December 19, 2014, 06:50:36 PM

Author Topic: Is 5DIII softer than 5DII?  (Read 14825 times)

albertocanetta

Re: Is 5DIII softer than 5DII?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Yes...I can believe it.
But I will not open the mk3!!!!
I'll just return to the shop until something happens...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »
ah...ok...thank you for the information...so, I won't loose time for others body tests...

I'm starting to think that canon used a stronger anti-aliasing/moire filter to make a better video output than the mk2 version. And the stills are suffering for it...

If Canon can't fix this in firmware and they did this on purpose to get better video they need a SERIOUS asskicking, and that EVERYBODY return their mk3's to the dealer. Send them a message....

I'm hopefully downgrading to the 5d3 tomorrow, I will be keeping it though, and hope for Canon to get it right with a new firmware. But Canon needs to earn everybody's trust again, because lately they've been screwing up WAY too much....

screwing up way to much ????????!

Policar

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »
ah...ok...thank you for the information...so, I won't loose time for others body tests...

I'm starting to think that canon used a stronger anti-aliasing/moire filter to make a better video output than the mk2 version. And the stills are suffering for it...

Have you tried comparing results between raw and jpeg?  I've found jpegs to be okay from the 5DIII.  It's pretty bright outside maybe I will give this a try...

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »
The issue is happening because Canon put too strong of a low-pass filter in the 5D3 to deal with the aliasing and moire.

James Miller, a camera tech kind of guy, took out his low pass filter and the details of the image was MUCH sharper.

Here's the article. I believe it applies to both stills and video

http://www.eoshd.com/content/7727/james-miller-removes-optical-low-pass-filter-from-5d-mark-iii-for-resolution-increase

A second article on the fix

http://philipbloom.net/2012/04/01/a-drastic-solution-to-increasing-sharpness-with-the-5dmkiii/

Wow. That's bold. But this is kind of what Nikon now offers as one of the D800 options, right? To me so far all cameras without that filter have looked better. I would think it's one of the reasons why the Leica M9 looks better?
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 03:31:35 PM »
I'm not sure I would risk disassembling my new camera for that kind of tiny improvement. The images it produces are already outstanding.

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 03:37:11 PM »

If Canon compromised stills for video, they did not do a good job on the video part, either.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/7631/panasonic-gh2-vs-5d-mark-iii

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »
Two points.
The article that appeared on the CPN Europe site actually stated that the filter has been reduced in strength. Unfortunately, I can't find the link at the moment.
When the 7D first came out, Adobe RAW produced very soft images which improved once it had been refined with a couple of updates. I wouldn't make too many critical comparisons at the moment with what using what is little more than beta versions of software. The difference when the 7D came out, there wasn't the same issue with DPP.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 04:04:38 PM »

If Canon can't fix this in firmware and they did this on purpose to get better video they need a SERIOUS asskicking, and that EVERYBODY return their mk3's to the dealer. Send them a message....

I'm hopefully downgrading to the 5d3 tomorrow, I will be keeping it though, and hope for Canon to get it right with a new firmware. But Canon needs to earn everybody's trust again, because lately they've been screwing up WAY too much....

screwing up way to much ????????!

YES! I mentioned it before, but the S100 had an off center lens making the first batch useless. The G1x has useless AF and VF and costs way too much. The 60d lacking AFMA. The 1d X that never comes out along with the 300, 400, 500, 600, 200-400, 24-70 II. The WHOLE 5d3 shabang with tons of issues, listed in another topic by me, and also including that it now has NO user interchangable focusing screens

And even the short lived 1d4 that didn't get either the double crosstype af point AND spot-af (with all lenses) like the dirtcheap 7d got not long after.

And further back , the 1d mkIII with it's incredibly usless AF-system.

At the same time, I never hear of any issues like this over at the enemy's camp and they're putting out products that work and that people can trust when using it, and also trust that the cash they pay aren't wasted. They don't need to make excuses for nikon. You have no idea what it feels like to buy a 1d mkIII and get what I got. They tried to cover it up and releasing firmware, but then FINALLY admitting it sucked and tried TWO hardware fixes, but it still wasn't any good. And now with all of the 5d3 issues, the worst is the soft images, due the fact that they care more about video, than still pictures, because that can't be fixed in firmware.

I could go on if you like?
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Alker

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
Yes I like that...

In all the years me and a lot of other photographers were able to make TOP quality images with Canon equipment.

I have had it will all the complains about Canon.
Sell everything and buy another brand and see what happens then.

CNfuzzy

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »
I received my 5DIII a couple of days ago, and haven't done extensive testing with it yet, but I plan on doing some studio shots tonight.  I did notice in some of my high ISO comparisons that the 5DII seemed sharper in some instances.  And yes, I was shooting RAW and used the LR ACR 6.7RC to do the conversion.

Then, while looking again at the DPReview comparison, looking at the RAW versions of that studio image they shot I'm noticing the same thing ( but I don't know what method they used ).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

My MK3 is sharper than my MK2. Attached 300% crops - same lens - it was microadjusted on both cameras.

docsmith

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
Hmmmm.  Roger at lensrentals.com has the 5diii just slightly sharper than the already excellent 5Dii.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/d-resolution-tests

uwtb

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »
sweet mother of all the gods . . . this is the most confusing situation . . . one thing i am wondering is if people are using the most recent version of DPP.  supposedly, canon have this lens correction tool that UNDOES the optical low pass blurring:

The EOS 5D Mark III comes complete with the most advanced version of Digital Photo Professional (DPP) yet – Canon’s free, in-box software enabling high-speed, high quality processing of RAW images. New in DPP v3.11 is Digital Lens Optimizer – a revolutionary new tool designed to drastically improve image resolution.

Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) precisely imitates lens performance, with a series of complex mathematical functions replicating each stage of the journey of light through the optical path. Using this information DLO can correct a range of typical optical aberrations and loss of resolution caused by a camera’s low pass filter, by applying an inverse function to each shot to take the image nearer to how the scene appears to the naked eye. This creates exceptionally detailed, high-quality images with highly manageable file sizes, providing photographers with maximum image quality and greater flexibility.

this came from the press release posted on northlight-images http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_5d3.html

it would be a SLIGHT tedium to have to do this for every image, rather than having the images just come out "singing" (as Philip Bloom put it in his review), but if the end product is fabulous, i wouldn't mind.  we all do a certain degree of digital darkroom work.  no big deal. 

anyway . . . i am really hungry for some detailed reviews on the mark iii and the d800.  the fact that nikon lenses can be so hard to get hold of makes me reluctant to go with a d800.  but i sure hope to hear more positive, less conflicting news about the mark iii.  maybe i'll just go with a mark ii.

BUT, the question stands: are you all using the new software, and specifically its lens correction feature (DLO)?  or are we saying that the software is not doing what the press release claimed? 

albertocanetta

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »
I did my test with the newest version of DDP. DLO doesn't affect the sharpness result.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 06:11:43 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 06:20:56 PM »
Yes I like that...

In all the years me and a lot of other photographers were able to make TOP quality images with Canon equipment.

I have had it will all the complains about Canon.
Sell everything and buy another brand and see what happens then.

Well, why are you here and not shooting film then?

It's not the features I'm complaining about, it's the fact that Canon promises something, and it's not how it is in real life. I'm seriously tired of vapor-ware...

Are you seriously saying the 1d3 was great? Are you saying I, and all others, are wrong in what I stated above? Look around this forum and 5d3 news.. It is things to be concerned about, and when we pay for a product to be a certain way, like the sharpness and overall IQ of the 5d3 being better than the 5d2, isn't that expected?? It's also increased in price and have a HUGE list of what has improved... Isn't it a little strange that many things seem better with the 5d2 then? NO ONE expects to pay a hefty price for a new product, replacing their old, to do LESS...

I have seen fantastic images shot by Iphones, this isn't about that, this is about me and other people paying Canon ten's of thousands of dollars based on what they say a product can do, and it doesn't deliever.

Wouldn't you feel rather miffed if you paid ten grand for a bag of sugar instead of cocaine? Yes, it would get you a bit more awake, but it wouldn't excatly be what you expected now would it?

And by being a yes-man, nothing improves.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:28:51 PM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »
And further back , the 1d mkIII with it's incredibly usless AF-system.

I've got a late model 1Dmk3 and its AF is great never had a problem with it or are you refering to the debacle of the new release models?
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 06:25:53 PM »