December 14, 2017, 07:40:04 PM

Poll

Is the GPS receiver for the 5D3 worth the money, and trouble?

I AM getting or will get the GP-E2 GPS unit.
I am NOT get the GP-E2 GPS unit.
I would pay an additional $30 for a camera if the GPS unit was built in.
GPS is metadata is worthless.

Author Topic: Canon 5D3+GPS Receiver? VOTE!  (Read 7004 times)

prestonpalmer

Re: Canon 5D3+GPS Receiver? VOTE!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
Exactly... Annoying. I still bought it, but annoying.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 05:27:07 PM »
Places where GPS data in the metadata would be very, VERY nice. 

One reason I got for wanting a Nikon back when I originally bought my Canon was the (missing) gps port. But today, I see why Canon never bothered about it in the past: I've got a 40€ external, precise gps logger that runs 48 hours with one battery charge, put it in my pocket an then forget about it. Afterwards I extract the tracklog and attach it to the files including additional geolocation metadata. Works for me, doesn't drain my camera battery and is always available without any delay when I turn on my camera.

The one thing that is better on an in-/on-camera gps solution is that it can detect the direction and even inclination of the camera.

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M5
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
I'm annoyed because it goes where the flash or flash transceiver goes. You have to choose between them. Even on the 1Dx you have to choose....no combination unit.

I'm a little disappointed to hear to wedding photographers say it has no use. I'd agree it has no use for them, but if the customer gets any kind of digital copy that could contain that information, then it has what they, children, grandchildren, and anyone else interested would need to go back to that spot.  We have all read or heard of the stories of grandchildren going over seas and trying to find the spot where the photo was taken and only find it after tremendous effort (admittedly I think the effort is what makes the story), or they never find it....perhaps the town is even gone. With a geotagged picture, locations never need to be lost again.  The downside is your competitors might find that great spot of yours, but that always happens eventually.

I can't agree that there are any technical limitations that would either prevent integration or require the cost be so high. Once all cell phones were required to have it, the price fell dramatically. The original price was already under $5 cost per unit (that was to the end user), its supposedly is under a dollar now, but I can't find confirmation of that. I can't imagine there would have been less complaints for 3504.99 vs 3499.99, other than than maybe the psychology of break the 35xx barrier.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 06:12:50 PM »
What if it cost an extra $100 - $200 to put GPS in the camera?

And then there's the extra drain on battery power.

They can't use part of the body as it is made from a single piece of metal (no joins.) To just use part of it would mean weakening the body.

I'm more than happy to have a separate GPS in my backpage/camera bag, stuffed into a corner.

It is assumed that you could turn the GPS off to conserve battery.  Dillbert, What GPS receiver/logger are you using?  What does it cost?  How do you sync the GPS data with the metadata, and how close are those points given time differences in camera clock and GPS clock?

prestonpalmer

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
What if it cost an extra $100 - $200 to put GPS in the camera?

I can only speak for myself here, but I would pay an extra $200 for an IN camera GPS.  I am likely the minorty on that though.

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »
How do you sync the GPS data with the metadata, and how close are those points given time differences in camera clock and GPS clock?

Use Geosetter or Lightroom 4 - the camera/gps clock sync is extremely precise, and you can get a better gps unit with shorter logging intervals so even every turn of a fast moving car is logged just fine.

prestonpalmer

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
How do you sync the GPS data with the metadata, and how close are those points given time differences in camera clock and GPS clock?

Use Geosetter or Lightroom 4 - the camera/gps clock sync is extremely precise, and you can get a better gps unit with shorter logging intervals so even every turn of a fast moving car is logged just fine.

Geosetter is only for Windows.  How do you sync the GPS device with the camera initially?  What GPS recorder do you use?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
How do you sync the GPS device with the camera initially?  What GPS recorder do you use?

The camera and the gps device are simply synced by clock, no initial sync necessary - which is why you have to make sure your camera clock is current, the gps device gets its clock from the satellites. Then get the gpx log file from the tracker by usb and  import it into Lightroom 4.

I've got a cheap Holux GPSport GR-245 because it has a display and also shows bike speed, distance traveled et al and allows for coordinate entry while outdoors for ad-hoc geocaching or usage with a paper map.

For photography tagging alone, get another logger without display but more precision (higher number of sats tracked = more accuracy when in your pocket or trunk), the bt747 chip is said to be very precise and power efficient.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 07:13:45 PM »
As a professional photographer, many of my travels take me overseas to remote and often desolate 3rd world countries.  Places where GPS data in the metadata would be very, VERY nice. 

Since I started shooting with my first Canon DSLR, the 10D, I thought with each revision, THIS TIME, canon will put the GPS receiver IN the camera, rather than a hot she mount that is big, expensive, cumbersome and not realistic to keep on the camera device.  So here we are, a dozen cameras later, at the 5D3, and the best we have is a $270 GPS receiver?

My thoughts... GPS Receivers are wicked small, incredibly efficient, and present in just about every single handheld device we carry.  From a financial and business perspective, I cant imagine that Canon actually sells too many of these external GPS units.  Who wants to pay for this cumbersome thing?  Instead, Canon should put this modern GPS technology directly into the camera body itself.  Marketing a new DSLR with "GPS Receiver built in!!!" would be far more attractive to buyers, and end up selling far more camera bodies, and ultimately make more money that trying to sell an external unit.  Even if they were to mark the cost of each body up by $5 (the cost of a VERY good GPS unit, the kind we find in iPhone4) They would make more money than trying to sell this GP-E2! 

I am a little frustrated that we are this far with technology with no Built in GPS. Id like your opinions!

the price is crazy, no way for me
their unit costs as much as an entire ipad practically, crazy

prestonpalmer

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 09:06:48 PM »
Exactly.  I just can't imagine that enough people are willing to buy it to even cover the cost of tooling the equipment to make it!  Seems backwards if you ask me.

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M5
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:14 AM »
There is also a nice little iphone app called gps4cam.  It will take snapshots of your location on a regular basis and then you photograph the iphone screen to capture some data which additional software will process and add GPS data to the photos.  It works well with JPG, but I keep forgetting to try it with RAW photos.

What it doesn't capture is compass direction. Not generally a big deal, but something I would love to see when trying to decipher lighting in other peoples photos. Knowing direction, location, and time, you could know exactly where the sun was in relation to the subject.

I'll see if I can get that taken care of.

dilbert, if the costs were even over $10, or if it couldn't be disabled, I wouldn't want it included. Unlike many of the software only features many complain about existing or not existing, this would be a tangible cost on every camera body. But then again, you can find this feature in "very" cheap cameras.

One option with the antenna, since that seems to be a concern to many, is to layer it just outside of the metal body. We are only talking about a thin laminate that doesn't have to be larger than a postage stamp. Another option is an external antenna (I don't like that idea either)

Or we could go in a different direction with  integrated bluetooth which could allow various accessories including 3rd party GPS, phones/tablets as screens/controllers, cellular network access, and 3rd party network devices. I'm not holding my breath on this one either.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:14 AM »