October 31, 2014, 05:40:59 PM

Author Topic: Lloyd Chambers Review of 5d3  (Read 5140 times)

jaduffy007

Lloyd Chambers Review of 5d3
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »
Lloyd asked that I take down the copy/paste of parts of his review.

I have done so and locked the thread.

Cheers
CR

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:59:58 AM by Canon Rumors »

canon rumors FORUM

Lloyd Chambers Review of 5d3
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:20:09 PM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
Re: Lloyd Chambers Review of 5d3
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:10 PM »
I have to say, I disagree with him.

EvilTed

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
I prefer Ken Rockwell to Llyod Chambers anyday...  :P

Where is the review?
I have to pay to read it?

ET

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 12:55:16 PM »
Possibly another old school guy who doesn't know how to use new tech. If he wanted images to be more accurate for static subjects including his zeiss lens he would have used spot focus. Who knows if he did but its interesting.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

riogrande100

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »
Watched the Digitalrev hands on review and comparison to the D800 so far it appears the Mark III is an all round better camera, better video. However the Nikon has the resolution. Kai who is seen as a Nikon fanboy prefers the 5D over the D800!

And can someone please tell me how people prefer the Nex over any other camera system model based on Sensor alone? As with the exception of the Zeiss 24, none of the other lenses are good enough on that system. In fact the sensot out resolves all the kit lenses, and the micro lenses on the sensor does not play well with many legacy lenses!

Which leaves me asking this question how do so many people talk bout the Nex series and forgetting the lenses they have!

I have a Nex5n and whilst the camera is great the lenses are poor, and big! Prefer M43 for my small take everywhere camera!

I will probably pick up Mark III later this year say August especially if video work picks up!

yunusoglu

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
Anything negative about the 5D3 will be smited in this forum where Canon fanboys seem to visit frequently. So, I don't think anyone should bother to post such stuff...

EvilTed

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »
I really don't care what ends up being declared the winner eventually.
You have to pick whats best for you and your style of photography.

As a 7 year Nikon user who switched to Canon with the 5D MK3 purchase (on a pre-order I might add), I have to say I'm enjoying the system a lot.

What people jumping the other way are going to find is that all the best Nikon lenses are sold out and on near permanent backorder.
The only way to get them was to pay $300 - $500 markups by gougers on Amazon or Ebay.
This was the biggest problem with Nikon before the success of the D800 and I'm sure it has got worse...

ET

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »

Astro

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 02:16:40 PM »
if you qoute someone... post a link to the original. it´s netiquette.

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »
I have to say I agree with him....

Lloyd:

Conclusions

Link?

marcosv

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »

What I like about his reviews is that he expresses his opinion in enough detail that I can easily discount things I don't agree with given my personal preferences.  What I dislike about his reviews is that his pay wall is too expensive per year. 

His review is on-going, but, he seems to have settled down in his opinions pretty quickly; to me that reflects his personal preferences more than his ability to adapt to what a camera can do.  Nothing wrong with that, but, it is definitely another reason not to look at his review as definitive.

http://diglloyd.com/index-dap.html#Canon5DM3

I'm waiting for dpreview's review.  I like their number crunching a lot better than DXO.

As for the 5D3, I decided to not return it.  So now I'm looking forward to reading up from fellow users how to get around its flaws.  So far, aside from price, it has been less frustrating than dealing with the 5D2.

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 02:58:55 PM »
The Autofocus is far better.( If its worth 1000 Dollar/Euro more, I don`t know.)
Now I am able to make an almost 100% of keepers regarding "focused correct" without the hated "Focus and recompose", if the subject of desired sharpness is not in the centre.
My pictures are very satisfiing, sharpness (using the Raw Converter 6.7rc on CS5) they are clean, no sensations, but also no complainst, so I don`t understand this review.
1D MKIV, 5DMk III, lot of lenses, flashes etc
Fuji X100s, Sony RX100 III

prestonpalmer

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
Lets face it, Canon COULD have done better with the 5D3.  Ive been playing with mine for more than a week now, and I am seeing maybe .5 to 1 stop improvement in the sensor over the 5D2.  Don't get me wrong, the 5D3 is a great camera.  I would agree with some others though, that Nikon has produced a more revolutionary upgrade this time around.  As a professional wedding photographer, I don't need more than 22MP.  And all I ever wanted that my 5D2 did not have, was better AF, better high ISO performance, a dual card slot, and better video features.  The 5D3 has all of that and more. So I am not complaining.  I do however, expect Canon to step it up in the next round and produce something that really WOW's us. 

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
Even if the D800 can produce a better picture, which my guess is that it will, It would probably only produce a better photo with a top quality lens running at f/4-f/8 at iso 400 and less and will require faster shutter speeds. For the rest of us who often shoot wide open or at iso ranges from 400+, I doubt there will be a large difference. Unfortunately large sensors have obvious downfalls from huge file sizes, slow shooting speeds and slightly reduced low light performance. I love the Mark III because it is an all around solid performer. While the D800 might best the Mark III for some purposes, namely landscapes & some studio, there is no other camera i'd prefer to tackle the variety of situations I find myself photographing.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 03:20:45 PM »
Where is this noise at iso 100 everyone seems to talk about??
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
Lets face it, Canon COULD have done better with the 5D3.  Ive been playing with mine for more than a week now, and I am seeing maybe .5 to 1 stop improvement in the sensor over the 5D2.  Don't get me wrong, the 5D3 is a great camera.  I would agree with some others though, that Nikon has produced a more revolutionary upgrade this time around.  As a professional wedding photographer, I don't need more than 22MP.  And all I ever wanted that my 5D2 did not have, was better AF, better high ISO performance, a dual card slot, and better video features.  The 5D3 has all of that and more. So I am not complaining.  I do however, expect Canon to step it up in the next round and produce something that really WOW's us.
If Canon does a d800 like camera i hope their buffer is better than the d800 since it takes forever to write 70+mg Raw files to a card.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »