October 02, 2014, 09:05:20 AM

Author Topic: Canon Rumors Site Information  (Read 3167 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Rumors Site Information
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »
Hey, there are a few changes taking place at canonrumors.com that I thought I'd tell you about.

1) New server/host

Canon Rumors was moved to a new host last night and I don't think anyone really noticed. What you will notice is an increase in site speed, all measurements taken show a dramatic improvement. We're on better hardware and are running a better optimized setup. This will continue to be tweaked over the next couple of days.

2) Return of Karma

The ratings for forum posts has been a difficult one to figure out, so we're trying out some new things. For now, only a total karma score will show, so you won't see the likes and dislikes broken down. We'll see if that helps keep things honest.

It's now called "Reputation" until I figure out a better name.

It's going to get abused by some people, there's not much we can do about that. We just ask that you don't. :)

3) New site design

It's coming, looking to clean things up and make them a bit more uniformed between the site and the forum. This isn't in the immediate future, but it will be in the next 60 to 90 days.

Thanks
Craig

Canon Rumors
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:30:20 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Rumors Site Information
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Rumors Site Information
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »
Sounds fantastic.  Thanks for all the hard work!

As to the reputation, I think we were all doing just fine without it, kind of a shame to see you bring it back.  But it's no big deal either.

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »

Cool.

i doubt if there would be a 5D3 type mayhem in the near future (With all due respect to guys looking for other upgrades).  People (including me) went crazy this past month. :)
5D MkIII

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:17:58 AM »
Thanks for the update Graig.  Looking forward to seeing the new look!  And seeing how the return of Karma will pan out!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 12:57:57 PM »
The ratings for forum posts has been a difficult one to figure out, so we're trying out some new things. For now, only a total karma score will show, so you won't see the likes and dislikes broken down. We'll see if that helps keep things honest.

I'm rather disappointed by the re-introduction of the karma system - it still gives a global evaluation and not a per-post one, and people who have a non-compliant opinion are still bound to end up down on the scale. This is because the main shortcomings aren't fixed:

* People will still click "dislike" if they do not agree with a post, i.e. dislike the argument
* You still don't know why you've got bad karma, making it impossible to adjust (or even to think about it)

It seemed more mature without karma in the short meantime because I don't need a rating to ignore troll comments and it doesn't replace a moderation of a forum.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »

I'm rather disappointed by the re-introduction of the karma system - it still gives a global evaluation and not a per-post one, and people who have a non-compliant opinion are still bound to end up down on the scale. This is because the main shortcomings aren't fixed:

* People will still click "dislike" if they do not agree with a post, i.e. dislike the argument
* You still don't know why you've got bad karma, making it impossible to adjust (or even to think about it)

It seemed more mature without karma in the short meantime because I don't need a rating to ignore troll comments and it doesn't replace a moderation of a forum.

We may be moving to new forum software, and will have the ability to do "post ratings" right off the bat. Currently there is nothing available for our forum solution. That IS an ideal solution and one we hope to have sorted one way or another.

Thanks
Craig
canonrumors.com

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »
And how does "reputation" implementation correct any of the problems of the "Karma" implementation? The plain answer is that it doesn't. The issue, simply stated, is that, if the goal is to "fix" the poster's behavior, neither implementation provides enough information to give useful feedback. Instead it allows, even invites, sociopaths to anonymously attack posters without actually telling the posters what they are being attacked for. The ONLY implementation that makes sense is on a per-posting basis. It would also be really nice if the attackers couldn't remain anonymous. There is too much anonymity in sites like this and it is insanely stupid to add more.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »

DanoPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • There is beauty in simplicity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 01:21:56 PM »
Glad to see CR continue to evolve as one of the top forums out there.  Karma, reputation or whatever it is called next helps, but after a while it all becomes a blur and loses it original purpose.

Every one can identify positive contributors and those that are not.

Glad CR is doing everything possible to maintain civility.

Dan
1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT24EX | lots of accessories & gadgets

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
And how does "reputation" implementation correct any of the problems of the "Karma" implementation? The plain answer is that it doesn't. The issue, simply stated, is that, if the goal is to "fix" the poster's behavior, neither implementation provides enough information to give useful feedback. Instead it allows, even invites, sociopaths to anonymously attack posters without actually telling the posters what they are being attacked for. The ONLY implementation that makes sense is on a per-posting basis. It would also be really nice if the attackers couldn't remain anonymous. There is too much anonymity in sites like this and it is insanely stupid to add more.

As I said, that is ideal. We're working towards that but it can't happen overnight.

However, things have gotten worse, not better; since the Karma system was removed. Moderation reports are up, email complaints are way up and threads about "this forum is getting bad" are up.

No action is not the right choice, the karma/reputation system is not ideal but it's something while we work on the ideal solution.
canonrumors.com

D_Rochat

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
I come to this forum everyday and I think it's been an over-all positive change since karma was taken away. You'll never get rid of nasty people and trolls completely. The anonimity of the Internet invites and encourages this behavior no matter what you do. A karma/rep system just fuels this.

I look forward to watching my "rep" go down for expressing my opinion.  ;D I just hope people don't take it too seriously like last time. We will see.

Edit- off to a good start already! I just logged for this post and already have -21 rep!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:50:59 PM by D_Rochat »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
The solution will be sooner than later... I promise.

Craig
canonrumors.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 02:06:36 PM »
I saw one person make his first post this morning, nothing wrong with it, and he already has a -1. 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »
Edit- off to a good start already! I just logged for this post and already have -21 rep!

FWIW, I would guess that the current number for 'Reputation' is the sum of the previous positive and negative karma values. 

I, too, have noticed an uptick in snarky posts since karma was turned off.  I'm not sure that a lack of consequences (if you consider an arbitrary number of indeterminate significance to be a consequence) is the only reason for that, but I suspect it's one of the factors.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 02:06:57 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »

FWIW, I would guess that the current number for 'Reputation' is the sum of the previous positive and negative karma values. 

It appears as though you are right. I was under the impression it was started over. Disregard my last.....

Isurus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
Any chance the redesign will also include a mobile version of the site?  A while ago there used to be a mobile version, but it has been missing for some time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »