November 25, 2017, 01:15:19 AM

Author Topic: Is 5DIII softer than 5DII?  (Read 25565 times)

Tracy Pinto

Re: Is 5DIII softer than 5DII?
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
I think if it is ever released it ceases to be Vaporware.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:58 PM »
Woah, one delay and you declare vapor-ware. That's strict.

Try counting again...

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II - delayed
EOS 1D X - delayed
EF 600mm f/4L IS II - delayed
EF 500mm f/4L IS II - delayed
EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II - delayed
EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II - delayed
EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye - delayed

For the 500 and 600mm supertele lenses, the delays have exceeded 1.5 years and are still ongoing!

Delays for separate products don't constitute "vapor-ware". Vaporware implies that the announced product might not actually exist.

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II - delayed once (maybe)
EOS 1D X - delayed
EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II - delayed but now released
EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II - delayed but now released
EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye - delayed but now released

I did not use it literally, but in annoyance over the lack of delievery. One or two months might (by some, not me) be accepted, one or two years I think for the most part, people do not think is okay.

One thing is that you can't buy new stuff, but the longer you keep your old, the lower the price gets. Check out what happened with the 1d3 prices when the mk4 was released, and what happened to the mk4 prices when the X was released. For those of us who do not crap money, that means one of two things, loose A LOT in the delay time or spend 5 months with no camera. IF the X had been released in january and hit the stores in feburary, the loss of the mk4 I sat with would have been way less, and I could have replaced it with no vacuum in between. That would also make it easier for people to upgrade. Essentially I pay most of the new camera with money from the one I have.
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

EYEONE

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »
Woah, one delay and you declare vapor-ware. That's strict.

Try counting again...

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II - delayed
EOS 1D X - delayed
EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II - delayed
EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II - delayed
EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye - delayed

For the 500 and 600mm supertele lenses, the delays have exceeded 1.5 years and are still ongoing!

Delays for separate products don't constitute "vapor-ware". Vaporware implies that the announced product might not actually exist.

EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II - delayed once (maybe)
EOS 1D X - delayed
EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II - delayed but now released
EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II - delayed but now released
EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye - delayed but now released

I did not use it literally, but in annoyance over the lack of delievery. One or two months might (by some, not me) be accepted, one or two years I think for the most part, people do not think is okay.

One thing is that you can't buy new stuff, but the longer you keep your old, the lower the price gets. Check out what happened with the 1d3 prices when the mk4 was released, and what happened to the mk4 prices when the X was released. For those of us who do not crap money, that means one of two things, loose A LOT in the delay time or spend 5 months with no camera. IF the X had been released in january and hit the stores in feburary, the loss of the mk4 I sat with would have been way less, and I could have replaced it with no vacuum in between. That would also make it easier for people to upgrade. Essentially I pay most of the new camera with money from the one I have.

Well, true enough. I do think that Canon announced the 1Dx before they should have. And I'm not really defending Canon either. However, with everyone complaining about the lack of an update Canon might have felt the pressure from its market to go ahead and announce something?

And to be perfectly honest, I didn't realize the 500 and 600 were announced that long ago. As they cost more than my current car I'm less concerned :)
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
From the week I have had with the 5Dmk3 I can safely say I feel the sensor is fantastic. At narrow apertures and shooting with strobes the images are razor sharp.

open up that aperture and shoot ambient light on my copy and it all goes to hell. My copy definately has a nutty AF, i am glad many others are reporting joy with theirs so I'll see if I can get another copy and give it a whirl.

I'd rather have the 5Dmk2 AF over the AF on my copy of the 5Dmk3 (at least I can rely on the center point of on that camer!)

I'm a bit disapointed, taking it back today I hope I can get a replacement within a week sinc ei'm going overseas and would like to use the mk3
wicked, what lenses, apertures, focus points and shooting mode are you using? They all work together but they are very specific in application. Never use servo with big glass, use spot af primarily for static subjects, use spot af for most everything for things moving rapidly use focus with assist points. You prob know all that but i just dont get how you are experiencing this other than you need to micro adjust your lenses to the body or that you possibly have a bad copy, electronics aren't perfect, some get thru to the consumers even when tested in factory to be working properly. I hope you get things worked out because with what i have been getting in testing is excellent. I dont have any gigs at the moment so dont expect to see samples at this time. :)

I've stopped even bothering trying to work out servo now until I can get single shot AF sorted out,
Lenses tested are
16-35 f2.8 II
50mm f1.4
50mm f1.8II
sigma 85mm f1.4
100mm f2.8L IS Macro
24-105 f4L IS
70-200 f2.8L IS II
300 f4L IS

I have set it in spot focus only (I usually shoot in spot focus anyway) I failed miserably with AI servo but I blame myself for that and not knowing the AF but I've gone back to basics and even just trying to use it the way I use the 5Dmk2 with centerpoint and recompose.

I took it back to the shop yesterday but it started working, couldnt get it to misbehave for the guy in the shop :(
he said regardless they have a backlog of preorders to the end of may so no chance of exchanging it and him and none of the staff had even handled the camera yet. my mk3 was the first time he had put his hands on the camera and he was the assistant manager. He suggested I keep trying it out and seehow it goes.
I definately don't have enough confidence in this camera to use it in a wedding though, studio with flash and narrow aperture though no problem It's great but apertures wider than 2.8 Its just plain unreliable.

last night i sat down to go through all the micro adjust process again but just gave up in disgust after 2 lenses
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »