November 28, 2014, 08:30:43 AM

Poll

If you have the Mk III, are you happy with it and do you consider it money well spent?

Delighted
124 (77%)
Happy
24 (14.9%)
It's okay
4 (2.5%)
Meh
4 (2.5%)
It's going back
5 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 161

Author Topic: 5D Mk III Owners - are you happy?  (Read 16270 times)

GeorgeMaciver

5D Mk III Owners - are you happy?
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »
I'm planning either the Mk III or the Mk II. Getting tired of listening to all the rants from folks who don't have the camera, so thought I'd ask you owners if you're happy with it, as you're the ones who would know.

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mk III Owners - are you happy?
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:54:11 PM »

XanuFoto

Re: 5D Mk III Owners - are you happy?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
I just came back from a company lunch. I shot with totally overcast weather under a sunroof. It was a group of people and had to go f7.1 so cranked up to ISO6400 and got a great image.  Thats the versatality from this camera  I will love. 

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »
If you visit the popular Sports Shooter website you will find similar critical rants about Nikon's new D4 and 800.
The 5D MK lll is simply a remarkable camera. The poll needs a word stronger than "delighted."

shizam1

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
Not sure yet... I definitely like the files better after ISO 1600, but I'm wondering if the shots below that are softer than I was getting on my 5DII.  Just made a post about that actually, to see if anyone else has any experience with it.

tasteofjace

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
Most people struggling with soft images are those who do not know how to use the advanced AF system yet.

I was definitely one of those people, and spent a full day just learning how to use the different AF modes. It paid off.

Love the camera and how usable it is for so many different situations. Both video and photo wise.

shizam1

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:25:50 PM »
Most people struggling with soft images are those who do not know how to use the advanced AF system yet.

That's a strong statement, and I'm sure you polled all 5DIII users that have soft images :)

I'm aware of how to use the AF, and I'm wondering if it's soft.

willagaroon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
First day really shooting with it yesterday.  I have to say I'm very happy but I am coming from an original 5D so it's a pretty good leap for me.

Really impressed with the auto focus as it worked really well on my constantly moving kids.  Only battle I had was with them running around and it being overcast going from bright full sun to completely obscured sun.  Was able to push in post some of the underexposed shots and still like the results.

Example shot (not my favorite photo from yesterday but was surprised by the detail in the hairs on the back of his shirt):
http://www.willrphotography.com/kids/5D3_0438.jpg

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »

scottcognato

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:29:55 PM »

I was definitely one of those people, and spent a full day just learning how to use the different AF modes. It paid off.

I totally agree! I spent my day yesterday w/the camera tethered to my compy, dialing in the MFA, as well as just reading up on how to use each separate type of autofocus. Coming from 5dii, all I did was center-focus and recompose (like most). The abilities opened up to me (I shoot weddings primarily, but this also applies to walk around everyday stuff) by the new autofocus alone are worth the upgrade to me. Add in all the other perks, and I am more than "delighted." I have absolutely no complaints w/low iso performance -  I am by no means an authority on the subject, but I have an epson 3880 printer, and printed some fairly large shots yesterday, and am very pleased!

markko

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
Copy-paste from what I've written in another thread:

"Having used the 5Dmk3 for about a week now I have to agree with KR that the AF system is the area that I have to get used to most.

I've owned the 300D, 20D and the 1Dmk3 (used it for the last 4.5 years). I'm used to toggle between AF 'modes' (spot AF and 'auto-AF' (where the camera will pick the focus points, choosing from all available points)) just by using the little joystick on the back. Press once: go to the center point. Press twice: switch to the 'auto-AF' mode.

With the 5Dmk3 this is not longer possible to do (as far as I could figure out). First you have to press the AF button, then use the M-Fn button to toggle between the AF modes. You can disable modes that you don't want, but you still have to use another button than the joystick to switch between the AF modes. Hopefully they will fix this with a firmware update, because it's just silly to add extra steps in the selection of the AF modes.

Another thing that quite annoys me is that the focus point is black in the viewfinder. If you're shooting in a dark place it's impossible to see what AF-point you're using. Hopefully they can fix this as well with a firmware update, because now at times you're wondering why the damn thing isn't getting focus, finding out that the focus point is at another place as you're thinking. I prefer the red AF-point in the viewfinder of my 1Dmk3.

Other than that: I love the camera :D And I will even be more in love when the battery grip will finally arrive!"

photoxication

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
I love it!  My biggest 5DIII happy feeling: color reproduction and IQ looks great to me through a wide range of ISO settings.  My complaint:  the AF system is a bit intimidating for me, but I'm working my way through that.

A little added bonus for me was finding out this week that my Tokina 11-16/2.8 works pretty darn good at 15.5-16mm even if it is a crop lens at 2.8!  It's a bit soft around the edges, but so am I!

thatguy

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
I love this camera.  I got in to photography about 20 years ago with a used A-1 for 6 years before getting my first autofocus camera (A2e).  I've had a handful of bodies including the 5d mark II and I think the mark III is much more than in incremental upgrade.  I have been blown away with the autofocus and how easy it is to manual change the focus point.  To be honest I loved the 5d mark II but the combination of the upgraded autofocus, the quite shutter and overall build quality makes this upgrade well worth it.

While I do care about IQ, I don't feel that was a big need of improvement over the mark II.  I agree with Jeff Ascough when he says, "You will lose the ability to blame the camera for any shortcomings in your own photographic ability."

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
got my 5d 3 in this week along with a 600 flash.  thrilled, cancelled 1D X pre-order.

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
I purchased two of them. Love them. The 24-105 and 70-200 IS II lenses are excellent and very sharp. I shot a wedding over the weekend and the results were great. The auto ISO is a neat feature unless you turn on the flash, then it stops working. As long as you don't try and use flash and auto ISO together, the camera is a dream. The focus system is great, I like it better than the Nikons I was using.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »

shizam1

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 02:39:55 PM »
Another thing that quite annoys me is that the focus point is black in the viewfinder. If you're shooting in a dark place it's impossible to see what AF-point you're using. Hopefully they can fix this as well with a firmware update, because now at times you're wondering why the damn thing isn't getting focus, finding out that the focus point is at another place as you're thinking. I prefer the red AF-point in the viewfinder of my 1Dmk3.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but you can make a menu change so that it shows the AF point that is selected in bright red once it locks onto something, instead of just that circle turning red.  I also changed it so the circle ALWAYS flashes red, not just in low light areas.  I currently use center AF ( not spot ), with the 4 surrounding points, but I don't have them show up in the VF, only highlight red when AF is achieved.

nick.b

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
Love it, it's the first DSLR I can hand over to my wife to take snap shots without a long list of instructions.  Shooting at fast apertures is a breeze and stress free with this AF system.  Point and click.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »