September 02, 2014, 04:21:57 AM

Author Topic: Comparing my 60d with my new 5d3 not seeing much of a difference.  (Read 12185 times)

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Re: Comparing my 60d with my new 5d3 not seeing much of a difference.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »
Here is a pic from the 5d3.
It is great. I just shot my wife on working on the laptop under a light with a dark background. I do like the shots better than the 60d. I guess my expectations where so high that I would just be able to point an shoot and if the dof, shutter speed, iso, exposure where right then I would have these photos that where like the ones Canon posts when a new camera comes out. I know I still have a lot to go with but there are a lot of little feautures I bought this for:
Better Video
ISO performance
AF points being that there are more to manually select
being able to set the min shutter and iso for p modes (when the wife uses it)
more natural light indoor shots
image comparision during playback
ai servo 3 for when my wife and I run races and people can pass you at that last second
dual card slots
I do feel that when the raw conversions for lightroom finalize the pictures will be better. I also feel that when I add some primes I will know the camera better. I know this has way more than I will ever need but that was the point to get something I will not feel I will outgrow.

I basically outgrew the 60d for the simple fact that the iso is not as clean above 800-3200 and I know that the better I learn this camera then I can have those clean iso's. I also want to be able to shoot a stop above what I do now to retain my chosen dof and double my shutter speed with the active children hoping for less blurr. If the readers still think I should return this then please tell me since that is why I asked.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 11:43:44 PM »
My 50D handles 400 ISO with ease, so the 60D should be at least as good.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com | For Fun - http://thewalkingdeadrumors.com

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 11:48:03 PM »
Here is a pic from the 5d3.
It is great. I just shot my wife on working on the laptop under a light with a dark background. I do like the shots better than the 60d. I guess my expectations where so high that I would just be able to point an shoot and if the dof, shutter speed, iso, exposure where right then I would have these photos that where like the ones Canon posts when a new camera comes out. I know I still have a lot to go with but there are a lot of little feautures I bought this for:
Better Video
ISO performance
AF points being that there are more to manually select
being able to set the min shutter and iso for p modes (when the wife uses it)
more natural light indoor shots
image comparision during playback
ai servo 3 for when my wife and I run races and people can pass you at that last second
dual card slots
I do feel that when the raw conversions for lightroom finalize the pictures will be better. I also feel that when I add some primes I will know the camera better. I know this has way more than I will ever need but that was the point to get something I will not feel I will outgrow.

I basically outgrew the 60d for the simple fact that the iso is not as clean above 800-3200 and I know that the better I learn this camera then I can have those clean iso's. I also want to be able to shoot a stop above what I do now to retain my chosen dof and double my shutter speed with the active children hoping for less blurr. If the readers still think I should return this then please tell me since that is why I asked.

Sorry here is the pic there is a slight bit of vingetting but I know pp can fix that.
f4.5 1/125 iso5000 105mm
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

D.Sim

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
Try shooting at 25600 ISO and see the difference.... the 60D should show quite a bit of noi....... waitamminit

also: if you're shooting flowers at ISO 400 and seeing noise.... just what are you doing? Post more shots?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:43:56 AM by D.Sim »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 12:13:55 AM »
Here is my cat in manual 1/100 f4 iso 10000 105mm just converted raw in lr4.1. I mean this room is very low light as in no lights on accept the adjacent room I was in and I think it is pretty clean for such a poor lighting condition so yeah just from that I can guarantee my 60d would not do that unless I had a low f stop and still it would be a challenge. If anyone thinks it is not a good shot feel free to chime in. I'm not insulted. I just love photography.

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 12:34:06 AM »
KKCF

it appears to me that you are in the process of learning photography and that your focus has been on getting familiar with the tools. that is great and it sounds like you are starting to see what the 5d3 has to offer over previous models. it is very important to understand how to use your tools in order to get better at photography.

but that will only take you so far....

at a certain point you will maximize your understanding of how your camera and lenses work. it is at this point that separates the truly great professionals from the serious amateurs. understanding and identifying great light is the next step. once you start to understand what lighting conditions provide for really fantastic photography you will start to see that your gear is not the limiting factor. more often than not the greatest limiting factor is timing and opportunity. the light will dictate what you can and cannot do as well as if there is a truly great photograph to be had.

i only wanted to point that out because i got a sense from your posts that you were expecting the 5D3 to provide a significant improvement in your images through its technology alone. this is rarely the case as the best light will provide great photos regardless of the camera you are using (assuming there are capable hands operating that camera).

i hope you continue to make strides and enjoy your new camera! i do encourage you to start thinking more about different qualities of light and what settings are required to take fullest advantage of that light. 
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »
KKCF

it appears to me that you are in the process of learning photography and that your focus has been on getting familiar with the tools. that is great and it sounds like you are starting to see what the 5d3 has to offer over previous models. it is very important to understand how to use your tools in order to get better at photography.

but that will only take you so far....

at a certain point you will maximize your understanding of how your camera and lenses work. it is at this point that separates the truly great professionals from the serious amateurs. understanding and identifying great light is the next step. once you start to understand what lighting conditions provide for really fantastic photography you will start to see that your gear is not the limiting factor. more often than not the greatest limiting factor is timing and opportunity. the light will dictate what you can and cannot do as well as if there is a truly great photograph to be had.

i only wanted to point that out because i got a sense from your posts that you were expecting the 5D3 to provide a significant improvement in your images through its technology alone. this is rarely the case as the best light will provide great photos regardless of the camera you are using (assuming there are capable hands operating that camera).

i hope you continue to make strides and enjoy your new camera! i do encourage you to start thinking more about different qualities of light and what settings are required to take fullest advantage of that light.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on learning more and more about light, flash, composition, etc. i have made great strides in the short two years I have had a dslr. I do realize that phtography lessons are needed but i figured they woukd be better practiced on this than having to learn methods and apply them to a different body later. I will still play with this a week or so longer and decide if the investment is worth it now or in a year or so when I have gained more skill. Did you think the photo's turned out ok?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 12:47:31 AM »
Try shooting at 25600 ISO and see the difference.... the 60D should show quite a bit of noi....... waitamminit

also: if you're shooting flowers at ISO 400 and seeing noise.... just what are you doing? Post more shots?

Will do but I never said my flowers were bad at iso400. The pic I posted was iso5000.

DCM1024

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »
I went through a very similar experience last year comparing a Rebel T2i to the 5d2. First 2 shoots were in studio. Bride selected 2 enlargements, one from each camera and I was disappointed that I couldn't see any remarkable difference in side-by-side enlargement comparisons. Next shoot was a band performing at sunset. The ONLY useable shots came from the 5d2 due to the expanded ISO performance. Keep shooting in more demanding conditions - you'll see. Debbie :-)

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 04:08:52 AM »
I went through a very similar experience last year comparing a Rebel T2i to the 5d2. First 2 shoots were in studio. Bride selected 2 enlargements, one from each camera and I was disappointed that I couldn't see any remarkable difference in side-by-side enlargement comparisons. Next shoot was a band performing at sunset. The ONLY useable shots came from the 5d2 due to the expanded ISO performance. Keep shooting in more demanding conditions - you'll see. Debbie :-)

Yea, I went from the Rebel XSi (450D) to the 5d2, and the first day I got it I went to a dance performance and got some nice shots and was blown away by what I could do with the ISO performance. Now, I'm looking forward to pushing what I can do with the 5d3 :)
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 04:26:03 AM »

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I plan on learning more and more about light, flash, composition, etc. i have made great strides in the short two years I have had a dslr. I do realize that phtography lessons are needed but i figured they woukd be better practiced on this than having to learn methods and apply them to a different body later. I will still play with this a week or so longer and decide if the investment is worth it now or in a year or so when I have gained more skill. Did you think the photo's turned out ok?
[/quote]

From your statement it appears that you are not a professional photographer (I mean only that you probably do not earn anything substantial from photography yet) and you are learning and enjoying your photography technique. My understanding is that your 60D is a good enough camera (probably more than good enough) to do that. You have stated that you think it does not make sense to learn techniques on one camera body and then apply them with another camera body. Well it is not as if you are changing from Canon to Nikon to Sony where the lay out of buttons and menus makes the cross application of techniques time consuming. You are learning (or going to learn) techniques on a 60D which is more or less functionally similar (definitely not identical) to all other DSLRS of Canon lineup. Moreover, there is another issue to consider. Do you think you shall be satisfied with your 5DIII in 3 years/4 years down the line when 5DIV or something like that comes up? Then you will change to 5DIV and that will be a new body. You WILL have to "apply to a different body later" one way or the other. That is probably not a very sound rationale for buying 5DIII (you definitely may have other reasons to buy 5DIII, I am just saying this particular logic is not sound).

Ask yourself, if you do not see the difference between 60D photos and 5DIII photos then why buy 5DIII? Just because it is a "better" camera? But how would you enjoy its "betterness" if you yourself are not sure in what way it is better? Instead of buying 5DIII today you can invest in better lens/glass and two years from now when your 60D grow long in the tooth, you will definitely have developed so much as a photographer that you will probably buy 5DIV (may be or something even better) and enjoy it better. Because you WILL know "how" that is better than your old 60D or even the current 5DIII.

My 2 cents. 
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

briansquibb

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2012, 04:29:41 AM »
I think in good light at iso100 it will be difficult to see much IQ difference. The most obvious difference is the bg blur when compared to a  ff

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 04:44:36 AM »
Here is my cat in manual 1/100 f4 iso 10000 105mm just converted raw in lr4.1.
Imho a good test picture of what *not* to do with a 5d3 and a f4 zoom. You'd gotten a much better picture when using two flashes (bounce and fill) and/or a faster lens  - the lovely corner in the background really deserves to be blurred by bokeh. And generally IS does not freeze your cat, 1/100s is very slow for 100mm and your image is motion-blurred even at this resolution. Furthermore you'd have to overexpose to get more detail out of the black cat and then postprocess it properly - atm it looks like a black hole with yellow eyes.

So the OP has only a couple of zooms and needs advice about the best lenses for his 60D, and then ONE DAY later he's already bought a 5D3 and is complaining about it not being much of an upgrade? Jeez, slow down dude! Get to know your camera, what lenses you like, experiment with primes, and then you can figure out what the advantages AND disadvantages of a full frame camera are.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=5088

KKCFamilyman, really, looking at your postings and the advice given from a lot of people, you seem to *want* to ignore advice given to you. If you are out to do something anyway and just want to have your opinion strengthened, you might think about saving other people's time around here - personally I'm happy to help with my limited knowledge, but no one likes to talk to a wall.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 04:44:36 AM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 05:13:31 AM »

If you can't tell the difference between a $5 bottle and a $50 bottle, by all means save your money and drink the $5 bottle.

I say the same things to my customers! When they are telling me that it's no point buying L just because they're better built , you know, in a way that they have discovered the horrible plot I haven't, LOL.

Then I say, if you have the right glasses and you can't see the L is better in every which way, then good for you, you saved a bunch a money... but it is way better, I add almost silently, and very arrogant  ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

koolman

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Pictures Of Jerusalem
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 05:58:39 AM »
I'm sure what I'm going to say will stir up lots of flack.

For me as a hobbiest, part of the hobby is placing emphasis on trying to improve my skills as a photographer. I am not under pressure to "get the shot" and I'm not under pressure to shoot in low light fast moving situations. I dont have a customer to satisfy - other then myself.

My 550d and certainly a 60d - is plenty of camera for a hobby. Sure - the IQ of a $3,500 FF camera will be better, but that is due to its superiority as a tool. Yes, there are some creative advantages in FF cameras that are not available in crops, but I cant justify the extra $$$$ just for that.

I get much more exited seeing great shots taken with "simple" equipment - that emphasize the photographers skill, then "great shots" - that express an expensive piece of equipment.

Thats me I guess.

Jerusalem Photographer (canon t2i, 50 1.4, Tamron 17-50 non VC, canon 60mm, canon 35mm L,Samyang 14mm MF,Voigtlander 20mm MF)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2012, 05:58:39 AM »