September 21, 2014, 08:47:49 PM

Poll

If you have the Mk III, are you happy with it and do you consider it money well spent?

Delighted
124 (77%)
Happy
24 (14.9%)
It's okay
4 (2.5%)
Meh
4 (2.5%)
It's going back
5 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 161

Author Topic: 5D Mk III Owners - are you happy?  (Read 15759 times)

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mk III Owners - are you happy?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
If I could change anything would be to take the megapixels down to 16-18 or so, but I'm thrilled with my new Mark III

isn't that what MRAW and SRAW are for?
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »

etg9

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »
very very happy.

kenraw

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
Another thing that quite annoys me is that the focus point is black in the viewfinder.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but you can make a menu change so that it shows the AF point that is selected in bright red once it locks onto something, instead of just that circle turning red.  I also changed it so the circle ALWAYS flashes red, not just in low light areas.  I currently use center AF ( not spot ), with the 4 surrounding points, but I don't have them show up in the VF, only highlight red when AF is achieved.

Just tap the top right buton on the back with your thumb and all focus points light up so you can pick one, I use this all the time in a dark situation. easy peasy.

Ken

Thanks for the reply :-) I think I've tried all possible settings for the coloring/highlighting of the selected AF point, but not one of the settings will show the selected AF point bright red at all times (which I'm used to). When you're shooting in a dark place and the camera has difficulty getting focus you actually have to point at a bright area to check which AF point you have selected (or press the AF button of course).

kenraw

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
Reading threads like this while awaiting delivery of my 5dIII make me nervous.  :-\

What are you nervous for?
This camera is awesome, sharp as a dog and the AF is stunning, not too mention the high iso capability,
It's as near perfect camera as you can currently get in my eyes.
Take the moaning and BS with a pinch of salt and don't let it spoil your excitement, you won't be dissapointed.
Trust me!

shizam1

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
Not sure yet... I definitely like the files better after ISO 1600, but I'm wondering if the shots below that are softer than I was getting on my 5DII.  Just made a post about that actually, to see if anyone else has any experience with it.

So I did some studio shots, and looks like the 5DIII is as sharp if not sharper than my 5DII.  Also, focus was pretty much nailed on nose of teddy bear test subject, while 5DII was kind of all over the place.  So looking good.

One thing to note, I had to bring down the exposure on the 5DIII shots by .25 in Lightroom, so that camera is over-exposing ( or more sensitive to light ) than the 5DII.  I used the same lighting of course, and all 3 shots with the 5DIII were over-exposed as compared to the 5DII, so it's not light variance.  The strobe is an Einstien BTW.

Lloyd50

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 06:55:50 PM »
Love it!
1DX- 16-35L f2.8 II - 24-70L F2.8  - 70-200L F2.8 II - 50 1.4

SwanSong

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
It's still way to early for me to tell. I've only shot Macro with it so far and the differences with it and my t2i in overall IQ is subtle just after 3 0 minutes of shooting. I've lost reach, the DOF is much narrower which is good and bad for my macro shots. I shot some iso 3200 shots and they looked amazing in the viewfinder but ended up looking really flat in DPP and LR. I have everything turned off except for Chromatic aberration and illumination and currently shooting in Standard mode and have strictly shot center point AF. The below image was shot with the 100mm 2.8L Macro: Wide open at 2.8, 1/200, and iso100--sharpening and NO-NR

I am looking forward this weekend test driving with the 50mm. You can see one of my floral keepers here:

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »

Janus

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 07:12:13 PM »
SwanSong
but ended up looking really flat in DPP and LR
still finding post about soft image and flat image and for my taste it flat too! What does it means? Bad: technology, matrix, firmware, bad RAW converter even in DPP and LR4 or not real production model and just 'beta' product to win sales start date compare D800?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:14:03 PM by Janus »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
I purchased two of them. Love them. The 24-105 and 70-200 IS II lenses are excellent and very sharp. I shot a wedding over the weekend and the results were great. The auto ISO is a neat feature unless you turn on the flash, then it stops working. As long as you don't try and use flash and auto ISO together, the camera is a dream. The focus system is great, I like it better than the Nikons I was using.
The auto iso defaults to 400iso when flash is used which i think is pretty darn smart!
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 12:57:10 AM »

I purchased two of them. Love them. The 24-105 and 70-200 IS II lenses are excellent and very sharp. I shot a wedding over the weekend and the results were great. The auto ISO is a neat feature unless you turn on the flash, then it stops working. As long as you don't try and use flash and auto ISO together, the camera is a dream. The focus system is great, I like it better than the Nikons I was using.
The auto iso defaults to 400iso when flash is used which i think is pretty darn smart!

I absolutely hate that it does that. You'd think these guys had no real world experience shooting these cameras. I'd like complete control over the ISO range, including when using flash. Apparently it goes up to 1600 if you set the flash head to bounce, which isn't nearly enough. I typically use my flash at events with the ISO set to 3200 or 6400.

tasteofjace

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 02:05:30 AM »
I've already posted in here how happy I am with this camera. But here are 3 of my favorite shots I took today! I'm still very happy  ;)

EDIT: The first two photos were taken with my 24-105mm Kit lens. The third shot of the moon was taken with a 100-400mm f/4.0-5.6 L Lens... and was taken Handheld.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 02:22:45 AM by tasteofjace »

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 02:30:20 AM »
I got mine yesterday! 
So far I'm stoked by 5d3's capabilities - this coming from a 7d user.
It's more than a camera I'll ever need. Phew!!
5D MkIII

RedShark

you're looking at the new server
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 03:58:05 AM »

you’re looking at the new server

test1

test2

canon rumors FORUM

you're looking at the new server
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 03:58:05 AM »

Vaz

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 04:13:12 AM »
The AF is amazing.  As a professional wedding photog, this is exactly the camera I was looking for.

If I could change anything would be to take the megapixels down to 16-18 or so, but I'm thrilled with my new Mark III

I just don't get comments like this. Why not just switch it down to RAW medium or Raw small if you want less mp? Is there something special about the sensor itself physically having less mp? Are you looking for photo sites more spread out on the sensor? I don't get it. Personally I love my 5dmIII. I have no complaints. I tried the II and I did love it, but was a bit worried about using it in wetter conditions(rain or drizzle) and the auto-focus just wasn't what I expected for over 2g's. I think the mark III was worth the wait and although I would have loved a lower price point, not at the cost of any of the features it has. If this is what it takes to make a good well rounded camera, then it is money well spent.

thure1982

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 04:25:49 AM »

I absolutely hate that it does that. You'd think these guys had no real world experience shooting these cameras. I'd like complete control over the ISO range, including when using flash. Apparently it goes up to 1600 if you set the flash head to bounce, which isn't nearly enough. I typically use my flash at events with the ISO set to 3200 or 6400.

Are you kidding me. You say that you whant complete controll over ISO and yet you hate that the camera set the AUTO-ISO to 400.
Why the hell do you use auto then?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 04:25:49 AM »