July 25, 2014, 12:05:33 PM

Author Topic: HDR quirk?  (Read 1224 times)

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
HDR quirk?
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »
so I'm planning to take pictures in the HDR mode for a job.
i was going to use this new separate CF and SD card thing to separate the raws from the jpegs(it only creates the HDR in jepgs which makes sense)
here is the issue:
when i try to do that, even if i choose raw only in the camera settings, on the CF card i get the raws and the jpeg HDR.ok.
but on the SD card i get 3 jpeg representing the raws, and the HDR jpeg.

but, when I'm in the same setting, except choose a standard method of saving the media, instead of separating to different cards, i get the 3 raws and the one jpeg on one cf card. 4 files, which is right. i have no idea why or how if i chose to separate the cards i get 3 more jpegs representing the raws on the sd card too.
weird.
i would just like the 3 raws to save to one card and the 1 HDR jpeg to save to the other.
is this how it is?
or am i doing something wrong?
thanks in advance.
5D MKIII

canon rumors FORUM

HDR quirk?
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:13:05 PM »

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: HDR quirk?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
That's how it saves for me too, and I like it. The RAWs to the CF and the jpegs to SD. Having the processed HDR on both cards makes sorting through a couple hundred RAWs by name and jumping to the jpeg instantly tells me "the three before this made me" so I know what three pictures were bracketed to make the HDR in post myself.
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:46:30 PM »
That's how it saves for me too, and I like it. The RAWs to the CF and the jpegs to SD. Having the processed HDR on both cards makes sorting through a couple hundred RAWs by name and jumping to the jpeg instantly tells me "the three before this made me" so I know what three pictures were bracketed to make the HDR in post myself.
yeah, thats all fine about the HDR jpeg being on the CF too, i don't mind that.
its the 3 extra jpegs that mirror the bracketed raw that wind up on the SD card along with the HDR jpeg.
even though the camera is set to take raw only.

but like i said, if i don't choose to separate onto two different cards, the mirroring jpegs don't exist.

what I'm looking for is the whole raw bracketed shots and the HDR jpeg to save on the CF and
just the HDR jpeg saving on the SD...
i can't explain why its making and saving 3 jpegs that mirror the bracketed raw onto the SD card as well???
5D MKIII

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
If you guys dont mind, it would be cool if you could show samples of the separate pics and hdr to compare and enjoy.  Maybe even try out your favorite HDR settings... a little before and after kinda thing... If you're up to it. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:48:44 PM »
as soon as i get some good ones i will, I'm just testing the storage situations now.
5D MKIII

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:05:09 PM »
its the 3 extra jpegs that mirror the bracketed raw that wind up on the SD card along with the HDR jpeg.

but like i said, if i don't choose to separate onto two different cards, the mirroring jpegs don't exist.

what I'm looking for is the whole raw bracketed shots and the HDR jpeg to save on the CF and
i can't explain why its making and saving 3 jpegs that mirror the bracketed raw onto the SD card as well???

I did read in the manual that it can't make an hdr raw file but it will make a jpeg of the 3 raws together which makes sense.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

jlev23

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »

I did read in the manual that it can't make an hdr raw file but it will make a jpeg of the 3 raws together which makes sense.
yes i read that too, but that doesn't explain why when i choose to separate raws and jpegs on the media, and i choose to shoot RAW only, in hopes of just one jpeg on the sd card...it makes 4 jpegs per shot(one HDR)...and if i choose the standard way of storing media(one card) it just makes the 3 bracketed raws and one jpeg(HDR).
5D MKIII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:24:29 AM »