April 19, 2014, 01:04:54 PM

Author Topic: is the 40D still a good one for 400$  (Read 15154 times)

briansquibb

Re: is the 40D still a good one for 400$
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:58 AM »
Love my 40D, have used the hell out of it since 2007. I would possibly say the step from 350D to 40D was more significant than the step from 40D to 5D2 (which I only made last week after canceling pre-orders on the "3" and D800).

One of these is a 40D. One is a 5D2. Both are the EF50mm f/1.4. Without pixel peeping (or EXIF cheating), I would be hard pressed to tell which was which.

Can pick them because the first one looks like a tighter shot, the second one looks wider and has a little perspective distortion, but that's just due to fov of the lens. To me, the 40D shot comes across as a better picture over all.

Does to me as well .... however with the 5DII at iso100 and the 85 1.8 taking the same image I would not bet on the 40D being best, for a start with at f/2.5 the background would have been creamy instead of rough grained

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:58 AM »

3kramd5

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
Love my 40D, have used the hell out of it since 2007. I would possibly say the step from 350D to 40D was more significant than the step from 40D to 5D2 (which I only made last week after canceling pre-orders on the "3" and D800).

One of these is a 40D. One is a 5D2. Both are the EF50mm f/1.4. Without pixel peeping (or EXIF cheating), I would be hard pressed to tell which was which.

I would say the first is the 5DII

Nope. :P

Would be interested to know how you got more bg grain with the 5D2 then - bigger crop, higher iso??

Substantially higher. 40D @ 100ISO, 5D2 @ 1600. Both at f/2.5. 1600 wasn't necessary, though, just playing with the camera. 5D2 was 1/500; I generally aim for 1/125-1/250 when shooting my boy, and not so wide that the tip of his nose goes OOF.

Again I was picking a 5D2 image to try and match DOF to eliminate it as a giveaway. Something like this makes it more obvious (400ISO, f/2.8 )

Also, I'm driving the 5D2 the same way I drive the 40D (manual exp, generally half a stop left of center in the exposure meter - don't want to deal with ETTR). Perhaps with time I'll pick up a better way to get more out of the 5D2. Either way, I think that the 40D is still a viable camera. It has its weaknesses (ISO gets silly in a hurry), but can deliver.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:30:52 AM by 3kramd5 »
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • A2B Art
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2012, 03:26:53 AM »
Also, I'm driving the 5D2 the same way I drive the 40D (manual exp, generally half a stop left of center in the exposure meter - don't want to deal with ETTR). Perhaps with time I'll pick up a better way to get more out of the 5D2. Either way, I think that the 40D is still a viable camera. It has its weaknesses (ISO gets silly in a hurry), but can deliver.

from my time with 40D and 5D2 i found they also meter similarly. I'd partial meter on that cute little face and set for +1/3 to +2/3 EV to max your exp accuracy.

i also found the newer bodies with the color AE sensors tend to be much better at WB and exposure; can usually leave them set to AWB and 0 EVE comp when shooting fast in changing light and most other situations too. Sure wish the 5D2 had that color metering on it sometimes; could mean less tweaking on post.

3kramd5

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Is there any difference between using EV comp and simply metering slightly left or right?

I'm assuming it merely shifts what the meter displays and doesn't adjust shutter/aperture or ISO.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:33:22 PM by 3kramd5 »

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
There is a lot of love for this camera because it is a great design with a balanced set of features. I have traveled extensively and just love the images I brought home.

RAKAMRAK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips. Is there any difference between using EV comp and simply metering slightly left or right?

I'm assuming it merely shifts what the meter displays and doesn't adjust shutter/aperture or ISO.

What do you mean by metering slightly left or right? Are you talking about manual or AV/TV mode?

Say you are in AV mode, ISO is set at 100 and aperture f/4.0 and you are using 0 EV compensation. The camera meters the scene at 1/500th of a second.

Now, if you want to overexpose the scene by +2/3 stops you dial in +2/3 EV compensation, then the camera will give you a shutter speed 2/3rd stop slower than 1/500 i.e. 1/320th sec.

If you were in TV mode (ISO=100) and shutter speed 1/500th sec then for exactly the same scene the camera will give you f/4.0 aperture. If you again dial in +2/3 EV comp, then the camera will choose f/3.2 which is 2/3 stops larger aperture than f/4.0.

However, if you are in Manual mode, then you cannot dial in EV compensation. Take the above scene again. ISO=100, you choose aperture f/4.0, shutter speed 1/500th sec. Since that was exposure level chosen at either AV or TV mode with 0 EV compensation, therefore, the meter indicator will be in blinking at the middle of the scale. You want to overexpose the scene by +2/3 stops, then you need to either go for f/3.2 (you are on manual mode) or 1/320th sec (or 1/3rd stop larger aperture and 1/3 stop slower shutter speed or any such combination)

Bottom line is in AV/TV mode you can dial in the Exposure Compensation and camera changes the shutter speed/aperture; in Manual mode to get a higher exposure you need to choose the shutter speed or  aperture or both yourself.
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

unadog

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »
Didn't read the whole thread.  Sorry if this is a repeat.

The 40D has been selling for about $375 recently at Fred Miranda.

I just bought a T3i for video. I will be selling a very clean 40D, with about 8,000 shots on it.  Probably "Excellent +" - always had LCD covers on, etc.

I expect to get about the $375 for it, or a bit less.

Not shopping it here - too busy with taxes to sell it this week. Just FYI.

Good luck! Nice camera.

Michael

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 04:35:07 PM »

3kramd5

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
However, if you are in Manual mode, then you cannot dial in EV compensation. Take the above scene again. ISO=100, you choose aperture f/4.0, shutter speed 1/500th sec. Since that was exposure level chosen at either AV or TV mode with 0 EV compensation, therefore, the meter indicator will be in blinking at the middle of the scale. You want to overexpose the scene by +2/3 stops, then you need to either go for f/3.2 (you are on manual mode) or 1/320th sec (or 1/3rd stop larger aperture and 1/3 stop slower shutter speed or any such combination)

Bottom line is in AV/TV mode you can dial in the Exposure Compensation and camera changes the shutter speed/aperture; in Manual mode to get a higher exposure you need to choose the shutter speed or  aperture or both yourself.

Yes, I shoot M and was thinking that maybe Exposure Compensation would shift what the light meter displays.

thanks for the info

RAKAMRAK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2012, 05:20:12 PM »

Yes, I shoot M and was thinking that maybe Exposure Compensation would shift what the light meter displays.

thanks for the info

No, in the M mode there is no way to use Exposure Compensation (EC), this feature does not remain active (as far as I know) anymore in M. Using EC in AV/TV is basically letting the "Camera Computer" do "something" automatically, but in M as the name suggests everything is Manual and so this "auto" feature is deactivated.
My Flickr Page

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • A2B Art
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2012, 12:45:54 AM »
No, in the M mode there is no way to use Exposure Compensation (EC), this feature does not remain active (as far as I know) anymore in M. Using EC in AV/TV is basically letting the "Camera Computer" do "something" automatically, but in M as the name suggests everything is Manual and so this "auto" feature is deactivated.

Some body has the ability to hold shutter speed and aperture manually set and the exposure computer can then adjust ISO to make the shot if ISO is in an auto mode.  I don't know what body that is tho, or even if it's one of Canon's but I read about it a while back and thot it'd be an useful feature in some circumstances.  I don't know if or how EV comp would be done then, likely the +/- button simultaneous with a control wheel or arrow key in a way different from the usual M settings.

briansquibb

« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2012, 01:24:19 AM »

Some body has the ability to hold shutter speed and aperture manually set and the exposure computer can then adjust ISO to make the shot if ISO is in an auto mode.  I don't know what body that is tho, or even if it's one of Canon's but I read about it a while back and thot it'd be an useful feature in some circumstances.  I don't know if or how EV comp would be done then, likely the +/- button simultaneous with a control wheel or arrow key in a way different from the usual M settings.

That was the series 1 feature setting AV to work like M:

- enable safety shift (iso speed) C.Fn 1 - 8
- set shutter speed range C.fn 1 - 12 (  set the minimum shutter speed )

In the field:

- set the Av value
- set the base iso value (can be L so then it acts as auto iso)
- set exp comp as needed (yes we get exp comp and auto iso this way)

I have photographed karts so I set the minimum Tv to 1/500, Av at f/4 and iso100 which was about the critical point. ISO went up and down as expected, Tv went above 500 when the cloud lifted

So there you are - how to get auto iso with iso and Av limits set.

This applies to the Series 1 only

RAKAMRAK

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »

This applies to the Series 1 only

I have never even seen a series 1 camera, so had no idea about this feature. I was only talking about EOS 40D. But good to know. Thanks for sharing the info.
My Flickr Page

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2012, 09:21:57 AM »