave, turned off HSS on the odin and set it to 1/8000 sec made sure the speedlight was on first curtain in manual and it fired the studio strobe just fine

Great news! I have sold my Elinchrom's so I couldn't test it, but thats awesome! And I love that the only time you connect the Odin to a computer is when you get new functions. It simply understands everything always. ETTL is also very precise. Now if only Canon AF would be as smart , no fiddeling, just sharp images. ;D
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »

Many thanks. That's awesome.

dpinparis

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 08:21:28 AM »
using them as basic triggers only, I do not have a problem shooting at 1/200 with flash.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
my flex system is working well with the 5dm3 as far as i can tell.

I was able to shoot 1/8000 sec last night in testing, so the hypersync worked. Maybe its not dialed in but i reset the firmware to auto instead of preogramed for my 1dm3 and my regular 5d.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:41:57 PM by Bosman »
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

milo

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
I'm sorry, I thought this camera was supposed to have High Speed Sync?

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »

It's not the camera, neither the canon or other flashes, it's the Pocket Wizard triggering system for wireless flash. Use anything else and the problem is gone.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 06:42:34 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
This proves that all the reviews out there about the 5D III are really crap or done by amateurs or people that only shoot birds and weddings but it was not tested in a studio...

Come on, this is a pro-sumer camera but definitely NOT professional or for real studio work.
I've been using it for 2 days and although I am REALLY impressed with the quality of the images, the high ISO smoothness and the amazingly huge viewfinder and LCD screen, it is just a limited camera.

First of all, it is useless without a grip. Try attaching a heavy 70-200 or a 100-400 to it and your index finger will be sore for hours.
Even with a 24-70, the lens is too heavy for such a small body. Forget it if you want to shoot vertical, you will get carpal tunnel in 5 minutes.

Syncing at only 1/200 is just not enough to freeze motion... The single top display is too crowded with too much information and the weak amber light is not even or strong enough, not to mention the viewing angle is limited to a 45-degree angle... Try looking at it from the very top and everything fades out.

A camera with a full AUTO mode is consumer, however you want to see it. There are more AUTO settings in the camera than in a Rebel... AUTO ISO, AUTO shutter speed, AUTO WB... Is this for photographers or kids?

at $3800 plus $380 for a BG-E11 grip, the 5D III sets u back approx $4200... If you can afford it, for another $2600 u can have the best camera in the world... Why go Half-Ass with a limited camera?

I can't wait for the 1DX to replace my 1D4. Quoting that funny movie, Telladega Nights, you can only count to Number 1. Anything else is just not good enough and Canon 1-Series is what I've been using since 2003...

Cheers

Pat
Wow, seriously, you are complaining about how uncomfortable and heavy it is with a 70-200 without a grip? Have you heard of a monopod? :) Yea shooting for hours with a handgrip will help for about an hour then your shoulders and arms start tucking in and you wonder why is it so hard??? lol.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
You know I had a similar experience with it yesterday.

Hand hurt, IQ is better than my 1Ds3 but this is still a prosumer camera.

The 1Dx is the pro one. Sure the 5D3 will do for a lot of applications but it isn't a pro camera. It still feels like a toy.

1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

publiux

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 07:54:38 AM »
This proves that all the reviews out there about the 5D III are really crap or done by amateurs or people that only shoot birds and weddings but it was not tested in a studio...

Come on, this is a pro-sumer camera but definitely NOT professional or for real studio work.
I've been using it for 2 days and although I am REALLY impressed with the quality of the images, the high ISO smoothness and the amazingly huge viewfinder and LCD screen, it is just a limited camera.

First of all, it is useless without a grip. Try attaching a heavy 70-200 or a 100-400 to it and your index finger will be sore for hours.
Even with a 24-70, the lens is too heavy for such a small body. Forget it if you want to shoot vertical, you will get carpal tunnel in 5 minutes.

Syncing at only 1/200 is just not enough to freeze motion... The single top display is too crowded with too much information and the weak amber light is not even or strong enough, not to mention the viewing angle is limited to a 45-degree angle... Try looking at it from the very top and everything fades out.

A camera with a full AUTO mode is consumer, however you want to see it. There are more AUTO settings in the camera than in a Rebel... AUTO ISO, AUTO shutter speed, AUTO WB... Is this for photographers or kids?

at $3800 plus $380 for a BG-E11 grip, the 5D III sets u back approx $4200... If you can afford it, for another $2600 u can have the best camera in the world... Why go Half-Ass with a limited camera?

I can't wait for the 1DX to replace my 1D4. Quoting that funny movie, Telladega Nights, you can only count to Number 1. Anything else is just not good enough and Canon 1-Series is what I've been using since 2003...

Cheers

Pat
Wow, seriously, you are complaining about how uncomfortable and heavy it is with a 70-200 without a grip? Have you heard of a monopod? :) Yea shooting for hours with a handgrip will help for about an hour then your shoulders and arms start tucking in and you wonder why is it so hard??? lol.

Well said! I was dying of laughter when I read that post, but I couldn't come up with a good response while at work.

+1!

publiux

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 07:55:43 AM »

The 1Dx is the pro one. Sure the 5D3 will do for a lot of applications but it isn't a pro camera. It still feels like a toy.

Feels like a toy? You should probably return it. Mine feels like a pro camera, and I think it works like one too.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »

Feels like a toy? You should probably return it. Mine feels like a pro camera, and I think it works like one too.
+100!

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »

Cheers

Pat

Well said! I was dying of laughter when I read that post, but I couldn't come up with a good response while at work.

+1!
Haha, yea write ups like this reveal alot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »

It's not the camera, neither the canon or other flashes, it's the Pocket Wizard triggering system for wireless flash. Use anything else and the problem is gone.

I played with a 5DIII this afternoon.

- sync maxed at 160
- sync with pw maxed at 160
- sync with Pixel Kings maxed at 160

All with flash on hotshoe.

It is just to easy to point at pw as the source of all problems and not look elsewhere

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »

I played with a 5DIII this afternoon.

- sync maxed at 160
- sync with pw maxed at 160
- sync with Pixel Kings maxed at 160

All with flash on hotshoe.

It is just to easy to point at pw as the source of all problems and not look elsewhere
I havent tried my regular Pw's but the flex work at 1/8000 sec. I guess i didn't feel like testing those since i don't do much studio type work and dont have all my lights set up to try the Plus II's. I hope something changes for that or maybe you need to step up to plus III's for compatibility, Idk. The plus II's never failed me before, sorry you have this prob. Does it affect your shoots you think?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »