July 30, 2014, 12:26:33 AM

Author Topic: Be Carefull what you buy a true story  (Read 5583 times)

RedEye

Re: Be Carefull what you buy a true story
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »
Well, I have a really good deal right here.

Make me an offer.

Thanks.

;)

LOL, nice.  I have the Bible on an iphone app, and it updates about once a month, so I'm really starting to wonder what they're updating! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »

NOTNIKON!

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »
I’ve once tried selling a Nokia Camera phone on ebay and it would be bought within a few hours of posting it there. I thought great, this was easy. I got a confirmation from the purchaser that they have sent the monies via paypal and to send the phone to Nigeria etc, etc. I quickly checked out my paypal account and no monies were waiting there for me. I forward the e-mail to both paypal’s and ebay’s security fraud teams and they both confirmed it was a scam. Well, I just ignored the e-mail and reposted the phone on ebay; and same thing happened, and not only twice but a total of 4 times. This was about 3 years ago. Ever since that, I don’t trust ebay to sell or buy any products. My recommendation is, if you cannot not meet with the seller/purchaser in person in a public place (yes they may try to get you to go to a private location – don’t do it) then do not go through with the transaction!

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
LOL, nice.  I have the Bible on an iphone app, and it updates about once a month, so I'm really starting to wonder what they're updating!

Bug fixes?  Stability issues?

I'll echo Neuro's sentiments about craigslist, here in St Louis it is pretty active and the selection can be pretty decent (I'm sure not even close to NYC, LA, Chicago, etc - but it's still pretty good).  As an eBay seller I know I can have items sold and gone in 1, 3, 5, or 7 days, but the 12% fees really cut into the sale price (9% eBay and 3% Paypal).  Sometimes it takes a bit longer and more effort to move stuff on CL for the right price, but at least there are no fees.  All the really good deals I've gotten have been on craigslist
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 10:39:33 AM »

If it is possible to save the text somehow, you could do that a couple of times and do a word comparison, I suppose. Or, even just a word count.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

colin1984

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »

yes just like this it happend to me

from him

Hallo Kulovits ,

Das Canon EF 600mm 1:4 L IS USM & Wimberly Stativkopf ist immer noch zum Verkauf. Das Canon EF 600mm 1:4 L IS USM & Wimberly Stativkopf in London, Vereinigtes Königreich befindet. Der Kaufpreis mit der Post Steuern inbegriffen ist 2040 €. Ich benutze UPS für den Versand und Banküberweisung zur Zahlung fällig. Das Canon EF 600mm 1:4 L IS USM & Wimberly Stativkopf ist optisch und technisch in sehr gutem Zustand. Weitere Bilder sind in dieser E-Mail angehängt. Ich warte Ihre Antwort mit mehr Fragen. Mit freundlichen Grüßen Pedro

PS: Do you speak English?

Then I ask him how old the lens is and how many pictures were taken

The objectiv is 4 years old . I have made about 200 pictures with this objective . I wait your reply . Best regards Pedro

I ask him if he have pictures of lens and estimated shipping time

Hello Mark ,

The shipping will arrive in maximum 4 business days after the payment is made  . The purchasing price with shipping and insurance included is 2040 euros . I think you want to say that the border taxes are free because we are in EU. Like i said the purchasing price with shipping and insurance included from London to Austria is 2040 euros . I use UPS for shipping and bank transfer for payment . More pictures are attached in this email . I wait your reply . Best regards Pedro

I ask him if i could oversleeo that and talk with my "wife"

No problem i can wait until Monday . After Monday i can't guarantee you that i won't sell the objective . Please let me know when you are ready to make the purchase and i will reply you with all my personal bank information's where to make the payment . I wait your reply . Best regards Pedro

And here it was my fault I ask him to send me a picture of the front and rear lens and get back the same pictures again i will add it here

Don't worry feel free to ask me anything . Like you see in the picture nr 7 there is a little scratch . In rest , the front and rear lens are ok ,the objective is in excellent condition , optical and technically in excellent condition .Best regards Pedro

After that i told him on monday I will buy it

Sorry for my late reply but  i have some working to do and i don't have time to check my emails  . The purchasing price with shipping included is 2040 euros .Here are my personal bank information's where to make the transfer . After you make the transfer please reply me with a scan paper from the bank transfer receipt and with yours full name and shipping address where to start the shipping procedure . I wait your reply . Best regards Pedro

Pedro Gael Hernando Pascual   
175 Rushmore Road
Clapton ,London
Zip code :E5 0HD
United Kingdom

acc: 13107798     
sort code:602432   
Iban:  GB97NWBK60243213107798       
bic: NWBKGB2L
Bank :Natwest Plc
Branch address:  38 goring road,  worthing west Sussex , bn12 4aq  ,United Kingdom

I sended him the scan paper of my successfulled transaction

I have received your email with the scan paper . Everything is ok . I will check my bank account tomorrow to see if everything is ok with the transfer. If the funds have arrived in my account , i will start the shipping procedure with UPS in the same day . I will let you know . Best regards Pedro

Nothing came up i wrote him on friday if he knew antything

Monday i will check my bank account and start the shipping in the evening . I will let you know . Best regards Pedro

this was his last respond since then i sent him everyday if he had news for me or what happend, and then i found this said link on my start thread; after that I wrote him that he should send me the lens or my money back, or I will contact my lawyer as i said havent slept since yesterday, today i went with my gf to her housebanke cause she made the transaction at the meantime till i got my money from car accident; dont worry i´m ok and car nyeah it will repaired slowly just as i mentioned; Bank says she can do nothing which was due; Before we go to Bank I contact my Remedy which gave me two lawyers and by one i have a hearing on tuesday 10 o clock.

Trough the night i saved every Homepage where this EF was quoted; and also printed my conversation and the homepages as well; I know money away Lens wont come, but lawyer I don´t have to pay, and he will make it right and hopefully he get behind bar, i know the chance is very low, but it´s the  hope that count;

I´ll be cleverer next time, thought that couldn´t happen to me, because normally i´m very very careful, but it´s just money I´ll get money again and when i´m adult i become a photographer :-) next year I´ll make my master
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:10:29 AM by colin1984 »
EOS 7D
EF 24-70 2,8
EX 270

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
Well, I have a really good deal right here.

Make me an offer.

Thanks.

;)

I would check what are the apps' permissions?
Does it have access to your phone's location, state, browser activities...etc.?
Whenever I download an app for my Android I read the description and it states what the apps wants to access... i.e. a calculator or book doesn't need to know my call history or my browser activities.. So if yours is like that .... besides the regular bug fixes it could provide them little updates from You...

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »
It's the wild west out there.

I've had two experiences. The first was while trying to sell a 30' travel trailer on sites such as rvtrader. Over a year I received dozens of emails such as one quoted above- the time pressure, unavailability in person, sending a "purchasing agent", buying a gift for a brother or other family member.

The red flags went up immediately- nobody buys a $20K RV sight unseen. Arrangements must be made for transport and license transfer, yet the buyer was always curiously unconcerned with these aspects of the transaction. AND- who sells an RV by Paypal?!

The worst tho, is that I have a handicapped sister who falls for internet scams all the time. Most of these are online-job type scenarios or contest wins which require shipping payments. She has sent close to $3000 in about 8 or 9 transactions over the past 3 years. I pull my hair out trying to convince her to always run these schemes past me before visiting the Western Union office but she is very independant. I'm in an awkward position of trying to guide someone who has the intellect of a child but is legally a competent adult.

I've spoken to Western Union and three different police departments, had statements filed and interviews conducted, but all the authorities ever do is provide sympathetic noises and issue safety lectures to my sister. 

It's a terrible thing- that there are people out there without conscience who prey upon the vulnerabilities of others, but that's the nature of the times in which we live. I only hope that there's some sort of cosmic justice or karmic retribution for these criminals.
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 11:34:18 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 12:57:22 PM »
Scammers count on greed.  Some people want to believe that they can get that crazy low priced deal. 

Thats why those penny auction sites do so well, get a expensive camera for $50??  Yet they suck people in by the thousands.

The biggest source of frauds is in the USA, thats why so many target the US. 

Neeneko

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
Lol.  It does depend on where you are - the Boston CL is very active, I even see superteles occasionally (400/4 DO and 500/4 fairly recently).

Philly seems moderately active, but most of what I go looking for is vintage, which there just isn't much of it on the market in the first place.   The lens I just got (the damaged one) I had been watching eBay for months before even a single one popped up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »