July 31, 2014, 02:48:25 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III - AF Servo field test ... with some action [pics!]  (Read 12147 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Canon 5D Mark III - AF Servo field test ... with some action [pics!]
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »
I see what you saying, but I don't think the same results would be achieved by a complete beginner regardless of what camera they used.

Maybe since I am not a complete beginner anymore I cannot imagine how it was back then - but shooting action seems like getting the right angle (which indeed does require some photographic knowledge), switch on servo af and juggle with some settings, shoot tons of pictures and then crop/sort later? But the postprocessing done by the op is certainly nice, I was just wondering about how much skill or experience it really takes to get these shots with the 5d3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »
I imagine if someone gave a beginner a 5D with the proper settings and put them in the right position before telling them to shoot, they might be able to pull it off. The tech is making it easier, but you still can't buy skill ;)

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
AF is amazing .. even when AI Servo and AI Focus were set with extreme lateral focus points  ;)

All photos were taken with 5D Mark III with 70-200/2.8 L

you have done pretty cool shots, man!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:32:49 PM by nikkito »
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

piotr.c

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
I imagine if someone gave a beginner a 5D with the proper settings and put them in the right position before telling them to shoot, they might be able to pull it off. The tech is making it easier, but you still can't buy skill ;)

Phorography is my hobby for over 15 years (half of my life). People are saying I'm quite qood at this  ::) All I do all the time while shooting is thinking about what is going to happen in next 2-3 seconds. I try to predict action and capture best moments on my photos ;) It doesn't really matters if I shoot wedding, sports or streetphotography (my favorite!) - rules are the same, only conditions change ;)

The camera itself is just a tool, it should not restrict me any way. With good AF and fast shutter I can focus myself on action. Those photos are 100% frames (with few exceptions). I guess photos are looking nice because I didn't have to fight with camera while shooting ;)

PS. "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough" ... there is nothing more to say ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:57:15 PM by piotr.c »

Wideopen

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2012, 05:50:40 PM »
Very nice! I have yet to test mines  :-\

bdeutsch

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Family Photos
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »
Nice shots.  Thanks for posting.  I'm still reading all the reviews trying to decide if the upgrade is worth it.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos

D_Rochat

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »

Phorography is my hobby for over 15 years (half of my life). People are saying I'm quite qood at this  ::) All I do all the time while shooting is thinking about what is going to happen in next 2-3 seconds. I try to predict action and capture best moments on my photos ;) It doesn't really matters if I shoot wedding, sports or streetphotography (my favorite!) - rules are the same, only conditions change ;)

The camera itself is just a tool, it should not restrict me any way. With good AF and fast shutter I can focus myself on action. Those photos are 100% frames (with few exceptions). I guess photos are looking nice because I didn't have to fight with camera while shooting ;)

PS. "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough" ... there is nothing more to say ;)

I agree 100% and that's what I meant with my posts. I think it's very clear you know what you are doing and your knowledge is what got you those images, not the camera. I may be wrong but I get the impression that you misunderstood my message and I just wanted to clear it up. Anyways, nice images and thanks for the AF examples ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »

DHL1313

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2012, 10:17:15 PM »
Nice shots, can't wait to get mine

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2012, 10:21:39 PM »
4 shots out of 12? That is not very assuring.... I hope that's not the best it can do...

Sometimes 4, sometimes 12 ... try do this with 5D2  ::)

I agree. Plus it boils down to personal preference as to what is acceptable and what is not. For instance, during the last air show I did, shooting the 7d at full 8fps, I shot 600-700 shots for 1 show. Out of those I would say 6 out of 8 images would look great at Internet/screen shot sizes.  2 out of 8 probably on that burst rate, after final edits would be good at 100% print should I need it to do so. The OP probably pulling his 4 out of 12 based off of final edits, perhaps a different photog may find more keepers in that batch, maybe another finding fewer. It's just more of a personal preference.
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »
The AF Servo on the mkIII is really spectacular!  While it is no sports, when I had the mkIII for a few days I tool some shots of my 2 year old daughter playing sliding in the park.  I will say that almost all of them were in perfect focus while she was moving (34 out of 37)!  With my mkII that number would be the opposite, that is 2-3 maybe out of the bunchwould have been in focus!

1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »