October 26, 2014, 12:22:36 AM

Author Topic: Canon Rumors Site Information  (Read 3199 times)

D_Rochat

Re: Canon Rumors Site Information
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »
and now it's gone  ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
The solution will be sooner than later... I promise.

Ok, thanks for the information (and all your work, by the way). Since I didn't see the complaints, I have to believe you the situation has gotten worse even if this is not my experience. And as long as we all agree that karma is a temporary, rather unreliable fix I'm ok for the time being.

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
Karma may feed into the inherent immaturity of a few in the community that prefer censorship to actually dialogue and honest discussion. If a poster is regularly abusive as to require moderation then official removal is the only solution instead of getting nicked with tiny anonymous cuts. People's standards as to what requires censorship and banishment is very uneven (there is no standard) and really relates to how sensitive the readers are about their equipment and the POVs they hold and defend - sometimes it is just sensitivity to any outsider holding a differing opinion.

I think a well stated, actionable response to a posting you don't like ( not a return slam) is much better feedback to potentially change behavior than a super secret electronic rating...but that is me. I like it open, clear and to the point.  If that doesn't work and it is a real community problem not a "onesie" - then it is up to Craig and Co. to block. That is what I prefer, but then I am only a chronic lurker.

That said, it be good to wait a tad on the return of the Karma II, THE RECKONING , until the 5D III frenzy subsidies, people learn to use the camera or return it and the flood of new posters with perhaps questionable motivations leave and we can get back to just being vigilant with dark lords at Nikon. :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:27:09 PM by AnselA »

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »
How bog of an impact do you guys beleive the 5DmkIII had on these "bad" post behavior?  I mean there likely was a whole bunch of new folks joining the CR site with the launch of the 5DmkIII and maybe they assume this forum was uncivalized like some others they go to!!! 

Maybe now that the dust will settle it will get better.  I wonder if a system with a more penalizing consequence on bad behavior or abusive language would be more appropriate to moderate exchanges.

Like if you get reported once you get a warning, twice you account is de-activated for 1 week, and three times your deactivated for 1 month or somthing.  I would leave it to the moderator (Graig and his team) to decide if a reported post deserve to get a strike!

Just a thought...

J
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
How bog of an impact do you guys beleive the 5DmkIII had on these "bad" post behavior?  I mean there likely was a whole bunch of new folks joining the CR site with the launch of the 5DmkIII and maybe they assume this forum was uncivalized like some others they go to!!!

Thinking about it: I guess you're right. There are some new-to-photography people with "my first 5d3 shots" here that clash with old school photogs, and the 5d3 price tag initiates discussions of the type "you're just jealous" vs "you're an ignorant amateur". So it should be getting better once the 5d3 is not the main issue anymore.

I wonder if a system with a more penalizing consequence on bad behavior or abusive language would be more appropriate to moderate exchanges.

My experience from other forums is that it's best if some acknowledged mod makes a public post once in a while when tension are high saying what behavior is not tolerated (any why). So everybody can get their bearings reading this, imho it's much better than elaborate private warnings or bans.

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
I am a long time reader but one who just recently joined the community I have been surprised. I bought the wonderful, but much maligned here, 5D III and thought I could learn a bit more about professional equipment and technique. Boy was I surprised at what started happening here.

From my POV, a new group took over the site and they will be gone when they finish trying to destroy this camera launch. The folks here somehow got nervous and insecure with their purchases as a result. They generally know their stuff here and the facts will sort themselves out in the end. When I was just a reader Karma was of no interest to me and still is not.  It will have not effect.

I will ask what I need to and will ignore those that have opinions I do not value. I don't like censorship of  any kind and the bullies are many times just insecure shadows of who they want to be. Anonymity only serves them.

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
We'll be moving to vBulletin soon, we'll probably do a 14 day countdown, as you're going to have to reset your password. It'll be super easy though.

vBulletin will run faster and have post ratings. As well as other features that will be make the board a bit more enjoyable.

I appreciate the patience, critiques and kudos...

More soon

Craig
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »
Wow, Vbulletin really appears to be a big step up in capability.  Good support for mobile users, and a ton of features. 

https://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features#forum-features

Do you plan to have a preliminary test installation for users to try out?

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »
Hey

There will be an install done that will probably be available to moderators, working to make sure the feature sets work and we know how to use it.

The plan should be sorted out by midweek.
canonrumors.com

coltsfreak18

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
Will you be upgrading to vBulletin 4.x forum or 4.x publishing suite?

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »
Will you be upgrading to vBulletin 4.x forum or 4.x publishing suite?

4.x Forum
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »