October 25, 2014, 06:38:42 AM

Author Topic: Really Right Stuff L-Plate 5D3  (Read 8416 times)

Mike Miami

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Really Right Stuff L-Plate 5D3
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:40 PM »
Not liking the look of the Really Right Stuff L-Plate for the 5D3. The large gap on the cable connection side doesnt look very good to me.  Anyone agree?   I'm sure its necessary but I still dont like the look.http://reallyrightstuff.com/mmRRSNET/Images/gallery/B5D3L-rear.png

canon rumors FORUM

Really Right Stuff L-Plate 5D3
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:48:40 PM »

nehemiah

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Really Right Stuff L-Plate 5D3
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:25:14 PM »
I've already pre-ordered my L-plate and will still need it -- but with the cost of that thing about $170 or so (just ballpark, don't remember exact figure), do you think just a battery grip is a better way to go?  Of course they have different functions, but both allow you to do the horizontal/vertical easier.

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
I must admit I'm not a fan of that gap either.

nehemiah, I'm not sure I completely understand you. The battery grip makes it easier to shoot in portrait mode when handheld or otherwise - the L plate allows you to mount the camera on a tripod in portrait orientation. If you want to mount a gripped camera on a tripod in portrait orientation, you're going to need an L bracket all the same.

nehemiah

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »
I was assuming that one could get a quick release plate that fits the RRS ballhead for both portrait/landscape orientations (one for each end).  However, I think you must be right that we would still need the L-plate with the battery grip.  Thanks.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
I agree - that gap is annoying. For other bodies, some RRS models have such a gap, whereas the Kirk equivalent does not. Worth a look...

I was assuming that one could get a quick release plate that fits the RRS ballhead for both portrait/landscape orientations (one for each end).  However, I think you must be right that we would still need the L-plate with the battery grip.  Thanks.

Still sounds like you may be a bit confused.  There's only one tripod mount socket to attach a QR plate to the camera, and that's on the bottom, with or without grip.  If you have a standard plate on the bottom, that's landscape and the only way to get portrait is to rotate the ball of the ballhead 90 degrees and drop the stem into the slot. That works, but doesn't give optimal balance.  The only way to get a plate on the side of the camera is if that side plate is attached to the bottom plate - that makes for an L shape...thus, the L-bracket.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mike Miami

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:30:12 PM »
I agree - that gap is annoying. For other bodies, some RRS models have such a gap, whereas the Kirk equivalent does not. Worth a look...

I cant seem to find a photo of the Kirk L-plate. Have you seen one?  If so, where?  Thanks!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »
I cant seem to find a photo of the Kirk L-plate. Have you seen one?  If so, where?  Thanks!

No, not for the 5DIII.  Probably not ready yet...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »

Mike Miami

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
Thanks neuroanatomist , i'll wait til I see the Kirk version before ordering from RRS.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 03:07:40 AM »
I preordered before i saw what it looked like  :'(
APS-H Fanboy

AUGS

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:49:52 AM »
Mine is on pre-order, and hope to get it soon.  I don't mind the gap as shown above.  My 7D l-plate doesn't have the gap, but to use the camera in portrait orientation, I have to loosen the mounting screw and slide the l-plate about 5mm "IF" I want to use a remote trigger.  This means I have to carry the allen key.
As shown in the other view orientations of the 5D3 l-plate, the gap means there is no need for any l-plate adjustment when using a remote trigger.  I think they have thought this through quite well.
I'm sure I recall seeing an image that showed the port cover being able to rotate through the gap to stop it being pinched or caught up in the clamp too (maybe they updated their images with the laser etched versions), so I thought it was a functional gap.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »
I investigated the gap prior to my pre-order (I was told end of April) but if it gives the cable more space then I am good with it. My 40D L-bracket needed to be moved away from the body a fair bit for a cable release to fit properly.  BTW, I use mine without a grip as it makes things too bulky for my taste.
An added bonus of L-brackets is they protect the camera body on the two most exposed sides of the body.

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
The Kirk L-bracket is out and they will be shipping one out to me tomorrow.  Ordered it last Wednesday. 

To me the Kirk plate looks a bit better and I've never had problems with the trigger remote connector on my other two Kirk L-brackets ( one for my 7D and another I had for my 5D MK II).

I also pre ordered the RRS L-Bracket for the 5d MK III, however, Mr. Joe J who I spoke to today said that I am still in the middle of the list to receive the bracket.  And that's that I ordered in on April 5th.  I think RRS has a production shortage...they need to better prepare for market demand.  It was like this for the TVC-23 tripod I ordered...had to cancel because I got tired of waiting and found a great deal on a Gitzo GT2830 tripod instead...saved over $700.

The only reason I considered the RRS plate was because I had just purchased a RRS BH-30 ball head with the QR lever clamp.  However, I was able to get a used BH-40 with a pro screw clamp for about the same money as the BH-30.  Needless to say, I'm trying to sell the BH-30, so I have no more lever clamps to worry about.   
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »
The Kirk L-bracket is out and they will be shipping one out to me tomorrow.  Ordered it last Wednesday. 
~snip~

I also pre ordered the RRS L-Bracket for the 5d MK III...
Why would you purchase both the Kirk and the RRS L-Brackets? My RRS L-bracket is in transit to me in Canada but I have decided to reject the shipment when it arrives given all the bad press it has been getting around here and other forums.
I too really like the fit, on paper at least, of the Kirk but I have decided to wait until there are confirmed reports of a nice fit rather than being an early adopter. I look forward to hearing what you think about the Kirk L-bracket when it arrives.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 11:41:58 PM »
~snip~

I also pre ordered the RRS L-Bracket for the 5d MK III...
Why would you purchase both the Kirk and the RRS L-Brackets? My RRS L-bracket is in transit to me in Canada but I have decided to reject the shipment when it arrives given all the bad press it has been getting around here and other forums.
I too really like the fit, on paper at least, of the Kirk but I have decided to wait until there are confirmed reports of a nice fit rather than being an early adopter. I look forward to hearing what you think about the Kirk L-bracket when it arrives.

Well...I placed an order for the RRS L-bracket a month ago now and they told me then two weeks to receive it.  Called today and I'm half-way on the list...so doubt I will get it before the end of May.  I'm missing having an L-bracket so decided to check with Kirk and they seem to have better supply chain or something, plus it only take a few days to arrive at my door; whereas it takes a week to get here from CA. 

Me thinks I will be canceling the RRS L-bracket order.

I will update with my findings of the Kirk plate once I have it in hand (early next week).

Regards,
Jason
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

rsk7

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • riverstep photography
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »
I got my RRS L-Plate for the 5D3 yesterday and am extremely happy with it.

The only thing I see that is substantially different between the two is the Kirk plate can be slid to the left to increase the spacing between the left side of the body and the bracket if for some reason you need more there. The bottom plate on the RRS goes all the way across the bottom to the battery door where the Kirk bottom plate looks shorter. Looks to me like the RRS is going to give you a firmer, more solid mount to the camera than the Kirk. With the shorter bottom plate I would be a bit concerned sliding the bracket to the left to increase that gap on the left and then putting some heavy/heavier glass on it that I've got a solid connection between the body and the bracket. The solid bottom plate of the RRS is also going to protect the bottom of the camera body but that can be a negative too as gunk that might get in there is going to have a hard time getting out.

What gap are you guys talking about with it that is a cause for concern? The bottom left corner? I could care less about that. It isn't significant functionally or that diff from the Kirk as far as I can tell.

Oh yeah. I ordered mine mid-March(18th?) and got it yesterday.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:44:49 AM by rsk7 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »