September 16, 2014, 07:50:57 AM

Author Topic: What kind of filter to get?  (Read 1145 times)

ruuneos

What kind of filter to get?
« on: April 01, 2012, 05:14:10 AM »
Which one the get?

I've been looking for filters now quite long and came up with Cokin P Series, adapters for all sizes and ND 2-4-8 stops and huge amount of gradual filters.

Which option I should go for, Cokin or like Hoya filters?

canon rumors FORUM

What kind of filter to get?
« on: April 01, 2012, 05:14:10 AM »

Spooky

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of filter to get?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:04:00 AM »
I'm assuming for landscape? Get yourself a decent (Hoya) UV filter on your lenses, buy the Cokin P with ND8, Graduated ND 1 and circular polariser. The polariser will act like a ND2 for you. These would be the most useful. I personally don't like coloured grads (especially tobacco - remember them?).
Just make sure with the P system that you don't get vignetting on any wide angles you may have.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:19:15 AM by Spooky »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:59:53 AM »
The most useful ND graduated filter is a 3 stop, a 1 stop is pretty limited on it's own. However, I would recommend a full set of 1,2 and 3 stop. If you shoot a lot of mountain or hill scenes (or cityscapes), then a set of soft grads would probably be best, but for coastal a set of hard grads would probably be more suitable. I would also avoid the Cokin filters, although their adaptors are fine. For a similar price range, I would go for Hi-Tech filters instead, as they don't have the noticeable colour cast that the Cokin filters have. I don't know if they're available in all countries though.
UV filters are pretty useless on digital cameras, beyond protection for the lens. If you have a filter set on the lens, you don't want an extra layer of glass in the form of a UV filter. However, a polarising filter would be useful, but be careful with it on wideangle lenses, as you can get uneven polarisation, plus for ultrawides, you can get vignetting or even see the filter edge in frame if you start stacking the filters.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

ruuneos

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 07:02:26 AM »
Well on crop that could happen, but it add nice effect in some cases. But having Cokin it would be much much cheaper way, if you get smaller filter size lens you need just get adapter for it and you're good to go and cost $5 so that ain't so pricy than get all sized filters for $50.

Only bad thing what could came up is that vignette, and I shoot landscapes, sports (lens hood works just fine), sometimes portraits and at the moment I don't have wide angle lens.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »
You might want to read through this about Cokin filters. As I said, the adaptors are fine, but I would advise against the filters. You don't have to use Cokin filters with the adaptors and the price differential between Cokin and Hi-Tech filters is small.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=141957
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »
If you're using a wide-angle lens, as several people mention you'll run into vignetting/edge issues with the standard Cokin P holder.  On my 10-22mm, I need to go out to maybe 12-14mm before I stop seeing the edges of the holder. 

Some photogs take a hacksaw to it and cut off the first section to get around this issue, but you lose the ability to hold one more filter.  Cokin also makes a wide-angle version, which holds only one filter.  Personally, I bought one of each, so that I can have the ability to mount more than one filter on occasion.

http://www.adorama.com/CKBPPW.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 12:45:52 PM »