Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

30p and shutter speed- 1/30 or 1/60 and why?

(1/3) > >>

Waterdonkey:
I'll be shooting video with my new 5D III and I keep reading that I should double the frames per second
30p/25p/24p to get the proper shutter speed:  30p->1/60 25p->1/50(PAL) and 24p->1/50 (closest speed).

SO my question is why and  that I might better understand, what is the logic behind this?

Shooting 1080/30p I find that shutter speeds over 1/60 look very Jittery and I know that that can be used as an effect or look. I guess I find 1/60 a little jittery as well, so I windup shooting at 1/30- am I making a mistake?

bluegreenturtle:
In short, yes, never shoot at less than double the frame rate, because you're creating a look that no mechanical film camera could do by keeping the shutter open that long.   I came from the feature film world and when I started shooting with dslrs (I only do video - no stills) it seemed clear to me.  But I worked with a lot of people who were essentially stills photographers and trying out their nifty new features on their 5Dmk IIs and they weren't getting it (and ruining some footage as a result).  Photographers are used to thinking of the shutter speed as a way to let in more light or stop movement - obviously when you're working with motion pictures the shutter has a different concept as you never are stopping motion, and we can't drop our shutter slower to let in more light or it gives an unnatural and unpleasing look/effect.  Which is why videographers are so enamored with their fast primes. 

Instead of trying to ape it out I'll just give you a link:

http://tylerginter.com/post/11480534977/180-degree-shutter-learn-it-live-it-love-it

Waterdonkey:
bluegreenturtle Thanks for the link.
So let me see if I understand... when shooting 1080 30p @ 1/30 I'm in effect smudging the picture?

You see I'm a TV camera man I shoot on the station's Sony XDCAM-HD 1080 60I (soon to be laid off, now getting work with 5Dm III), I'm coming at this from a video point of view. When we add shutter speed the video my TV Eye sees jitter and we will add this for effect or to be better able to slowmo in post.  I should just let the "Jitters" go and I'll get crisper video, yes?

Thanks again

NormanBates:
the 180ยบ rule is important, but flicker will absolutely ruin a shot, so you can apply it just approximately if it helps you avoid flicker
http://www.similaar.com/foto/tuten/630.html

and I'll add: why 30p?
http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-technology/interviews/?articleId=3213230

Jedifarce:

--- Quote from: Waterdonkey on March 31, 2012, 12:19:15 PM ---
Shooting 1080/30p I find that shutter speeds over 1/60 look very Jittery and I know that that can be used as an effect or look. I guess I find 1/60 a little jittery as well, so I windup shooting at 1/30- am I making a mistake?

--- End quote ---

Unless you're desperate for light you probably shouldn't be setting your shutter speed that low. However, Shane Hurlbut the cinematographer for Act of Valor,  at 30p he never uses 1/60 because it makes the footage appear like "video" so he suggests using either 1/40 or 1/50 to maintain a filmic look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version