November 23, 2014, 04:43:02 PM

Author Topic: Comparing my 60d with my new 5d3 not seeing much of a difference.  (Read 12434 times)

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
I am having a hard time comparing photos at various iso's between the two in real life around the house shots any suggestions that anyone has would be great on how to test this during my return period. So far it has better color saturation and lower noise but it's still there. Maybe it's the kit lens but if so that's all I can afford right now. Ohh yeah and I do like the auto shutter speed you can set. Those who said it does not work just don't realize if the camera cannot shoot at your max set iso it will lower the shutter speed. That is a good thing. It's like people would want it not to work. Either way any good testing suggestions would be great. Also it seems like the 24-105 is really not that far of a zoom. I think if I keep it I will have to invest in a zoom before a prime.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Comparing my 60d with my new 5d3 not seeing much of a difference.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »
I am having a hard time comparing photos at various iso's between the two in real life around the house shots any suggestions that anyone has would be great on how to test this during my return period.

Watch out for flying objects in your direction :-) ... seriously: the 24-105 might be a "kit" lens, but it's a very good one - so that's not your problem. And since the 5d is not an aps-c camera with "built-in" 1.6x teleconverter, it appears much shorter on full frame. And increased iso range does not mean you can shoot with f4 in the dark expecting no noise - wait another 10-20 years for that, but by then Canon will probably be bought by Sony.

If you look at your current photographic ability and your budget, you might want to consider returning the 5d3 and get a some nice lenses to experiment with focal lengths and depth of field ... after all changing lenses is part of what a dslr is about. Did I mention the 60d/5d2 runs the stellar "magic lantern" firmware addon while the 7d/5d3 does not :-p ? You can then buy the 5dx or 5d4 once it's out...

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
If you can't tell the difference between a 60D and a 5D3, then the simple solution is to return the 5D3 and save yourself 3 grand. A fancy camera doesn't improve your eye or make colours so amazing that unicorns magically appear in a cloud of pixie dust and dance around in exultation - you'll have to wait for the mark iv for that.

FWIW I would much rather have a 5D / 5D2 and some nice lenses than a 5D3 and just the 24-105. Lenses are everything. In good light with the same lens, a $600 5D and a $3000 5D3 produce very similar images. Stick a 50L on a 5D and you'll be able to create images that a 5D3 with a zoom lens would be incapable of.

Radiating

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
I am having a hard time comparing photos at various iso's between the two in real life around the house shots any suggestions that anyone has would be great on how to test this during my return period. So far it has better color saturation and lower noise but it's still there. Maybe it's the kit lens but if so that's all I can afford right now. Ohh yeah and I do like the auto shutter speed you can set. Those who said it does not work just don't realize if the camera cannot shoot at your max set iso it will lower the shutter speed. That is a good thing. It's like people would want it not to work. Either way any good testing suggestions would be great. Also it seems like the 24-105 is really not that far of a zoom. I think if I keep it I will have to invest in a zoom before a prime.

If you really can't see the difference between a 5D mark III and a 60D then it's probably too much camera for you. The difference between the two is probably the greatest difference between two DSLRs in any given generation, ever.

The difference is groundbreaking when compared to what you see between any other two cameras. I'm also not sure why you're criticizing the 5D3 for "still having noise" despite it being lower. The 5D3 isn't magically embued with the power to defy the laws of physics. Light has noise on a quantum level because the particles themselves arive randomly on the sensor. The more particles you collect, the lower the noise because the randomness averages out.

The 5D3 collects around 6 (SIX) times as many light particles as the 60D, that's obscenely huge, in the camera world a 30% difference is considered a big improvement. In fact the 5D3 collects around twice as much light as the 5D2 (based on initial comparisons), and the 5D2 collects just under 3 times as much light as the 60D (according to DXO mark).

Your kit lens has nothing to do with noise and color.

Anyways here's what the difference is:

The difference is very obvious, again six times less noise
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:32:06 PM by Radiating »

prestonpalmer

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »
Yikes.  If you cant see the difference between 60D and 5DIII photos, something is very VERY wrong.

thien135

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »
According to what u said, I would say "return the 5d3" because u are not able to handle it yet. (No offense)

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »
I can think of two scenarios in which the difference in IQ between a 60D and 5DIII wouldn't be obvious:

1) You've refined you're technique so much, that you're able to get such outstanding results from a 60D that rivals that of a 5DIII.

2) You've never quite pushed the limits of the 60D, in which case better equipment won't do much for your image at all.

If #1 were the case, however, you should be able to apply that same technique set to the 5DIII, and get some truly stunning results. It's like I tell my wannabe wine buddies. If you can't tell the difference between a $5 bottle and a $50 bottle, by all means save your money and drink the $5 bottle.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 10:00:12 PM by V8Beast »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:17:17 PM »

AKCalixto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »
Bump the ISO up to 6400 and let me know if can notice any difference!

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
Those are valid comments but either way I know enough to say that the difference is not that noticeable to me so far just shooting around the house. The camera definetly addresses some noise issues I suffered from the 60d and i had a chance to shoot a video of my daughter today with the all-i comp. it was unbelievable and blew away the 60d. I have only used it a day. I guess i was just looking for some benchmark suggestions but i would love to grow with this camera and the 5d2 af system just won't work for me. I also think the raw conversions will get better as the camera has been out a little while so I am still on the fence. I did go out with the family today and came back with great shots aside from a few user errors. I will update again when i have a chance to post tommorrow how its going. How can I post samples here to show you?
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

KKCFamilyman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »
Bump the ISO up to 6400 and let me know if can notice any difference!

I did and its noticeable but with jpegs it just retains more detail. I have had mixed results with lr4 and dpp with raw conversions.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 10:08:49 PM »
The 60D is a good camera.  While you would be able to see a diferrence in side by side shot comparisons with a 5Diii, for real life use, the differences are largely immaterial unless you are shooting at high ISOs, printing BIG or seeking more background blur.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 10:10:09 PM »
In good lighting, viewed on usual web size, there really should not be huge difference bet. 60D and 5D III.  Heck, even iPhone produces decent photos in good lighting when viewed on the web.  I like the sensor on 7D/60D/600D/550D, which is basically the same sensor. 

It's when lighting becomes poor or when you need better Al Servo type AF for moving objects, the keeper rate goes up a lot with 5D III IME.   

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 10:24:40 PM »
Another possibility would be to try to hook up with a photographer who is more advanced and have him put it through its paces for you.  Try photography meetups on the web-people love to help in these meetups.

Although there will be an occasional clunker, I went to a camera store today, and they told me they had no returns on all the 5DEIII's they sold.

sek

Those are valid comments but either way I know enough to say that the difference is not that noticeable to me so far just shooting around the house. The camera definetly addresses some noise issues I suffered from the 60d and i had a chance to shoot a video of my daughter today with the all-i comp. it was unbelievable and blew away the 60d. I have only used it a day. I guess i was just looking for some benchmark suggestions but i would love to grow with this camera and the 5d2 af system just won't work for me. I also think the raw conversions will get better as the camera has been out a little while so I am still on the fence. I did go out with the family today and came back with great shots aside from a few user errors. I will update again when i have a chance to post tommorrow how its going. How can I post samples here to show you?
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 10:24:40 PM »

cMojo

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
I'd have to agree that if one doesn't see a difference between the two, then it's probably best to just return the camera and use some of the savings to book an appointment with a good opthamologist.

unkbob

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »
the 5d2 af system just won't work for me.

Because that's what you've read on the internet. I and thousands of others have used the 5d2 professionally without any problems and unless you're a sports photographer it will be more than surplus to your requirements. If you can't even tell the difference between a 60D and a 5D3, you're not going to be creatively stifled by the 5D2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 10:42:55 PM »