November 24, 2017, 10:58:48 PM

Poll

simple does your 5Dmk3 have problems or is it totally awesome

Awesome (got a good one!)
63 (88.7%)
Has Problems (maybe a dud!)
8 (11.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Delivered 5Dmk3 Units Awesome vs Has problems  (Read 9773 times)

Sean Nel

Re: Delivered 5Dmk3 Units Awesome vs Has problems
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »
Happy as a clam, three days in....

Every problem I have seen was really minor, and was sorted either through eduction (stupid me, what was I thinking) or changing a setting on the camera (hunting on backlight - change to cross type sensor near edge and viola, perfect)

No errors, no problems. excellent results all round

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
It does sound like there are some genuine problems... however, there also seem to be some "my focussing doesn't work" which turn out to be incorrect usage ie. all auto or similar.

Shame that there are issues :(

bornshooter

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Love L series glass
    • my flickr
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »
maybe there are some problems but people have had there 5d3's no more than a week theres one thread here who said he shot a wedding with it and the AF is rubbish i mean cmon seriously WTF give yourself time with the equipment and learn how to use it properly this is a whole new complex AF system and im sure it's awesome although i dont have one yet so dont take my word for it.I think before people start commenting on the camera they should do so after at least 3-4 weeks hard usage then i will take your work for it.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 09:09:49 AM »
Man, what happened to Canon's QC?

Man, what happened to originality in trolling?

Seriously, have you no self respect? This "Canon QC is crap" line is old - you must try harder.

Seriously, it's an old line...and still used because it's still relevant.  1DIII AF issue?  5DII black spots issue? 

I find it curious that of all the recent releases, almost all of them have been delayed for unstated reasons...the 8-15 fisheye, the 4 supertele lenses, now the 1D X and 24-70 II are also delayed.  Why?  Is it simply for production reasons, or were problems identified with early units, resulting in a need to re-tool?  If so, that speaks to good QC, rather than poor QC, even if many people are upset with the delays.  Yet...the 5DIII came out on schedule, and a DPP update had to be released to support it.  Both have at least one known, acknowledged issue (IS noise with 200/2 and 800/5.6 for the 5DIII, soft RAW conversions with HQ mode for DPP).  Might there be other bona fide issues?  While Canon's QC might be quite good, it may be that they were overruled by marketing and pushed the 5DIII and DPP out the door with known issues. 

Just speculating...   :-X
EOS 1D X, EOS M2, lots of lenses

bornshooter

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Love L series glass
    • my flickr
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2012, 09:19:26 AM »

Seriously, have you no self respect? This "Canon QC is crap" line is old - you must try harder.

Seriously, it's an old line...and still used because it's still relevant.  1DIII AF issue?  5DII black spots issue? 

I find it curious that of all the recent releases, almost all of them have been delayed for unstated reasons...the 8-15 fisheye, the 4 supertele lenses, now the 1D X and 24-70 II are also delayed.  Why?  Is it simply for production reasons, or were problems identified with early units, resulting in a need to re-tool?  If so, that speaks to good QC, rather than poor QC, even if many people are upset with the delays.  Yet...the 5DIII came out on schedule, and a DPP update had to be released to support it.  Both have at least one known, acknowledged issue (IS noise with 200/2 and 800/5.6 for the 5DIII, soft RAW conversions with HQ mode for DPP).  Might there be other bona fide issues?  While Canon's QC might be quite good, it may be that they were overruled by marketing and pushed the 5DIII and DPP out the door with known issues. 

maybe you are correct but people are coming on here saying the 5d3 AF system is rubbish and that my friend is total bullshit!what it is is someone who has bought a new camera and doesn't have a clue how to operate it!

birtembuk

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 09:39:26 AM »

maybe you are correct but people are coming on here saying the 5d3 AF system is rubbish and that my friend is total bullS___!what it is is someone who has bought a new camera and doesn't have a clue how to operate it!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/jaccuse.shtml

JR

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »

We have a saying where i work:  marketing is the root of all evil!!!

My vote on all of these delays is that marketing had something to do to announce product before they were ready.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »

bbasiaga

• EOS M5
  • Canon Shooter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »

We have a saying where i work:  marketing is the root of all evil!!!

My vote on all of these delays is that marketing had something to do to announce product before they were ready.

I am currently working in a consumer goods company (not electronics though) and can corroborate that Marketing is universally cursed for making promises that operations and engineering cannot keep for them - at least not until we learn to re-write the laws of physics.

-Brian

jabbott

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
I find it curious that of all the recent releases, almost all of them have been delayed for unstated reasons...the 8-15 fisheye, the 4 supertele lenses, now the 1D X and 24-70 II are also delayed.  Why?  Is it simply for production reasons, or were problems identified with early units, resulting in a need to re-tool? 

Keep in mind that Canon's Utsunomiya factory was damaged by the 9.0 magnitude earthquake last March, and both Canon and its suppliers were affected by rolling power blackouts afterward.  I'm not sure if that explains more recent delays, but it could explain anything announced last year.  Here is more info from Canon's announcement last April:

1)    Depending on the procurement conditions for raw materials, parts and other supplies, production at Canon Inc. operation sites and Canon Group companies, including those mentioned above, may become intermittent.
2)    In regions subject to scheduled rolling blackouts, ensuring stable operations may prove difficult due to electrical outages.

Axilrod

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 11:02:17 AM »
You have to figure 1/2 of the "duds" probably aren't actually duds.  Too many people have taken a handful of snapshots (of things like the lamp in their living room) looked at the pictures on the back of the screen, and then instead of experimenting they hop online and start a thread about how disappointed they are.  There are pages and pages of settings ,people just need to read the manual and use them before rushing to judgement. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »
You have to figure 1/2 of the "duds" probably aren't actually duds.  Too many people have taken a handful of snapshots (of things like the lamp in their living room) looked at the pictures on the back of the screen, and then instead of experimenting they hop online and start a thread about how disappointed they are.  There are pages and pages of settings ,people just need to read the manual and use them before rushing to judgement.

it goes the other way too someone gets it takes a picture of a tennis ball on a lawn at f8 and declares that its categorically perfect
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 07:58:40 PM »