August 22, 2014, 10:02:46 AM

Author Topic: BG-e11 Hand Grip Gripe  (Read 4590 times)

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
BG-e11 Hand Grip Gripe
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »
Where the heck is this thing?? You can't even find it on Canon USA's site unless you go to accessories in the 5dm III page. I wish it came with a battery so between the 5dm3 and the grip you are covered.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

BG-e11 Hand Grip Gripe
« on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: BG-e11 Hand Grip Gripe
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
Where the heck is this thing?? You can't even find it on Canon USA's site unless you go to accessories in the 5dm III page. I wish it came with a battery so between the 5dm3 and the grip you are covered.

I've heard April 15th in stores.

takoman46

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 12:40:45 AM »
Did anybody jump on the pre-order for the BG-E11? I wouldn't think there would be any shortage of battery grips since out of all the photographers I know, most do not use grips on their 5DmkII. Well that sample group of shooters may not be accurate in relationship to the rest of the world and it's hard to say whether there may be a shortage since unlike the mkII's release, the mkIII has hit retailers in large quantities.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:05 AM »
I find the smaller size of the 5D MK II to be one of the benefits, but for those who take lots of portrait oriented images, that will not be the case.  In the past, I've had to remove grips when mounting the body on a tripod, because I could not keep the body still, even with a ordinary non-telephoto lens.

It sounds like the new grip will be sturdier.

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 01:00:23 AM »
I wish they'd take a cue from Sony, of all companies, and design a grip with the shutter release in the same position as the horizontal release. Putting the release on the corner, as Canon does, means shifting my grip to a less stable stance. I love the design of the Sony/Minoltas.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 02:40:13 AM »
I was just at BIC Camera in Shinjuku Japan. They told me the official release date for the grip is April 25th.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 02:40:13 AM »

thure1982

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 03:53:11 AM »
In the past, I've had to remove grips when mounting the body on a tripod, because I could not keep the body still, even with a ordinary non-telephoto lens.

It sounds like you have a weak tripod or head.
I always keep my grip on and with a 200 lens there is no problem mounting the tripod on the grip.

markko

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 04:14:46 AM »
I was just at BIC Camera in Shinjuku Japan. They told me the official release date for the grip is April 25th.

I pre-ordered my grip at a Dutch store; this week I received an email from the store in which they told me the grip would be available on July 30th, 2012!!!  :(

Having used a 1D for 4.5 years now, the 5D really feels 'not complete' without the grip, so I'm hoping I can pick up a grip from outside the Netherlands as I have a nice trip planned to South Africa... in July! :)

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 04:20:03 AM »
I didn't mind paying extra money for the 5D MK lll, but you won't see me in line for the new, high-priced Canon grip. Nope, not a chance. I'm waiting for the Zeikos version. The one I purchased for my MK ll was under $60, and identical to the expensive Canon grip.

thure1982

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 04:29:15 AM »
I didn't mind paying extra money for the 5D MK lll, but you won't see me in line for the new, high-priced Canon grip. Nope, not a chance. I'm waiting for the Zeikos version. The one I purchased for my MK ll was under $60, and identical to the expensive Canon grip.

Is it weather sealed?

peederj

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 08:48:56 AM »
I wish they'd take a cue from Sony, of all companies, and design a grip with the shutter release in the same position as the horizontal release. Putting the release on the corner, as Canon does, means shifting my grip to a less stable stance. I love the design of the Sony/Minoltas.

Great point Steven...if you have a heavy lens (or even if not) this alters the center of balance and always feels a bit funny as a result.

But since it's baked-in to their 1 series bodies they aren't going to admit error via a battery grip.  Maybe a knockoff grip will come out like this though and we can have it that way.

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »
What will you be shooting when you go?

I'm headed to the Serengeti in August, and hope to have a 5DIII for the trip.

sek

I pre-ordered my grip at a Dutch store; this week I received an email from the store in which they told me the grip would be available on July 30th, 2012!!!  :(

Having used a 1D for 4.5 years now, the 5D really feels 'not complete' without the grip, so I'm hoping I can pick up a grip from outside the Netherlands as I have a nice trip planned to South Africa... in July! :)
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
I hope your info is correct but i have a mountain bike race i wanted to test the 5dm3 on and just wanted the battery life. When i shoot weddings i wont have the grip on, the lighter the better when carrying camera gear all day. I dont really need it but it would be a convenience.
Also as far as knockoffs go i'll stick to Canons likely more waterproofed version with the new rubbery grip feel that the body has. I want it all to match up. Maybe they want to hold off on the battery grips release to get people who need the grip buying the 1dx lol.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
Maybe they want to hold off on the battery grips release to get people who need the grip buying the 1dx lol.

For that to be true, the 1D X would have to actually be available...   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »