July 28, 2014, 03:57:08 AM

Author Topic: 5DIII minimum shutter speed is not working  (Read 6264 times)

eninja

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: 5DIII minimum shutter speed is not working
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
So it's either a firmware bug or a bug in the "info" portion of the menu there. 

I expect it's neither, but functioning as designed. The footnote on p.128 of the manual indicates that if a correct exposure cannot be obtained at the max ISO of the selected range, a shutter speed lower than the chosen minimum will be used.  So, it seems to be intended as a 'soft' limit.

As pointed out above, for the 'min shutter speed in Auto ISO' available on the 5DIII, the 1D X has that setting, but also has 'hard' limits (lower and upper) that can be applied to shutter speed and aperture, which the camera will not override to get a correct exposure.

So, if you absolutely require a min shutter speed on the 5DIII, your best bet is probably to set the max allowable ISO at the top (or use Tv or M mode).

Also same scenario with 6D, Using Auto-ISO in Av mode, shutter speed is set to less than minimum shutter speed set WHEN auto-iso max out to get correct exposure.

I will try Manual Mode when I get home if this still holds.

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »

eninja

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »
I have tried using M mode, to keep the shutter speed fix in auto ISO mode,
but new problem arises, I can not control the exposure, auto ISO set such that the exposure always come out standard/even or what the camera think is good exposure.

Now going back to Av Mode with auto ISO and must take note shutter speed every time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »