September 03, 2014, 04:47:22 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III & Possible 1D X Issue With PocketWizards  (Read 20925 times)

davidbellissima

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photographer in London
Re: 5D MK iii with Pocket Wizards
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »
An update to my original post: they DO NOT work properly. I was mislead by the quick test I did inside my home. It was only later that I realised that the flash is pumping out the same low power regardless (manual flash). Range was no more than about 6 meters. I tried them on my Mk ii today and achieved a range of around 25 meters.

Let's hope PW come up with the goods, and soon!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 12:40:28 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2012, 01:22:34 PM »
An update to my original post: they DO NOT work properly. I was mislead by the quick test I did inside my home. It was only later that I realised that the flash is pumping out the same low power regardless (manual flash). Range was no more than about 6 meters. I tried them on my Mk ii today and achieved a range of around 25 meters.

Why keep them when there's a cheaper and better alternative? I had 50 firmwares and they never worked properly, and the range was nothing.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »

Why keep them when there's a cheaper and better alternative? I had 50 firmwares and they never worked properly, and the range was nothing.
I just dont want to fork another $600 out if PW fixes things for me then i am good. In my letter I said i would give them one more chance than if they still aren't consistent then i would ask for money back. Its crazy to think about the hoops you jump thru to make their system work when others like Odin are doing it without socks and all this crazy stuff...
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

smirkypants

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
I just dont want to fork another $600 out if PW fixes things for me then i am good. In my letter I said i would give them one more chance than if they still aren't consistent then i would ask for money back. Its crazy to think about the hoops you jump thru to make their system work when others like Odin are doing it without socks and all this crazy stuff...
You don't just fork over another $600. They have value. I just sold my PWs and they will 90% finance the Odins that work with my 580 EX IIs and will work with my 5D3 when I pick it up next Tuesday. I've had enough.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III & Possible 1D X Issue With PocketWizards
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2012, 03:50:52 PM »
I'm thinking of selling my 580 EX II's and going to the new Canon flash.

I had the old version of the PW's and sold them, and have sold two of my 580 EX II's.  I held off buying the new Pocket wizard Mini's when my 5D MK II came out, and then the range issue came up, and the lame excuses that frequencies were not available, its been like a soap opera.

Odin sounds good, but, I may just splurge on the new flashes.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
I'm thinking of selling my 580 EX II's and going to the new Canon flash.

I had the old version of the PW's and sold them, and have sold two of my 580 EX II's.  I held off buying the new Pocket wizard Mini's when my 5D MK II came out, and then the range issue came up, and the lame excuses that frequencies were not available, its been like a soap opera.

Odin sounds good, but, I may just splurge on the new flashes.
I would but i bought 2-430 exII's just for the PW's. I set up two lights for portraits and at the time i figured they would be a good backup flash since i have had my 580 exII's in for repair a couple times already. In fact i just sent one in yesterday because it didn't give full power to the flash so my last wedding things went fubar and i couldn't figure out where the specific issue was at the time and didn't have time to tinker. I still have 4 flashes with me, 1-580 ex, 1-580exII, 2-430exII's. But now i want to use my CP-E4's so i need both 580 EXII's since the older 580ex didn't have the external batteries option and neither do the 430exII's.

Since i have all this stuff i can't justify the new flashes at the moment. Even if i bought Odins they would be a lot cheaper to get than stepping up to the new flashes. Still with the new flashes i'd prob just use them for family portrait stuff and use the 430 exII's for shooting weddings. I'm sure its cheaper to repair burnt bulbs on those than on the 600's. I don't need the bounce card I just use Stofens now. I used to have all the Gary Fong crap but seriously that stuff is bulky and heavy and my flash didn't stay in the position i wanted it in. I'd like to see Stofen cread a gell version so you can slide a little gell in place. I have Honi Gels but you still gotta fart around with them a bit more than i'd like.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
Any updates... We upgraded to the PW3's and they still have the 1/160 sync limit...  oh well... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »