December 22, 2014, 09:23:10 PM

Author Topic: Cancelled my D800 pre-order... !!!  (Read 8842 times)

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Cancelled my D800 pre-order... !!!
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »
...First of all, I hope no one interprets my post as a flame-bait troll post, I write this as a current owner of both Nikon and Canon SLRs (film & digital). Let me explain how I arrived at my decision, after carefully considering and evaluating all the initial reviews and sample pictures I've seen from the D800 on the various websites. I have a feeling that the D800 would be like what I felt when I saw the pictures from a D200 and D2x, sure, both "tested" well if you read the reviews at that time for both cams, some even claimed then that the D200 noise & overall IQ was as good as that from a 30D, the crop IQ king at that time IIRC, while the D2x, according to those same reviewers, compared favorably with the 1DIIn & 5D even though it had a 1.5x crop sensor. I'm also one of those who thought that the Nikon D50 6MP CCD had better IQ than the D80, D40, D40x while others were pointing to charts & graphs to say otherwise. Anyway, I'm not saying the D800 sucks or what, nor am I saying that I'm getting the 5D3, since if money was no problem I'd only be choosing between the D4 & 1DX to be honest. But I'm also not one of those +2000 fill-lighters, +10EV digital exposure compensators, +20 luma/+20 chroma noise reduction slider-movers, or 800% pixel-peepers nor is my hobby cropping & resizing every damned picture that comes out of my camera , nor do I even shoot RAW all the time since I don't have the time to develop every single frame or tweak every setting just so to "maximize" the digital negative. Really, how many shots in a week do those "I only shoot RAW" guys make and do they have time for anything else? Most real pros I know don't even do that, and these are the guys that are so busy they don't even participate in online forums like this! :P

I hope no one bashes me for what I just said, I think I need to buy another lens or two instead of getting some other body. I'm still withholding judgement on the AA-cancelled D800E though. I'm currently shooting with a 5D2 & a pre-owned D300s I won on eBay. Cheers to everyone, since I know this site is for Canon owners and not for Nikon trolls to cross-post like they do on other forums where many brands are discussed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:59:22 AM by Noink Fanb0i »
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

canon rumors FORUM

Cancelled my D800 pre-order... !!!
« on: March 31, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelled my D800 pre-order... !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
I can't imagine what an endless string of comparisons between old camera models has to do with anything. Which camera you choose to buy and use depends on a couple of factors. How you like the camera to feel and function, and what you use it for/need it to do.
I need maximum pixel power because it often happens that a shot I take for a customer (building sites and the like) has a cool detail in it that my customer absolutely wants to use for something. So the ability to crop heavily and still have usable resolution is KING for me. I'm not a sports photographer, the fastes thing in my frame is a machine rolling by or people working and walking around.
So I'll choose a high res camera over a really fast one. Simple.
If you need speed above all else, you don't get a super-high pixel camera.
If you need a balance between the two - good speed and good resolution - you pick the middle path.
Nikon and Canon are two mighty fine makes of camera, both make exceptional bodies and amazing glass. So pick make by how you like the camera to feel and function, choose model by what you need it for... and you're done.

se7en

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:16:22 AM »
OPs post defines 'irrelevancy' to a T.

agierke

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
i'm not sure of the point of your post. i'm also not really sure you have a good understanding of what a professional photographer does and why they do it.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »
And I thought I was bored already today... Sorry, but this is pointless.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Noink Fanb0i

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »
Uh, no, PJs and sports photogs would disagree with you there. And I shoot with those real pros on a fairly regular basis.
T3 is the bobn2 of Canon fanb0is.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
And I thought I was bored already today... Sorry, but this is pointless.

+1 .. but it's not even pointless, it's wrong - for me, shooting raw does *reduce* workload because it increases the percentage of usable shots and decreases the post-processing workload because it's easier to correct pictures (dynamic range, color temperature, ...)

Uh, no, PJs and sports photogs would disagree with you there. And I shoot with those real pros on a fairly regular basis.

If you're talking about shooting raw or jpeg - why's that? Of course raw fills the buffer faster and thousands of raw pictures don't fit on a memory card that easily and due to larger data size might be slower to copy - but other than that? I was talking about workload, not the ability to shoot as many pictures as possible.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 11:55:26 AM »
You can always reconsider. :)

yunusoglu

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
Let me explain how I arrived at my decision, after carefully considering and evaluating all the initial reviews and sample pictures I've seen from the D800 on the various websites.

And you cancelled your D800 pre-order? Are you sure you were checking out the right reviews and samples?

PhotoCat

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »
At the D200 time there was no DXOmark nor there was Exmor sensor from Sony.
What do u expect a Nikon marketing guy would do?  Bluff...  of course...

Unfortunately, the Nikon picture is vy different now with Sony backing them up with Exmor backlit sensors!

Don't get me wrong, I am a Canon fans but really wish 5d3 had a D800 sensor!

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 02:23:17 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I am a Canon fans but really wish 5d3 had a D800 sensor!
Now that would be a great camera for me!

rafaelsynths

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »
Reading the replies saved me from wasting my time reading a chuck of characters.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
Thanks for your post Noink...  Dont let others bother you...  I've been "digital" and a shooting pro since the D60 day and the D1x days...  I understand what you mean in your comparisons and the raw/jpeg thing... I know people on both sides of the isle... the raw only guys and the jpeg are enough guys...  Personally I think the raws take too much time in processing and avoid it except when I know it's a high end client who is using it for print, or when I know at the time of shooting this could be good enough to go into my professional portfolio, but otherwise if I dont need raw, screw it... jpegs are faster shooting and post production workflow, for me.  Other "pros" who shoot raw, either have no life because they are constantly processing and tweaking and such, or simply they outsource... whether it be they hire an "assistant" who does nothing to assists and processes raws all day long and catalogs them or they send files to a 3rd party guy who does it and all the photoshop work and send them the corrected files.  Other pro's like me who shoot a mix do their own when need it but dont sweat the small stuff.  I agree the D800, while it has an incredible sensor, will undoubtedly lead to more PS work, which for pro's, means more assistants or more outsourcing which means more cost to them which means lower profit margin... Sometimes it matters, sometimes not...  as for me I never had issue with the 5d2 IQ so why would I be bothered if the 5d3 is ONLY a margin better?  Plus undertaking more PS work just to get the punch of the 5d3, to me and my business, is unacceptable.  The d800 is a great camera and I applaud Nikon, but in the end, it is what it is. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 04:01:18 PM »
I know plenty of pros who use RAW and don't (can't afford to) outsource their work. The main difference is in what they shoot and how much PP they're willing to do. Nature photographers mostly shoot RAW (there are some exceptions), but they don't tend to have the large number of shots per shoot that PJs may have, also, because they are (usually) looking for more reality than fine art, they do just enough PP to make the image look good and don't bother with the lesser quality images that they may have taken while exploring the subject, trying to get the final product. I know of one pro, who will spend 2-3 hours on a single subject, taking images every few minutes until he finds the composition he was looking for. In those few hours, he probably has less than 20 images, compare that to a PJ in a few minutes when something newsworthy happens and there is a complete disparity in the number of images.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »
THANK YOU!

maybe I'll get yours now that one less person is in line waiting
 ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 04:09:24 PM »