September 18, 2014, 05:53:29 PM

Author Topic: Anyone have the g1x and are happy with when your dslr is not around?  (Read 25322 times)

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have the g1x and are happy with when your dslr is not around?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »
I managed to get out yesterday and take some pictures in daylight with the new G1X.
I found the focus was quite quick, less than half a second in reasonable light, and pretty accurate too although i have to get used to holding it out in front of me.
the viewfinder is isn't fantastic, but it does help to keep the camera steady when you use it and although it doesn't show the whole field, it gives you a good idea of what you're taking.
Here's a few shots for you, all taken on full auto (as my wife will use it) and unprocessed and reduced in size and resolution.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 07:52:26 AM »

FunPhotons

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
I have yet to find a 'tweener' which works well. By that I mean a device which is in the middle, not as big and complicated as the top end but more capable then what you get at the low end. In cameras I have a S100 which I love. The damn thing rides on my belt (always!) and is always there. I don't notice it but when I need to take shot - any shot - I've got it. I also have a big DSLR with lenses that ride in a toploader case, that comes with me when I'm going out. One case over the bag and I have the bare essentials of a DSLR, I love that top loader bag.

In the middle I have a G12 and a Fuji X100, and I use them the least. The G12 isn't too portable and generally takes mediocre pictures. The Fuji can take nice shots, but it's slow and finicky. I have the same issue with the iPad. I love my iPhone, and my big computers (Mac Pro and Macbook Pros), but other than for watching movies occasionally I don't have much use for the iPad.

The commonality is that these things do a little of everything, and so do nothing particularly well (as far as I'm concerned). Neither portable like the S100, or capable like the DSLR, and so just end up annoying me.

So yeah, I'd love to find the camera that takes near DSLR quality shots with near P&S portability, but it doesn't seem to be invented yet (unless I got a Leica maybe, and then I'd be annoyed with manual focus no doubt). Maybe Canon will come out with a mirror less that will pull that off, one can hope.

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 06:59:26 AM »
The weathe rin Sydney today was terrible. Cold and raining, but I got a break in the weather and walked down the road to try some shots in RAW.

To be frank, I can't see much difference to shots taken with my DLSR and L lenses.
What do you think?
These are'nt too artistic, but I think the IQ is outstanding for a P&S.

wilerty

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »
I've had my G1X since the first came out and have since sold my 60D 15-85 ++.  For my needs, I have found the the IQ to as good (or better) than the 60D with 15-85.  These were shot as JPEGs ...

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 11:09:19 PM »
I've had my G1X since the first came out and have since sold my 60D 15-85 ++.  For my needs, I have found the the IQ to as good (or better) than the 60D with 15-85.  These were shot as JPEGs ...

Nice pics thanks for posting. Do you have Any people shots?
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 07:54:41 AM »
Nice shots Willerty.

I had a job to do on Saturday night, and took the G1X with me to do the video work in a very dark pub.
I used an LED light on top of the camera, and it did a really good job, and even the built-in mic worked pretty well.

chasn

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »
on this years holiday I took a G1x with waterproof case for speedboat shots of waterskiing and a 5Dii for general shots - in the end I was using them interchangeably both for stills and video. I wouldn't claim the G1x is as good as a 5Dii but I think it is a brilliant camera and the slow autofocus isn't that bad ( it coped with a bumpy speedboat and a bumpy waterskier....)  target price in the Uk is now £500 or so so it will be interesting to see how they price the G15

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »

FunkyD3121

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »
Sometime in October I am going to buy either the G1X or the New G15, when it comes out.  G15's fast lens - 1.8-2.8 plus faster focusing & Digic 5 impress me.  I would have preferred a flip-out LCD screen, but I have a G7(since april 2007) & it has No flip-out LCD. May need to rent the G1X first.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:30 PM »
At this point I am waiting to see how the g15, eosm, Sony nex 5r pan out. Hopefully some good choices will be available.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

artsmalley

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 10:50:44 PM »
Just looking for a much more portable dslr alternative when I cannot bring my gear.

I bought the G1X a little bit after it came out. It has some great points especially image quality. On that point I really had no qualms with it. The longer I had it though the more it bothered me in some regards. The AF is quite slow. Equally as irritating it takes about 3 seconds between shots. Not joking. So it is okay if you are shooting adults who are sitting still or scenery and in no rush. For kids or action I found it pretty useless. Missed so many good shots I decided finally to part ways with it. I sold it last month. The problem was that it was "good enough" that I left the DSLR at home a bunch due to laziness. It became a crutch but a frustrating. Very good in many regards not so good in other.  I hope the next or next next version is better.

lilbuddha

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 10:44:03 PM »
I've the G1X and really like it. It does have limitations, yes. It is not a DSLR, but then I think it a bit naive to think it should be. The IQ is terrific.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 10:41:45 PM »
Just looking for a much more portable dslr alternative when I cannot bring my gear.

I bought the G1X a little bit after it came out. It has some great points especially image quality. On that point I really had no qualms with it. The longer I had it though the more it bothered me in some regards. The AF is quite slow. Equally as irritating it takes about 3 seconds between shots. Not joking. So it is okay if you are shooting adults who are sitting still or scenery and in no rush. For kids or action I found it pretty useless. Missed so many good shots I decided finally to part ways with it. I sold it last month. The problem was that it was "good enough" that I left the DSLR at home a bunch due to laziness. It became a crutch but a frustrating. Very good in many regards not so good in other.  I hope the next or next next version is better.

Thanks I was afraid of that. Just waiting for the next version if there is one.

hawaiisunsetphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 04:22:53 AM »
I recently picked up a used G1X, very pleased with it.  Keep it handy and get shots that I would otherwise miss by not having my dslr.  Great for it's purpose.
1Dx, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 17-55mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 24-105mm f/4L, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2.0L, 200mm f/2L, 1.4x III, 2x III, 600EX RT (3), Einstein, Sony RX100 with Nauticam housing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 04:22:53 AM »

Houndog

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 04:47:45 AM »
I have an old DSLR and a G11.  I bought G1X for good image quality on our planned tour of Europe.  I practiced before we left and am extremely pleased with the results.  Did not have to lug heavy, big stuff.  Got great pics.  Others on trip had pocketable compacts and DSLRS.  I have not compared results but the G1X delivered.  I am 6'-3" and could hold the G1X over the heads of crowds, tilt the screen so I could see and blaze away.  Highly recommend although there are newer cameras that may be better or as good.  Maybe, just maybe, Canon will come out with a successor!!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 04:47:45 AM »