April 20, 2014, 02:35:56 AM

Author Topic: I think I got a sharp one  (Read 2265 times)

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
I think I got a sharp one
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
I won't get to put my 5DIII through the ringer until tomorrow, but since I had to take a few snaps of my 1DII which I'll be getting rid of soon, I did get a chance to at least take it out for a test run. All images are out of camera raws converted to jpeg in CS5. Neither lens used has been micro adjusted yet.

Focus point was the "Canon" logo using automatic AF selection. Shot with 24-105L at 105mm: f/8, 1/125, ISO 100

Focus point was on eye cup using zone AF selection. Shot with 24-105L at 105mm: f/8, 1/180, ISO 100

Focus point is where the label reads "Complies with the Canadian..." using auto AF selection. Shot with 70-300L at 260 mm, f/8, 1/180, ISO 100

Old film habits die hard, so I usually manually focus for stuff like this. For the sake of testing out the AF system, however, I tried out auto, zone, and spot AF selection, and had pretty good luck with each of them.

Each one of these were also shot as jpegs in the "Standard" picture setting, which is set at "3" for sharpening on a 0-7 scale. Not surprisingly, the jpegs were just a hair sharper, but not any sharper than the raws once a smidgen of unsharp mask was applied. There was just as much detail, particularly in the rubber grip areas, in the jpegs as in the raws. Based on some reports, it sounds like the jpeg processing is obliterating the detail in camera, but these images escaped unscathed.

This is obviously a very small sample set, so I really need to take the camera on a real shoot before drawing a more definitive conclusion. Considering that the 24-105 at zoomed to 105mm isn't the sharpest lens in the Canon catalog, I'm pleased with the preliminary results.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:10:37 PM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

I think I got a sharp one
« on: March 29, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: I think I got a sharp one
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »
Just noticed the in-camera lens correction in action in these two shots. The image was spot focused on the mirror, so don't freak out, it's not soft :) The top is the raw, and the bottom is the jpeg. The camera do a decent job of correcting the vignetting, which is most visible in the bottom right of the frame.

Raw

Jpeg

se7en

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:17:24 PM »
Sooo....does it make cappuccinos?

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 10:29:19 PM »
What's the price on the 1D?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 10:44:36 PM »
What's the price on the 1D?

I think it's against forum rules to post anything like that :o

cpsico

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »
Just noticed the in-camera lens correction in action in these two shots. The image was spot focused on the mirror, so don't freak out, it's not soft :) The top is the raw, and the bottom is the jpeg. The camera do a decent job of correcting the vignetting, which is most visible in the bottom right of the frame.

Raw

Jpeg

LOL your mirror could use a good cleaning, but the pictures seem very good indeed. JPG seems to due very well with in camera correction

kdsand

• EOS M2
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:11:04 AM »

[/quote]
LOL your mirror could use a good cleaning, but the pictures seem very good indeed.
[/quote]

Concur.
lol
 ;D
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:11:04 AM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »

LOL your mirror could use a good cleaning, but the pictures seem very good indeed.
[/quote]

Concur.
lol
 ;D
[/quote]

I keep my mirrors dirty on purpose. Otherwise I get distracted by how handsome I am every time I switch lenses :D

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »

Concur.
lol
 ;D
[/quote]

I keep my mirrors dirty on purpose. Otherwise I get distracted by how handsome I am every time I switch lenses :D
[/quote]
Haha! Nice comeback as expected V8.  ;D
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

kdsand

• EOS M2
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »

Concur.
lol
 ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

My eyes! My eyes!
 Ive gone blind!

;D

60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 02:53:38 PM »