April 16, 2014, 07:10:22 AM

Poll

If you have the Mk III, are you happy with it and do you consider it money well spent?

Delighted
124 (77%)
Happy
24 (14.9%)
It's okay
4 (2.5%)
Meh
4 (2.5%)
It's going back
5 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 161

Author Topic: 5D Mk III Owners - are you happy?  (Read 14741 times)

GeorgeMaciver

Re: 5D Mk III Owners - are you happy?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »
Astonishing results from this poll, glad I asked now. I'm back on track for a Mk III and to heck with the trolls. Thanks guys :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 02:54:34 PM »

markko

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 02:56:41 PM »
Another thing that quite annoys me is that the focus point is black in the viewfinder.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but you can make a menu change so that it shows the AF point that is selected in bright red once it locks onto something, instead of just that circle turning red.  I also changed it so the circle ALWAYS flashes red, not just in low light areas.  I currently use center AF ( not spot ), with the 4 surrounding points, but I don't have them show up in the VF, only highlight red when AF is achieved.

Thanks for the reply :-) I think I've tried all possible settings for the coloring/highlighting of the selected AF point, but not one of the settings will show the selected AF point bright red at all times (which I'm used to). When you're shooting in a dark place and the camera has difficulty getting focus you actually have to point at a bright area to check which AF point you have selected (or press the AF button of course).

shizam1

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 03:06:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply :-) I think I've tried all possible settings for the coloring/highlighting of the selected AF point, but not one of the settings will show the selected AF point bright red at all times (which I'm used to). When you're shooting in a dark place and the camera has difficulty getting focus you actually have to point at a bright area to check which AF point you have selected (or press the AF button of course).

Ok, I know what you're talking about, I was looking for that option too.

I would THINK that they can make that change with a firmware update, since they already have the ability to color the areas red. 

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 03:15:54 PM »
I sent my first unit back because I was convince I had some issues with softness.  However I am getting a new unit shortly as soon as I find a body only in stock!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

ippikiokami

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »
The more I shoot with it the more I am glad I didn't

1) Switch to Nikon (it's something I've thought about for years and it was more a, I had my ducks in order than I hated the specs of the 5d III
2) Buy and wait for the 1dx. I think it will be an amazing camera but after shooting for years on a 1 series ( ds II, dIII, dIV ) and a 5d2 I have to say I need to learn more to max this camera's abilities out.

Still might eventually get a 1dx for some of the types of shooting I do. But getting less and less likely the more I used the 5d III

Tim Larsen

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »
The AF is amazing.  As a professional wedding photog, this is exactly the camera I was looking for.

If I could change anything would be to take the megapixels down to 16-18 or so, but I'm thrilled with my new Mark III

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »
To the OP... good job, you single handedly did Canon's marketing research exit poll for them =)  Now they have to sit back and soak in the overwhelming numbers hahaha.  On a serious note, still waiting on my body only but from the results i'm seeing, i cant wait. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 03:38:43 PM »

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 03:47:14 PM »
First day really shooting with it yesterday.  I have to say I'm very happy but I am coming from an original 5D so it's a pretty good leap for me.

Really impressed with the auto focus as it worked really well on my constantly moving kids.  Only battle I had was with them running around and it being overcast going from bright full sun to completely obscured sun.  Was able to push in post some of the underexposed shots and still like the results.

Example shot (not my favorite photo from yesterday but was surprised by the detail in the hairs on the back of his shirt):
http://www.willrphotography.com/kids/5D3_0438.jpg

very nice shot (great color, focus and composition) and your son looks really cute

h4ldol

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »
Reading threads like this while awaiting delivery of my 5dIII make me nervous.  :-\

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
I'm positively thrilled.

My only gripe is that I've got a long slog ahead of me to get to the point where I'm using the camera to its full potential, but part of that is perfectionism on my part (like AF adjustments on all my lenses and calibrating the Sekonic and building color profiles and what-not) and the rest will be fun (like learning how to make the most of the new AF system).

I wouldn't have turned up my nose at a few more megapickles, but I'll take all the non-sensor improvements over a marginal (and, in the real world, negligible) bump in IQ. Besides, anything I'd personally really want those extra megapickles for...I can just as easily do a panorama and blow past the measly 100 megapickle range of top-end medium format. Same thing for the bitched-about "lack" of dynamic range; any situation where the native DR of the 5DIII isn't enough it'll be also be (at least) questionable enough with the D800 that you'll be doing HDR with either camera. And the 5DIII makes RAW capture for HDR trivial and even gives you a not-sucky preview JPEG to boot!

Cheers,

b&

dericcainphoto

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! That about sums it up...

Waterdonkey

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »
Currently HAPPY :) on the way to DELIGHTED ;D

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
Another thing that quite annoys me is that the focus point is black in the viewfinder. If you're shooting in a dark place it's impossible to see what AF-point you're using. Hopefully they can fix this as well with a firmware update, because now at times you're wondering why the damn thing isn't getting focus, finding out that the focus point is at another place as you're thinking. I prefer the red AF-point in the viewfinder of my 1Dmk3.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but you can make a menu change so that it shows the AF point that is selected in bright red once it locks onto something, instead of just that circle turning red.  I also changed it so the circle ALWAYS flashes red, not just in low light areas.  I currently use center AF ( not spot ), with the 4 surrounding points, but I don't have them show up in the VF, only highlight red when AF is achieved.

I changed my modes to illuminate the VF in all lighting rather than merely low light and I changed the VF to pre and post focus verification (i can't remember the actual setting name) to have the camera closer emulate my old 40D of "Focus, red dot stays on". The only issue I have with it is it all disapperas once focus is achieved and you are left with the spot meter circle.

I count myself as happy and will be delighted once the 200 F2 business is sorted out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 05:00:21 PM »
Happily shooting in absurdly low levels of light. I've been waiting for this camera for over 20 years.

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »
While i've yet to shoot more than a few dozen jpgs, that are still in the camera, I 'm happy with the mk3. I'm a bit saddened to see how complex the AF system(and all the menu options really) has become, and that it doesn't have that AF "snap" that my 1dmk2 has. I really wanted it to operate faster with that lightning response that the 1dmk2 has, but i guess i would have to get the 1dx for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »