June 19, 2018, 08:31:17 PM

Author Topic: Comparing my 60d with my new 5d3 not seeing much of a difference.  (Read 25452 times)

smirkypants

Re: Comparing my 60d with my new 5d3 not seeing much of a difference.
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
finally I can boost the iso comfortably and reduce the noise in lightroom and get shots  that the 60d physically is incapable of unless I bring in more light like a speedlite which I try to avoid. I like natural light photo's.

When you use a flash skilfully, the light IS natural. 99% of people who claim to dislike flash just don't know how to use it. Adding light to a scene is one of the single most important skills you can learn as a photographer. Ever see the lights and reflectors on a Hollywood production? Do you think films would look better if they only used available light?

Just don't point the flash at the subject. And don't point it straight up either. Point it up and behind you, over your shoulder, and use walls and ceilings as a giant soft box. Wonderful things can happen!
Amen, brother. If your flash photos look like crap, you're not doing it right and you need to pick up a copy of the Speedliter's Handbook.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »
Amen, brother. If your flash photos look like crap, you're not doing it right and you need to pick up a copy of the Speedliter's Handbook.

Totally agree - that is why I so rarely shoot above 400iso

Taken in dark hall - 2 flash

KKCFamilyman

• EOS 7D Mark II
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »
Yeah thats sound advice. I think i will get that book. Nice pic of the dog. I just don't like the colors being overblown with a speedlite. I also don't have the house for setting up multiple speedlite's because my kids would move or destroy them and it would just feel like a photo shoot. I just was thinking if the 5d3 was worth the extra $2100 for me or to just get another zoom like 70-200 f4is and a prime and work more on technique. I just love the extra edge the 5d has and it just feels so much better built. The af system is easier for my to hone in on a little face than te 60d. But thats not reason enough to spend $2100.

kballweg

« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »
I have both, with the 60D destined to be my backup and lightweight street shooting body. The newer sensor EOS consumer bodies, the 7D/60D/600D/550D, are (as DRJLO pointed out) amazingly good; good enough that I think you shouldn't be able to see massive differences between casual shots. But...

My first day of shooting with Mk3 was disappointing until I started cropping in LR, and realized how small I could crop  and still have it be sharper than the 60D un-cropped. I suspect a lot of "softness" people are complaining of on other threads is buyer's remorse from people who started with unrealistic expectation, and are talking first impressions without sorting all the variables. Like the fact that yesterday was a crap overcast day, and I wouldn't even have bothered taking the 60D out in such conditions, so no magical landscapes for me.

I love my 60D but the key differences that jumped out are how fast the Mk3 grabs focus, how "big" the images are with a minimal jump from the resolution my work flow is geared to, and how flexible the control layout is compared to the 60D (and I'm still learning the Mk3). That's a pocket full of nice for a first quick look.

NotABunny

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2012, 02:37:17 PM »
Nice pic of the dog. I just don't like the colors being overblown with a speedlite.

I feel similarly. While the dog shot is crisp, it screams moodless artificial light. The blue tint (especially in the eye) is particularly revolting my senses. The falloff of the light in the background is amplifying the artificial light look.

Using the on-camera flash is an art in itself.

unkbob

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2012, 02:52:52 PM »
I also don't have the house for setting up multiple speedlite's because my kids would move or destroy them and it would just feel like a photo shoot.

No, use one flash and keep it on your camera. Swivel the head. That's all you need. You don't even need a $400 model, you can buy a Yongnuo for a fraction of that and it will perform in much the same way.

nitsujwalker

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »
I just picked up a 5d mkii (had a 7d) and I must say the difference is outstanding...  Hugely noticeable.  No longer do I need to avoid high ISOs.  I'm really excited.  On 7d, which from my understanding has the same sensor as the 60d (someone correct me if i'm wrong), I didn't like to shoot above 1600 or above 800 if I was shooting anything with fine detail.  But on the 5d mkii I can happily shoot at 3200 and lose very little detail.  If you don't notice a difference between the 60d and the 5d mkiii, then there is an issue! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »

unkbob

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
@unkbob, love the shots.  The second one looks like a promo shot from a cruise line (in a good way).  :)

Ha! Thanks :) Yeah it's a cheesy shot but it was natural and spur of the moment so I like it despite the cheese.

FWIW The little girl dancing was shot at ISO 1600, the other two were ISO 3200, all on 5D2. Of course the higher the ISO, the more powerful the flash becomes, which opens up some real possibilities with the mark iii and bounced flash.

NotABunny

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
FWIW The little girl dancing was shot at ISO 1600, the other two were ISO 3200, all on 5D2. Of course the higher the ISO, the more powerful the flash becomes, which opens up some real possibilities with the mark iii and bounced flash.

Have you used some color gels / filters (for the first two shots)?

unkbob

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »

Have you used some color gels / filters (for the first two shots)?

I often use CTO gels so the flash light is not too cold compared to the ambient light, but I don't use other colours. Can't remember for sure what I used here but I probably had 1/4 or 1/2 CTO on the flash. The funky colours in the background are the DJ lights.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »