June 21, 2018, 01:02:31 AM

Author Topic: Canon hurry up! Nikon's face-detection & Sony's Exmor sensors are killing us!  (Read 26716 times)

D.Sim

well EXMOR is not EXMOR R.

the sensor in the D800 is not backlit.

EXMOR:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/cmos_01.html

EXMOR R:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/exmor_r_01.html

I can't believe D800's sensor is not backlit, seeing its high ISO score on DXOmark...
When 36MEG is scaled down to 8x12, or 8MEG, its noise performance is vy close to D3S.

Well, Canon has to double hurry up, if Sony can achieve this kind of ISO without backlit technology.
Astro, do u have a reference quoting D800 is not using a backlit sensor? Tks!

Uh, do you have a refernece quoting that it IS?

since when do you get proof that something is not? Just because you can't believe that its not backlit...

Also: DxO mark? lol.

I do have a question though: What type of portraits are you shooting, that you need a face detection focus aid to shoot?

canon rumors FORUM

RyanDavis200

Wow PhotCat... Calm down.. deep breaths.  You need face detection to take professional quality photos?  You don't want to take a test shot?  You expect the camera with it's 56,000 ISO and face detection to replace photographic skills?  It really saddens me to see the way photography is going this way. Everyone is a photographer now a days.  All because of the technology. 

As many others have said, work on your trade a bit more.   I'd be interested in seeing your portfolio... do you have a link?

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
and I thought it was just sweep panoramas that were owning us...
APS-H Fanboy

ippikiokami

Have you ever used this fd mode in the d800 yet? I wonder why since it's such a killer function no review i've read really has mentioned it?

I really hate to advertise for Nikon but here it is:

http://scottkelby.com/2012/cliff-mautner-on-the-nikon-d800/

CTRL-f  for "face"

Read the article and the comments as well & use your own judgment since the word "Review" is not on the article!

Good job pointing out a review that's done by someone who was paid to shoot the campaign. Not biased at all

Seriously though.. If you haven't even tried the feature out. It's kinda amazing to deem it the killer app. If it's a focusing algorithm and it turns out to be useful you really think Canon won't make something similar?

leGreve

• EOS 80D
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • OmniFilm DK
Actually today, april 2nd, Sony will put both the MK III and the C300 in a coffin, nail is shut and sink the coffin into concrete...

So hold off your MK III purchases if you're buying it for video. Once the FS700 is announced it will slightly lower the price of the FS100, it will kill the 5D MK II and it will look at the C300 and spit it in the face.

Key features:

- Success in ramping slow to almost 1000fps
- maybe maybe 4:2:2 through the 3G-SDI output
- Build-in ND filters (3...)
- a silly low price point at 8.000 dollars...
- Form factor like FS100

This will be a stellar cam that nothing in that price range can compete with.

leGreve

• EOS 80D
    • OmniFilm DK
And here we are :D

Take care MK III and C300

DavidRiesenberg

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • David Riesenberg
It is going to be a great cam but 9K doesn't seems to get you 4K. That will probably be a paid upgrade.

canon rumors FORUM

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M5
Actually today, april 2nd, Sony will put both the MK III and the C300 in a coffin, nail is shut and sink the coffin into concrete...

So hold off your MK III purchases if you're buying it for video. Once the FS700 is announced it will slightly lower the price of the FS100, it will kill the 5D MK II and it will look at the C300 and spit it in the face.

Key features:

- Form factor like FS100

And this has what exactly to do with the OP?

leGreve

• EOS 80D
    • OmniFilm DK

Key features:

- Form factor like FS100

And this has what exactly to do with the OP?

It has the Exmor sensor.... just face the facts and leave your fanboism behind. Note that I have a Canon kit that now will reside at its rightful place... a still cam.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M5
what fanboism?  Your talking about a video camera, OOP was talking about face recognition on a camera for stills.  The OP was NOT talking about videos. READ THE POST!  The clue is the talk of Flash.  What videos do you use flash with?

mike_zawadzki

Oh no I'm dying!!! Aughhhh!!

I switched to Canon from Nikon recently and trust me gimmicks like this (e.g. "3D Tracking") never work as well as originally intended and honestly aren't that important. LOL

If you are really this wet over the D800 why don't you switch? I'm tired of hearing the "BUT IM SO INVESTED IN CANON GLASS" bs. I just swapped out my Nikon 24-70, 14-24, 70-200, 50 1.4, 135 2, and 105 micro VR at virtually no loss. If anything the glass is the easiest part to swap because it maintains value the most. Seriously instead of crying here, just switch. Both systems are great and you would become such a better photographer with face detect AF.

Seriously I feel bad for the bride that gets you, if you can't make a reasonable guess at an indoor bounce flash exposure.

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II
Ah yes. Buy more important, the letter on the 5Dmk3 is primitive as hell. Even the most basic Nikon dslr metters color. Only the 1DX does this. A real crippling by canon on the 5D3.

KeithR

Ah yes. Buy more important, the meter on the 5Dmk3 is primitive as hell. Even the most basic Nikon dslr meters color. Only the 1DX does this. A real crippling by canon on the 5D3.

That's a lot of crap right there.

canon rumors FORUM

cps_user

if can't expose properly without a function like this, then you shouldn't call yourself a professional (wedding) photographer.

If you claim you are a professional and you do need this, just get the 1dx.

psolberg

• EOS 7D Mark II

well EXMOR is not EXMOR R.

the sensor in the D800 is not backlit.

EXMOR:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/cmos_01.html

EXMOR R:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/technology/technology/theme/exmor_r_01.html

I can't believe D800's sensor is not backlit, seeing its high ISO score on DXOmark...
When 36MEG is scaled down to 8x12, or 8MEG, its noise performance is vy close to D3S.

Well, Canon has to double hurry up, if Sony can achieve this kind of ISO without backlit technology.
Astro, do u have a reference quoting D800 is not using a backlit sensor? Tks!

You have to take DXO data with a grain of salt, and since the advent of D800 print DR results, you have to be EXTREMELY skeptical about it. You also have to realize that "Print DR" is an image that has had post processing. We don't know exactly what DXO is doing to those images, but the idea that you can magically gain additional DR above and beyond what the senor itself is capable of (which is what their Screen DR rating is representative of) is extremely fishy.

Riddle me this: If the D800 SENSOR itself is capable of 13.23 stops of DR, and the scene you are trying to expose has 14.4 stops of DR...will you be able to capture the full scene DR in a single shot? The obvious answer is no. The sensor is only capable of 13.23 stops of DR, and trying to expose all 14.4 stops in one shot is going to either blow highlights or block shadows. There is also the simple math problem. A 14-bit sensor is a 14-stop sensor...you would have to go to at least a 15-bit sensor to achieve more than 14.0 stops of native DR with the sensor itself.

The D800 is NOT as amazing as it sounds, and referring to it as "unbelievable" would be about as accurate an exclamation you can get...it literally is unbelievable. The Canon 1D IV has 11.46 stops of DR. The difference between the D800 and the 1D IV is 1.77 stops, or roughly 1 2/3rds of a stop, of dynamic range. Not 2 stops, not 3 stops. The physical hardware differences are far more moderated than DXO, of whom Nikon is a paying customer and Canon is not, would like you to think.

Print DR == BIIIG Grain of Salt (or a big TUB of salt, whichever tickles your fancy...just make sure you really salt it good.)

wrong. it is all about how you quantize the measurement and what scale you use. They don't have to use a linear scale either.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=4747.120

you can stretch the 14 bits easily to cover more tonal ranges and since the lower bits are usually just pointless random noise, there is still headroom which is why the D800 is so stellar DR wise. I agree that eventually we'll go to 15 or  16 bits once cameras start pushing far beyond 14stops. But the DR of the D800 at base ISO of 14.4 stops as reported by DXO is absolutely amazing regardless, even if it was just 14.0 stops. To correct your point, the difference between the D800 and the 1D4 is over two stops. not trivial at all.

let's stop the famboysm and recognize that nikon has created an amazing sensor and hope canon can match it. instead of whining we should be excited to have canon follow eventually. I'm sure if it had been canon that did this, we'd be all singing praises to DXO and how they are so accurate.

canon rumors FORUM