July 22, 2014, 01:59:40 PM

Author Topic: My first real shoot with the 5DIII  (Read 10741 times)

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
My first real shoot with the 5DIII
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »
First the results:

Now some commentary. This car wasn't running right, so I didn't get to put the AF system through the ringer, but overall I like the camera. That said, I do have some concerns with, of all things, the light meter. I don't have a 5DII, so I can only compare it to my 5DC. I almost always keep the metering in evaluative mode. For some reason, I had to bump the exposure compensation up 1 to 1.5 stops all day long. Even in scenes that aren't contrasty by any means, the light meter seems to freak out whenever it seems any whites, grays, or silvers.

I don't expect miracles from a light meter, and as an old film fart, I still bracket. Even so, for my shooting needs, I find the metering on my 5DC is more accurate. The 5DIII seems overly sensitive to highlights as far as metering is concerned, which could be a good thing depending on what you shoot, but I'm not crazy about it thus far.

The same thing plays out when use a couple of 550EXs off camera for fill or accent lighting. In this arrangement, both the ambient and flash output is underexposed. I was cranking up on the flash exposure compensation 1 to 1.5 stops all day. Metering was inaccurate in both AF and manual focus modes. Me no likey :(

I'll have to play with the different metering modes more until I pass final judgement, but I'm less than thrilled with it so far. Hopefully it's just user error.

Has anyone experience similar issues?

canon rumors FORUM

My first real shoot with the 5DIII
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:27:14 PM »

tasteofjace

Re: My first real shoot with the 5DIII
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:14:18 PM »
Fantastic shots  :D - I would love to hear your workflow for the first shot!

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »
Amazing shots!!!!!
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

Frankie T Fotografia

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:20 PM »
V8Beast, could it be that you have highlight tone priority, and/or auto lighting optimizer settings enabled? If so, try shooting with them disabled That might be the cause of your under exposure problem.
5D Mk III, 7D, 24 L II,  50 L, 135 L, 180 Macro L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, five 600EX-RT, 1.4x Mk III, 2x Mk III

prestonpalmer

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »
Amazing pictures!

Kahuna

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:56:58 PM »
What a fantastic beast..reminds me of my younger years.. 8)

Oh Yea V8Beast - NICE Shots!

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »
V8Beast, could it be that you have highlight tone priority, and/or auto lighting optimizer settings enabled? If so, try shooting with them disabled That might be the cause of your under exposure problem.

I have both highlight tone priority and auto lighting optimizer disabled. I have the camera set to record raws to the CF card, and jpegs the SD card, and both sets of images have the same problem :(

As for the under exposed flash images, I was thinking maybe the 550EXs are too old to properly interface with the 5DIII. That, however, wouldn't explain why the metering is off when I'm not using flash.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
I see a lot of chrome and reflections. No surprise EC was needed.
Good thing there are many metering modes to choose from and experiment with.

In the past it has taken me many, many months to get totally comfortable and familiar with new cameras, and that's with daily pro use. I'm not crazy about the endless things I'll have to master with the MK lll, starting with AF.

Nice car shots, great color.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »
I see a lot of chrome and reflections. No surprise EC was needed.
Good thing there are many metering modes to choose from and experiment with.

In the past it has taken me many, many months to get totally comfortable and familiar with new cameras, and that's with daily pro use. I'm not crazy about the endless things I'll have to master with the MK lll, starting with AF.

Nice car shots, great color.

I don't expect any light meter on earth to accurately meter shots with lots of chrome or with highly reflective objects. The weird thing is the camera seems to underexpose in far less challenging lighting conditions as well. There are several shots I took yesterday with lots of black, but the meter underexposed the by a full stop. For all I know, this might be completely normal and perhaps the 5DIII is more sensitive to highlights than I'm accustomed to.

As you suggested, there's always a learning curve with a new body and I'll have to adjust accordingly :) I'm going to let a friend of mine borrow it to get his impressions. Maybe I'm just going crazy.

RyanDavis200

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Always shoot in manual.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:05 PM »
as alway I love your work!

as for metering i stopped using evaluative on the 5D2 and the 5D3
I always use spot metering and get a quick meter from the center of the frame of the part of the scene i want to use as my exposure control point and set my shutter speed in manual accordingly, I've stopped shooting in AV or Tv as I find this method is quicker than bothering with changing exposure compensation on the fly
just remember that unless using a 1D its only metering from the center not from your selected af point so on the 5Dmk3 check you exposure first on the center frame, then compose and shoot. I also use back button focus to seperate the focus action from the shutter button
APS-H Fanboy

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 12:41:35 AM »
I love the 1st and 4th photos.

What was your setup/settings for the 4th one?
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »
For some reason, I had to bump the exposure compensation up 1 to 1.5 stops all day long. Even in scenes that aren't contrasty by any means, the light meter seems to freak out whenever it seems any whites, grays, or silvers.

First I must say that I love the shots and my comment is purely from a personal point of view. From the above samples it looks to ME like the photos are sligthly over exposed - but it works and it gives a great feel to the pics. Could the exposure compensation on your side maybe be because of your personal taste? This said... if I say the pics looks slightly overexposed, it is definately not by a full stop - more like 2/3rds.

I also don't use the 5D mkII, but I have read before that of photographers saying they always overexpose with 2/3rds as a rule when shooting RAW.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 01:24:37 AM »

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 01:58:57 AM »
For some reason, I had to bump the exposure compensation up 1 to 1.5 stops all day long. Even in scenes that aren't contrasty by any means, the light meter seems to freak out whenever it seems any whites, grays, or silvers.

First I must say that I love the shots and my comment is purely from a personal point of view. From the above samples it looks to ME like the photos are sligthly over exposed - but it works and it gives a great feel to the pics. Could the exposure compensation on your side maybe be because of your personal taste? This said... if I say the pics looks slightly overexposed, it is definately not by a full stop - more like 2/3rds.

I also don't use the 5D mkII, but I have read before that of photographers saying they always overexpose with 2/3rds as a rule when shooting RAW.

To my eyes, they are perfectly exposed. Just goes to show that what is a "good" exposure is not set in stone. Maybe the folks over at canon just like slightly darker photos than I and some others do. So to them, the camera doesn't underexpose at all.  :o
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 02:34:44 AM »

To my eyes, they are perfectly exposed. Just goes to show that what is a "good" exposure is not set in stone. Maybe the folks over at canon just like slightly darker photos than I and some others do. So to them, the camera doesn't underexpose at all.  :o

Yes... it is all in the eye of the beholder  ;D But I suppose the way the image is viewed also comes into play - like monitor calibration.

Who doesn't see 20 bands?  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 02:34:44 AM »